Only able to telnet into LibraryBox immediately after "failsafe" but not after reboot of box

Stephen Jones

Aug 28, 2015, 4:17:40 PM8/28/15
to LibraryBox
I have a TL-MR3040 v2.4 that I had running in the past. We first ran into an issue when we took the LibraryBox flash drive from a different MR3040 and put it in this one, the other one had a different setup with a different SSH password. Apparently you can't just take from one and put into another. Who knew.

So before discovering that the other drive (let's call it driveA) only worked in the other box (boxA) I reset boxB to the FailSafe settings and wiped driveB.

Now, the only way to ping or telnet 192.168.1.1 is to do the FailSafe (reboot, press reset button), then set my IP address to static 192.168.1.2. Then I can ping it and telnet in. HOWEVER, if I reboot the box by powering it down with the switch on the side and reboot it I am no longer able to telnet in and the IP must still be set to static.

I'm using Ethernet connection or wireless, Mac and PC, plugged in to power and not. I've done this failsafe process successfully on another box in the past.

I'm trying to find its old ssh password to see if the second time around it wants SSH, despite the failsafe. Also I've tried using a different flash drive than driveB. Any other ideas?

Jason Griffey

Aug 28, 2015, 9:58:51 PM8/28/15
to LibraryBox

Yep...the USB is _part of the file system_. Just swapping it for another doesn't work.

Once you're in to the box via Telnet and static IP, you'll need to reflash the firmware and reinstall from scratch...if you follow these directions I think you'll be ok:

Jason

Matthias Strubel

Aug 29, 2015, 12:18:51 AM8/29/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Yes, exchanging USB sticks might not work correctly. Before using failsafe mode, it is always a worth try to use a static IP address and an wired Ethernet connection for testing the box.

It might sounds confusing, but 99% of this troubleshooting guide http://piratebox.cc/openwrt:troubleshooting
Will help you with librarybox too- you only need to take care about the right firmware files

Matthias

Message has been deleted

Stephen Jones

Aug 31, 2015, 10:55:00 AM8/31/15
to LibraryBox
The real problem I'm having still is this part:

I can only telnet in one time before having to do the FailSafe operation again AND if I have the USB drive plugged into it it won't telnet that first boot after FailSafe.
Each time I do the FailSafe I am able to telnet in but after rebooting my LB it will no longer telnet in.

What this means is that I cannot follow the instructions on http://librarybox.us/problems2.php because they say after doing the failsafe reset I need to plug in a flash drive with the firmware on it. Well, it won't let me telnet with anything other than the bare LibraryBox just after resetting it.

Stephen Jones

Aug 31, 2015, 10:56:19 AM8/31/15
to LibraryBox
I'll check that guide too, thanks

Stephen Jones

Aug 31, 2015, 11:17:38 AM8/31/15
to LibraryBox
Fixed! Okay I went through the steps on http://piratebox.cc/openwrt:reflash_with_usb which are of course pretty much the same as http://librarybox.us/problems2.php. This time I did not power down the box before plugging the USB stick in. Apparently that's what I was doing wrong all along. I've just been really careful to always turn it off before doing anything with the USB drive.

Thanks!