TP-Link MR3040 v1 - troubleshooting

Matheo James

Feb 12, 2016, 3:49:57 PM2/12/16
to LibraryBox
I tried a number of things, and my install never seemed to go right. I would always get a blinking wifi light on the MR3040. I could telnet in, and the one thing I noticed that was different from the instructions on the "problems" page was that my USB was always going to sda and not sda1. Perhaps this is related to the USB formatting issue with Mac OSX 10.11?

I just reformatted on another computer with OSX 10.10 and started from scratch, redownloaded all the files & transferred to the thumb drive, mounted and reinstalled the firmware via telnet, and installation seems to be going correctly now (blinking lights all over the place, just like it's supposed to! Woohoo!)

I'll report back once the install is finished, fingers crossed! IANOC (I am not a coder), but perhaps there's something in the script that is coded to look on sda1, and that's where the install was going wrong?

Jason Griffey

Feb 12, 2016, 3:52:51 PM2/12/16
to LibraryBox

Shouldn't be formatting with OS X, in that you need a FAT formatted drive, and OS X handles that just fine...my macbook pro has built more Libraryboxen than any other computer in the world, I'm betting. :-)

are you _certain_ it's a MR3040 v1? NOT a v2? The v2 has been the one for sale for years now....if you used the wrong firmware, that would explain why it wasn't working.

Jason

Matheo James

Feb 12, 2016, 4:31:23 PM2/12/16
to LibraryBox
Sorry for the confusion - I've been formatting FAT32 since the beginning, using my Mac's Disk Utility. There is some subtle difference between OSX 10.10 and 10.11 that seems to format the USB drive differently, to the point that installation freezes when the USB is formatted from a 10.11 computer. It shows up and mounts properly as sda when I telnet in to OpenWRT and go to /dev (and there's no sda1 or usb in /dev, which is what I was expecting after reading through the support material).

I had the same thought as you, and tried various combinations of v1firmware, v2 firmware, and librarybox 2.1 & 2.0 and always got the same result. It was only when I formatted my USB in FAT32 from an older version of OSX that it started working.

So, great news! Installation is working, and I can log in via wifi to my sparkly new librarybox!

THANK YOU DEVS!!! This is so outrageously cool.

I'm just wondering if there's some way to modify the installation script to account for the changes in OSX 10.11 formatting so that I can do it all from my computer?

Jason Griffey

Feb 12, 2016, 4:50:23 PM2/12/16
to LibraryBox

I...huh. I'm like 99% sure that I've done this (I'm running 10.11.3 on the MBP I'm typing this from, and I built a box just last night. But...hmmm.

Let me check some things. I know that OS X 10.11 changed the UI of Disk Util, but I didn't think the underlying CLI that does the work has changed. But I honestly haven't looked, and probably should.

Jason

Matheo James

Feb 13, 2016, 1:07:44 AM2/13/16
to LibraryBox