radius of library box

Seth Stephens

May 12, 2016, 12:45:16 PM5/12/16
to LibraryBox
Good Afternoon-
I am planning a scavenger hunt that will use library boxes.  I am planning on using 10 of them.   How far apart do the boxes have to be to prevent them from interfering with each other?  I am assuming if they are too close together they will interfere with each other.
Thanks for your patience and help,
Seth Stephens
Jefferson Township Public Library
Oak Ridge, New Jersey

Ben Hunter

May 13, 2016, 12:44:32 PM5/13/16
to LibraryBox
You can turn down the transmit power on each device in the config files settings. This should prevent the SSIDs from broadcasting over a really large area. Also make sure each device has a different SSID.  You will probably have to tinker and test it out yourself to get it right.

Jason Griffey

May 13, 2016, 2:38:14 PM5/13/16
to LibraryBox

In addition to SSID and TX power, which can be customized easily in the Config folder on the USB, there's also the ability to alter the wifi channel that's being used...if the Boxen are in very close proximity, having half set to channel 1 and half to channel 11 to maximize the radio distance between them may add some additional protection.

But honestly...in any public place, you're likely being bombarded by several different wifi signals, and they aren't likely to conflict with each other to the point of unusability. It CAN happen. But doesn't often. From where I'm sitting I can see 5 different wifi APs, and at various times during my workday I'm certain I see 12-20 on a regular basis, and it's fine. Wifi is surprisingly robust.

I think you'll be fine. Customizing the SSID adds another layer to the puzzle though, potentially. :-)

Jason