Announcing the v2.1 Public Beta Release

Jason Griffey

May 21, 2015, 1:09:41 PM5/21/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Here it is, gang.

Can't wait to get feedback! It's a beta, so tread carefully. :-)

Jason Griffey
Creator & Director
The LibraryBox Project

Andrew McKenzie

May 21, 2015, 3:22:50 PM5/21/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Just spotted an issue with beta 2.1.

When running the initial setup script after installing (box_init_setup.sh) if you accidentally press option 4 and disable mini dlna you can then not re-enable it. You get a syntax error and it lists the available commands for /etc/init.d/minidlna

I'm guessing there is a typo in the script somewhere.

Andrew McKenzie

May 21, 2015, 3:42:00 PM5/21/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Also is the branding still set as v2.0 in the beta?
Message has been deleted

Jason Griffey

May 21, 2015, 4:00:34 PM5/21/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Andrew,

Which hardware are you using? I just tested the enable/disable on an MR3040 and didn't throw an error...will do so again tonight with other hardware.

Thank you!

I thought I had caught the 2.0/2.1 things in the beta...let me double check that as well.

Jason

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM Andrew McKenzie <batt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Also is the branding still set as v2.0 in the beta?

Andrew McKenzie

May 21, 2015, 4:43:26 PM5/21/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
I'm using a 3040 too. I've a nagging feeling it's not upgrading properly for some reason. I reset the said and hostnames to test then forced the openwrt image using mtd and then put the install folder for 2.1 on thebusb key and it seems to have used all my custom settings still.

I'm just trying again with mtd'ing the firmware image and only having the firmware and the 2.1 install folder on the USB drive. Will let you know how it goes.

Andrew McKenzie

May 21, 2015, 4:51:00 PM5/21/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
OK. Seems that has solved the 2.0/2.1 branding on my mr3040. Now to run the setup script and see what happens.

Still appear to be getting the same issue with minidlna in the setup script.

Jason Griffey

May 21, 2015, 4:53:38 PM5/21/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for testing like that! I will check the script, and note it as an issue.

Jason

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Andrew McKenzie <batt...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK. Seems that has solved the 2.0/2.1 branding on my mr3040. Now to run the setup script and see what happens.

Still appear to be getting the same issue with minidlna in the setup script.

Matthias Strubel

May 22, 2015, 12:46:31 AM5/22/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Script error is confirmed, it is a typo in the disable command. I checked that.
The other thing about the options:

If you don't remove out the content & config folder, it will not overwrite the content (webpage). The settings will be applied during the first reboot.

Andrew McKenzie

May 22, 2015, 2:45:13 AM5/22/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear. I also spotted an issue with viewing nested files when browsing them.

If I have the following folder structure then it is displayed correctly:

|text
|--Folder1
|----FolderA
|------File1
|----FolderB
|------File1
|----FileA
|----FileB

However I have another folder that when I try to open it on both my mobile in Chrome (OnePlus 12S rom stock) or on my Netbook in Firefox (Xubuntu 15.04) I am re-directed back to the main librarybox page. It's structure is as follows:

|text
|--Folder1
|----FileA
|--Folder2
|----FileA
|--Folder3
|----FileA
|--Folder4
|----FileA

Again I need to test this more, so after work I plan to restore my MR3040 back to the stock TP-Link firmware and do a completely fresh install of 2.1 beta and see if I can re-create this issue. Ideally I want to structure all my folders "correctly" (at least as I see it) as per the nested file structure that seems to boot me back to the homepage. I'll report back later to advise on how that went.

Also I notice that the shoutbox is still not showing messages when submitted, However I had this on Piratebox 1.0.2 also. Then I f5'd and the messages would show, but on librarybox 2.1 beta they do not. If I go to the chat page (librarybox.lan/chat.html) then the messages are there but if I add new ones then the message box just states OK and I get a pop up about resubmitting data and go into a loop if I click OK on the pop up. If I reload the chat page then the message I have submitted it shown once for each time I clicked OK on the pop up.

Again I'll retest the chatbox once I've done a completely clean install after going back to stock and report back.

Matthias Strubel

May 22, 2015, 2:56:15 AM5/22/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about a change in the shoutbox configuration/JS . Maybe it is already different between LibraryBox & PirateBox.
As we didn't found a clear solution, I haven't fixed anything.

What I discovered, is that it is a timestamp problem (shoutbox file created at the year 1970 , an update is not recognized properly by the browser in case of a  internal JS-refresh)

Folderstructure maybe an CSS problem, as there is a responsive design implemented now.

Andrew McKenzie

May 22, 2015, 4:17:54 PM5/22/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
OK so I've managed to flash back to stock tp-link firmware and then flash a completely clean install of 2.1.

I'm still getting the buggy chat box, but it's not a massive issue for my needs so I may just hide it on my install.

With regards to the file structure issue I couldn't recreate it when just using folders (3 deep inside the text folder) with text files generated using 'touch'on my netbook. So I uploaded the troublesome folder and it did the same thing and dumped me back to the home page when ever I tried to open the folder. And I think I've cracked it. Maybe. I'll get to that in a sec. Looks like the cause was a ' in the folder name.

I've confirmed this by putting a ' in the test folder structure and repeated the issue. I have also tested with a few other special characters that xubuntu allows in file names and some of them also caused the redirects. So far the troublesome characters are:

' # £

Now oddly the file structure for viewing the uploads was very basic and looked like it did on 2.0 and on piratebox, hut the footer stated the version was library box 2.1.

Then I ran this via telnet:

cp -r Folder!4/ Folder\/20

And now viewing the files looks really good, its as if the CSS is now working. If I open the folders with the characters that previously didn't work they now work? What's odd is there is no folder called Folder/20 but strangely if I open up Folder#2 their is another folder there called 20 but if I run 'ls -alh' in the folder via telnet that 20 folder is not there. It's really odd. I've no idea what I've broken to cause this. Or where this folder lives in the file system.

And it gets odder because the 20 folder only appears in folders where the file name has a ' or # in it. Filenames with £ in still cause the page to be redirected to the homepage.

I'll do a did of the USB key to upload for you to take a look at if that will help and you can have a look for yourself.

Andrew McKenzie

May 22, 2015, 4:33:56 PM5/22/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Ok I've tar'd the contents of my usb drive if you want to take a look to see what I've broken, I cant upload it tonight as this internet connection is dire and it'd still be going when I wake up tomorrow. As such I'll upload it when I get to work tomorrow morning.

Roy Blumenthal

Sep 22, 2015, 9:38:32 AM9/22/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason...

I've got a silly question for you...

I use a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 as my actual computer. And it doesn't have an ethernet port.

So... uh... is there some way of flashing the beta Library Box software by plugging the 3020 into the modem/router via ethernet cable, and doing the setup from there?

I'm afraid I'm "networking illiterate", so I'm basically in a position where I have to follow instructions, with no recourse to common sense or flexibility.

Do I have any hope?

Blue skies
Roy

ROY BLUMENTHAL
Visual Facilitator / Graphic Recorder / Sketchnoter
Illustrator, Writer, Director, Process Facilitator

Mobile: +27 74 104 6386

Email: royblu...@gmail.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/royblumenthal
Site: http://royblumenthal.com
Illustrations: http://flickr.com/royblumenthal

As a digital visual facilitator, I make speakers look great by bringing
their material to life in hand-painted full-colour pictures. In real-time.
As they speak. I hook my tablet pc to a video projector, and paint visual
interpretations of their words on a big screen. Think of me as a live,
interactive replacement for PowerPoint. I visually summarise, interpret,
make sense of, and highlight their content.