Locked out of LibriaryBox v2.0

John Burnett

Oct 14, 2014, 9:57:22 PM10/14/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I am really not all that with LibraryBox(es) and even Telnet.

I tried to follow the drections on "Secure Your LibraryBox"
I am using Windows 7
I activated Telnet in "add programs" or "turn windows features on or off"

After powering up the LibraryBox I connected to the 'LibraryBox - Free Content!"  SSID

I typed in 'Telnet 192.168.1.1' and connected to the LibraryBox

I then typed in box_init_setup.sh and choose 1 for seeting up a password

I set up my password and rebooted the LibraryBox.

I tried typing
o (enter)

and am unable to connect...

See attached pic of my attempts...

I am able to connect to the LibraryBox with my smart phone but not my windows 7 desktop via wifi.

Also, what should the 3g/4g, WISP, AP button set to and what are these?

I read a post that I could reset the LibraryBox by holding in the 'reset' button, but i can't find one on mind nor anyother reference to where a reset button is or what it looks like.

thanks..

John

Jason Griffey

Oct 14, 2014, 10:17:05 PM10/14/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

No worries!

Just out of curiousity, did you try telnet (not ssh)? Try just "telnet 192.168.1.1" without the quotes...it's possible that the pwd didn't get applied.

Are you saying that you can now connect via wifi to the LibraryBox via your phone but NOT via your laptop? That would be very strange, if the case.

Those buttons are irrelevant once the router is converted to a LibraryBox, so the switch doesn't do anything.

Don't try reseting or anything just yet. Let's figure out what's up with the connections and ssh first.

Jason

John Burnett

Oct 15, 2014, 6:24:43 PM10/15/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Ok, Jason,
Thanks for the reply.
I think I need to back up and admit I really don't understand 'TelNet'
Should I type in
'telnet 192.168.1.1'?
"open 192.168.1.1"
"open ssh ro...@192.168.1.1" (what about the password?)

I tried
telnet 192.168.1.1 - no work
open 192.168.1.1 - it did try to connect but could not
open ssh ro...@192.168.1 - immedate error

"Are you saying that you can now connect via wifi to the LibraryBox via your phone but NOT via your laptop? That would be very strange, if the case." - yes, I can connect to the LibraryBox via my phone and not the Windows Desktop (FireWall issue?)

Thanks again,
John

Allen Seelye

Oct 16, 2014, 9:51:34 AM10/16/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

You’re mixing programs here. Telnet and SSH are two separate things. Once you bring up telnet, type ‘open 192.168.1.1’ or you can go to a DOS box and type ‘telnet 192.168.1.1’, and that should get you to a login prompt. If you want to use SSH, which is far more secure than telnet, you’ll have to download something like Putty.

Allen Seelye

Missoula Public Library

406 258 3849

John Burnett

Oct 16, 2014, 11:01:10 AM10/16/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Okay Jason, Thanks again for your reply.
I knew I was missing something basic and appreciate your help.
Tonight after I get home from work, I'll try it.
I am really looking forward to using LibraryBox.   I found your project via Kickstarter and was sorry I didn't pledge.
I am a family physician and plan to offer LibraryBox in my office (it's a small office, I am in solo practice) for education and some entertainment without having to grant access to my secure network that includes patient records (and a security nightmare for someone who doesn't even understand Telnet/SSH).

Hey thanks again.

I'll reply later again,

John

John Burnett

Oct 16, 2014, 8:56:40 PM10/16/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Jason,
I was able to follow your directions and ssh to my LibraryBox after I figured 'root' was the user name.

Now I need a primer on FTP so I can send stuff to my LibraryBox.  I don't expect you to teach me, but just as you pointed me toward 'PUTTY' could you direct me to a primer on FTP please.

John

Jason Griffey

Oct 16, 2014, 9:40:19 PM10/16/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

You don't actually need FTP to load files onto LibraryBox...if you power down the box (just unplug it) you can remove the USB drive, put it into any computer, open the Folder LibraryBox and then the folder Shared...everything in that folder is Shared to others via the links on the web interface when someone connects. Just copy files into the appropriate place in Shared, remove the USB from computer, put it back into the LibraryBox, and power it back up. Voila!

Main rule is: Never remove the USB while the LibraryBox is powered up. Can cause bad things. :-)

Jason

John Burnett

Oct 17, 2014, 1:33:02 PM10/17/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

Again Thanks!

Will let you know how things go with my experiment of using LibraryBox to provide a 'library' to my office patients.

Till then..

John

Bill Vodall

Oct 17, 2014, 5:55:49 PM10/17/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
> I was able to follow your directions and ssh to my LibraryBox
>
> Now I need a primer on FTP so I can send stuff to my LibraryBox.

Once the SSH tools are working, WinSCP can be very handy for a windows
GUI to drag-and-drop moving files around...

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

Bill