FLOSS

theacpolis jackson

Apr 20, 2014, 5:07:54 PM4/20/14
to liberated-te...@googlegroups.com

     You FLOSS Right?

At Liberated Tech we use FLOSS after each meal and at bed time. Okay, okay it’s not the dentist recommended kind. This FLOSS refers to Free/Libre Open Source Software an acronym coined in 2001 by Rishab Aiyer Ghosh. This is software that you have the freedom to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute as you see fit. That notion right there that you can study, modify, and redistribute without negative consequences promotes higher learning and understanding. That’s utterly and completely amazing! Just think about it. You’re looking at the code of some open source software and learning the ins and outs without worrying about committing an illegal act. Now you can get excited and push the boundaries of your knowledge, while expanding your mind and accumulating experience. The FLOSS you pass along to a friend gets passed along and modified many times until a community begins to grow from people wanting to share their knowledge and others wanting to learn. FLOSS has literally helped build these communities. The communities that are built from FLOSS have centralized themes of camaraderie, collaboration, and encouragement. And that’s a big deal for us here at Liberated Tech. We want to build a community where we not only help each and the environment, but also spur innovation.

The last point I would like to make is that FLOSS software is free. That’s right. It cost $0. I’m pretty sure you knew that since it’s in the name. FLOSS will not put a landfill size dent in your pockets, but that doesn’t mean that it’s inferior software. There are communities dedicated to maintaining and making FLOSS better. So with that said, we are going to start posting FLOSS reviews about awesome software that we think will be useful to you. Speaking of useful things, I’ll post some links to FLOSS software sites below. I’m pretty sure you’ll find something of use to you there. Alright guys, look out for those reviews and let’s make this community great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_and_open_source_software_packages#Web_browsers