Why and How of the Group

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Mar 7, 2010, 6:05:24 PM3/7/10
to Libertarian Critique
To all new readers:

I have chosen to not use a blog format for Libertarian Critique
because I want to promote and easily enable peer-to-peer dialog, which
a blog format inherently does not (at least none that I have seen do,
and likely blogs are inherently this way because the owner/blogger is
in a naturally privileged position). In addition, a Google group
defaults to and highly enables the inline (interleaved with clear
levels of response) format that was originated by Usenet and which, I
am convinced, is the only organized, thorough, complete, integrated,
unambiguous, fully ethical and uncompromising method of response.
(Yahoo groups have these qualities also, but I have not found their
contents to be as easily found in searches as are the contents of
Google groups.)

Such inline response format is the default if one replies to a message
at the group website and it is also fully enabled by a reply from any
email program that either defaults to or enables, as an option, this
mode together with providing physical level indicators (as opposed to
color changes, which are highly limited and often confusing). My
current choice of email program for this purpose is Thunderbird which
is available for downloading for all PC operating systems of which I
am aware (Microsoft, Apple and all Linux variants). Any posted
response that does not use the correct format will be returned to its
creator for redoing.

The group is fully public for reading/subscribing, but posting
requires approval and verification of identity by the owners(s) All
posters are also required to sign their messages with their registered
name and provide a list of all aliases elsewhere, if any. Signing of a
message not only fully identifies the poster, but indicates where the
response text has ended so that readers can avoid any need to search
through additional not-responded-to text which the poster may have
decided to leave in, particularly if it is added context for the whole
message. A technicality of this Google group arrangement is that in
order to be able to post, a reader/subscriber must have been promoted
to "manager" status (Google's designation), which is what will be done
for all such approved posters. However all posts (even those of
owners) are placed in the moderator queue and must be approved by the
owner(s) before becoming messages displayed in/on the group. All
messages are archived so that they will always be available for
reading, reference, update and correction.

--Paul Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
The Self-Sovereign Individual Project - http://selfsip.org
Self-sovereignty, rational pursuit of optimal lifetime happiness,
individual responsibility, social preferencing & social contracting

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Mar 8, 2010, 1:03:47 AM3/8/10
to Libertarian Critique
This is an update to what I posted before, necessitated by further
considerations/discoveries about how non-Usenet Google groups operate.

On Mar 7, 4:05 pm, Paul Antonik Wakfer <p...@morelife.org> wrote:
> A technicality of this Google group arrangement is that in
> order to be able to post, a reader/subscriber must have been promoted
> to "manager" status (Google's designation), which is what will be done
> for all such approved posters.

This is no longer the way the group will operate. All member/
subscribers approved to post/reply will simply be enabled to do so by
the owner toggling an override for each particular member/subscriber
as s/he is approved. As with all others moderation of messages will
still occur.

Additionally it should be noted that moderation does not enable any
editing of the message (as with Yahoo groups), so all the the
moderator can do is either approved the message as is, reject/delete
it entirely (always with reasons) or reject/delete it with rewrite
suggestions (returning it to the sender in case s/he did not keep a
copy).

--Paul Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational -http://morelife.org

Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality

The Self-Sovereign Individual Project -http://selfsip.org

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Mar 8, 2010, 5:12:29 PM3/8/10
to Libertarian Critique
Since I cannot edit pending messages to correct any errors or make
them more cleanly functional (not full of extraneous left over text
and with less easily readable levels because the text levels are
jammed together), I am requiring all posters to conduct the following
functional cleanup chores. Note this is *not* mere aesthetics but is
for the purpose of functional reading and understanding of the
messages that appear on this group.

1) Remove the "Re: [LC:5] " portion from the subject line, leaving
only the Re: [thread subject text] portion. This ensures that the
"Re:" and "LC:#" portions do not build up and that the subject line in
all received messages will appear cleanly as "[LC:#] [subject text or
Re: subject text]"

2) For clarity of level text and readability, always insert a blank
line before and after comment text.

3) To prevent this build of multiple Google inserted footers, always
remove the footer portion during the construction of your response.

In general, read your message before submitting to ensure that
spelling, grammar, etc are as you want it to appear *in your fully
identified name* for eternal viewing by anyone reading the group
messages, and possibly even copying to elsewhere, since anyone is at
liberty to copy/distribute any text from this group.

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Apr 5, 2010, 12:58:34 PM4/5/10
to Libertarian Critique
There appears to be a error in the group's display of the last update
date of group pages.
Below is the current version of the page "Why and How of the
Group" (including all the formatting requirements) as of April 4, 2010

To all new readers:

Here is a lengthier version of the purpose of Libertarian Critique
which Google's 300 character limitation prevents being placed on the
home page.

The purpose of this group is to originate and discuss critical
analyses of libertarian philosophy, both theory and applications,
particularly including those philosophical notions supporting and
promoting individualist market anarchism. The aim is not to censure,
criticize or blame the writer being critiqued. Most such writers are
sincerely and even passionately attempting to promote a better
society. As a matter of fact, I strongly dislike having to find *any*
fault with others, and it sure does not make me feel good to point out
such faults. Rather my purpose is to discover and then elucidate a
consistent and complete philosophical basis for a fully self-ordered
free society and to help others do the same.

[...]

requires approval and verification of identity by the owner(s) All

posters are also required to sign their messages with their registered
name and provide a list of all aliases elsewhere, if any. Signing of a
message not only fully identifies the poster, but indicates where the
response text has ended so that readers can avoid any need to search
through additional not-responded-to text which the poster may have
decided to leave in, particularly if it is added context for the whole

message. Once a member/subscriber is approved for posting/replying by
an owner, s/he will have hir membership posting privileges changed to
enable such activity. However all posts (even those of owners) are
placed in the moderator queue and must be approved by an owner before

becoming messages displayed in/on the group. All messages are archived
so that they will always be available for reading, reference, update
and correction.

Since pending messages cannot be edited to correct any errors or make

them more cleanly functional (not full of extraneous left over text
and with less easily readable levels because the text levels are

jammed together), all posters should conduct the following functional
cleanup chores *before* submitting a post. Note this is *not* mere

aesthetics but is for the purpose of functional reading and
understanding of the messages that appear on this group.

1) Remove the "Re: [LC:#] " portion from the subject line, leaving

only the Re: [thread subject text] portion. This ensures that the
"Re:" and "LC:#" portions do not build up and that the subject line in
all received messages will appear cleanly as "[LC:#] [subject text or
Re: subject text]"

2) For clarity of level text and readability, always insert a blank
line before and after comment text.

3) To prevent the build of multiple Google inserted footers, always

remove the footer portion during the construction of your response.

In general, read your message before submitting to ensure that

spelling, grammar, etc are as you want it to appear *under your fully

identified name* for eternal viewing by anyone reading the group
messages, and possibly even copying to elsewhere, since anyone is at
liberty to copy/distribute any text from this group.

--Paul Wakfer - Group Owner/Creator