Hack for getting around the new WR703N version 1.7 firmware locking

GeoDirk

Mar 17, 2016, 12:36:13 PM3/17/16
to LibraryBox
Although I wrote this program a couple of weeks ago, I finally had time to get the instructions and website up to host it.  As you might know from the thread about TP-Link locking down their firmware from being allowed to change, the new 1.7 version of the 703n router is not easily hackable anymore.  There are a few posting throughout the internet that tell you how to hack them to get on OpenWRT's firmware, but it is quite the pain to have to go through the effort to set up the environment to do that especially if you have just a few routers that you want to hack.  I on the other hand, have 70 of these new routers that I need to modify.  So in the effort of minimizing my time doing that hack and to give back to the community, I wrote a Windows program to do what I need to hack it with just a few clicks.  You can find all the instructions and downloads here:

https://connectbox.technology/wp/2016/03/16/hack-the-wr703n-version-1-7-to-put-on-whatever-openwrt-firmware-variant-you-want/

I hope this will help out people who still want to use the 703n router to continue using it in the future.

I'll apologize right now for the lame looking blog.  My skill set does not include much in the way of web design...

- GeoDirk