Any way to kill/restart the IPython kernel?

john lunzer

May 5, 2016, 9:09:35 AM5/5/16
to leo-editor
Every once in a while my ILeo IPython kernel becomes unresponsive. The IPython window itself will look normal but when trying to execute anything from that window or through ipython-exec I get nothing in return.

I haven't submitted this as a bug because I have no idea when this is happening to the kernel  and therefor can't reproduce it.

In the meantime I was wondering if there is any way to kill and restart the kernel?

Edward K. Ream

May 5, 2016, 10:26:37 AM5/5/16
to leo-editor
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 8:09 AM, john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Every once in a while my ILeo IPython kernel becomes unresponsive. The IPython window itself will look normal but when trying to execute anything from that window or through ipython-exec I get nothing in return.

​Have you tried ipython-new?

Otherwise, isn't this question really an IPython issue?

Edward

john lunzer

May 5, 2016, 11:00:24 AM5/5/16
to leo-editor
Yes, have tried closing the IPython window and use ipython-new, to no avail. The thing is IPython doesn't become unresponsive on it's own. I've only had issues with ILeo, and only within the past couple months I would say... I think it started after the upgrade to Jupyter/IPython 4.

Edward K. Ream

May 6, 2016, 7:31:01 AM5/6/16
to leo-editor
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:00 AM, john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, have tried closing the IPython window and use ipython-new, to no avail. The thing is IPython doesn't become unresponsive on it's own. I've only had issues with ILeo, and only within the past couple months I would say... I think it started after the upgrade to Jupyter/IPython 4.

​Not sure how to proceed with this.  The interface code is quite simple, although it obviously could have bugs.

You can enable more verbose tracing by setting Leo's --debug option. It will probably be easier for you to ​

​enable tracing by hand in ileo.pylab_kernel​. Higher levels are quieter so perhaps level 0 would be reasonable.

Please let me know whether this provides any insights.  Btw, it's good to know somebody is actually using the IPython bridge.

EKR

john lunzer

May 6, 2016, 11:32:09 AM5/6/16
to leo-editor
I will do it manually by hand, so I don't get noise from elsewhere.

I am a huge fan of the IPython bridge. Having "interactive" access to Leo's internals is pretty great, sort of feels like I'm "hacking" into Leo.