Simultaneous connections?

Jason Griffey

Oct 12, 2016, 2:08:41 PM10/12/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Curious what the record for simultaneous connections to a LibraryBox might be. What's the highest number of people that you can mostly-verify have been connected to a single box at once?

Thanks!

Jason

Allan Lee

Oct 13, 2016, 12:34:05 PM10/13/16
to LibraryBox
During a workshop I had some of the participants simultaneously download a 500+ MB mp4 file and an MR3040 sustained 10 devices. Once we got much beyond that it would drop the connections and reboot. However, another user has told me their organization has found they could hold as many as 30 simultaneous connections.

Steve Watkins

Oct 13, 2016, 6:46:55 PM10/13/16
to LibraryBox
Like Allan, I've tested about 30 people in a room simultaneously connected and without any noticeable slowdown.

Steve

Jason Griffey

Oct 13, 2016, 7:20:04 PM10/13/16
to LibraryBox

Thanks for the response, everyone. That's been my experience as well, roughly. For just small text downloads, I've had as many as 50 or so (difficult to tell, was in a room of 300+ people) and it didn't have any issues.

Thanks again!

Jason

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 5:46 PM Steve Watkins <swatk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Like Allan, I've tested about 30 people in a room simultaneously connected and without any noticeable slowdown.

Steve

Matthias Strubel

Oct 13, 2016, 11:53:13 PM10/13/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
thanks for the info, too.

The issue about rebooting box is pretty easy to explain: The heavy IO load (10*500MB) is something the cache and IO hardware lanes are not designed of. The system spents alot of time in waiting for getting data from the USB stick.

There is a clipping point, where soo much process wait for data, that the hardware watchdog daemon does not receive a "hey I am still alive" from the software part of the watchdog. The software part won't be scheduled in time, to the missing heartbeats from the OS make the hardware watchdog to reboot the box at a particular point in time.

This is the reason why I added limits to the FTP configuration, that an admin & user do not exceed the system power and ending up with a reboot while uploading data.

Idle connections are technically possible up to around 200 connections at the same time, there the IP address range is exhausted.

best regards
Matthias