GL-iNet Installation Troubles

Jakob Jochmann

Mar 15, 2016, 4:45:50 PM3/15/16
to LibraryBox
Hey,

I could not find the GL-iNet routers mentioned, except in an announcement that they are now supported.

I bought one, just tried to install. The install process felt quite different and led to different results than what I experienced with the TP-Link routers before.

1. When connecting to the router for the first time, before upgrading the firmware (192.168.8.1), it asked me to set a password. I chose 12345678 This will be important later.
2. Upgrading the firmware was a drag-and-drop operation from my desktop, where I had the OpenWRT-image
3. Upon the automatic reboot in the install process, at some point the SSID "Librarybox etc" appeared - but it was WPA-protected. The password I chose in step one happens to work.
4. Neither telnet nor SSH to neither the factory settings IP 192.168.8.1 nor 192.168.1.1 give me a connection. Both LAN and WLAN. I can't get into the device to make manual changes to the configuration.

Any Ideas how to proceed from here to turn this router into a working librarybox?

Cheers,
Jakob

Matthias Strubel

Mar 15, 2016, 4:49:15 PM3/15/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
yes, you need to untick "keep settings" when uploading the firmware. That is a miss in the librarybox.us documentation. We added this to piratebox.cc a while ago ;-(

How to recover?
Use failsafe mode and reflash your router. Attention: glinet devices have their ethernet port in failsafe mode on the WAN port and not on LAN. Mean pitfall :-(

best regards
Matthias

Jakob Jochmann

Mar 15, 2016, 4:53:33 PM3/15/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matthias,

is there documentation about how to use failsafe mode and reflash the glinet device?

Thanks,
Jakob
___
Jakob Jochmann, exploring meaning in communication
jochmann.me
@jochmann
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LibraryBox" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/CAAuLk%2BE8edVUeFQo%2BDjo2Rytf7ZTtOG5XPzgfpVn-i-RtptwWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Matthias Strubel

Mar 15, 2016, 5:18:09 PM3/15/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jakob,
the procedure is the same on every TPLink device, beside the fact of the ethernet port, which you need to pick.

best regards
Matthias

Jakob Jochmann

Mar 15, 2016, 5:23:23 PM3/15/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Dear Matthias,

now you are confusing me. I’m a bit nervous already: I’m not looking for the procedure for a TP-Link device. Do you mean the procedure on the GLinet is the same as with TP-Link?

And if so, what “is” the procedure for TP-Link devices? Google gives me hundreds of hits and I don’t know what the right documentation is for me. I tried to follow the instructions here, for example, but telnet is “unable to connect to host” even after the light on the GLinet router flashes faster.

Cheers,
Jakob
___
Jakob Jochmann, exploring meaning in communication
jochmann.me
@jochmann

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/CAAuLk%2BF%2B9rss5QENFHVa3sWkKSH2_-Po47TSP%3DYpouJHtiHHjw%40mail.gmail.com.

Matthias Strubel

Mar 15, 2016, 5:28:11 PM3/15/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
yes, it is the same procedure.. only use the corresponding image file :)

https://piratebox.cc/openwrt:reflash_with_usb

Remember to set a static IP address to your computer, try to use ping over telnet to see the status of the device.
As the glinet only have "one".. and that will start to blink very fastly :)

Matthias

Jakob Jochmann

Mar 16, 2016, 3:52:52 AM3/16/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Setup a vanilla box (glinet) with these instructions and a fresh captive portal box (tp-link 3020) and am heading out to test a bunch of devices. will report back when I get new insights.
Thanks!
Jakob
___
Jakob Jochmann, exploring meaning in communication
jochmann.me
@jochmann

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/librarybox/CAAuLk%2BF5K8UQM5bPZtFgqnFc8te_p5ix3xhSUmuQ-8hJzGE0ng%40mail.gmail.com.

Karzim Razmataz

May 8, 2018, 3:28:02 PM5/8/18
to LibraryBox
Which Gl.inet model did you use? We are all out of MR3040 devices, as is the rest of the world, apparently, and need something else to use for a battery-powered librarybox.
Any alternative devices would be much appreciated too.

Jakob Jochmann

May 9, 2018, 3:58:36 AM5/9/18
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, looks like my exact model for gli.net is no longer available either. There are plenty newer models available though, starting from about 25$ if you look on Amazon for "Gl.iNet Smart Router, Openwrt, 3g Modem”

Stephen Jones

May 9, 2018, 3:30:25 PM5/9/18
to LibraryBox
Do you know if they all use the same software? I only see it for Version 1

Jakob Jochmann

May 9, 2018, 3:34:18 PM5/9/18
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Matthias Strubel

May 9, 2018, 4:32:23 PM5/9/18
to libra...@googlegroups.com
No, there are different glinet models , which do and do not share the ar71xx chipset, which is right now the only supported one

Jason Griffey

May 9, 2018, 4:34:34 PM5/9/18
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Hey all,

Yeah, I realize that TP-Link has created a bit of a quandary for the project. I'm looking around for alternatives, and talking with Matthias behind the scenes a bit.

We'll sort something out, but right now the field is thin. Apologies!

Jason

Steve Watkins

May 9, 2018, 8:55:27 PM5/9/18
to LibraryBox
@Stephen Jones, I've got 8 unopened MR3040s that I bought in early 2016 when it appeared that we'd be locked out of their later firmware, but I never got around to building them into LibraryBoxen. I'd gladly sell them to you at cost ($30 apiece) and ship them to you if you're in the U.S. Let me know off list at swatkins at skyhighway.com if you're interested.

Stephen Jones

May 11, 2018, 11:24:28 AM5/11/18
to LibraryBox
Steve, Thank you! I'm very interested in this but waiting for approval, as always