ABI version in configure.ac differs from so filename

Alexander Dahl

Mar 6, 2017, 10:16:33 AM3/6/17
to libm...@googlegroups.com
Hei hei,

few months ago ptxdist updated libmodbus from v3.0.6 to v3.1.4 [1].
After the update I got a compile warning and error because the API of
`modbus_set_response_timeout()` changed in an incompatible way.

To adapt my application and make it recognize the different versions I
had a look at the .so versions of libmodbus and saw both being 5. In
fact libmodbus 3.0.6 had libmodbus.so.5.0.5 while libmodbus 3.1.4 has
libmodbus.so.5.1.0.

libmodbus tried to bump the version to 6 in commit
fed80f40e729761ca7df9b860aa0189bdcb202fc but the actual output file
still is `libmodbus.so.5.1.0`. I suppose this should be
`libmodbus.so.6.0.1` instead given the variables in configure.ac?

I'm not familiar with autotools so I did not open an issue yet, I
could do of course if someone confirms this is an issue.

Greets
Alex

[1] https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/ptxdist/commit/?id=a76b31d5b637bc89ca26e7fa81503cbc7632b666

--
»With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
irrevocably.« (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)

Stéphane Raimbault

May 31, 2017, 9:07:09 AM5/31/17
to libm...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Dahl
Proper handling of ABI version is not easy, I think I'll just bump to 6 for v3.2 (stable).

--
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné au groupe Google Groupes libmodbus.