I'm back: 2 days of moving to a new machine

Edward K. Ream

May 9, 2016, 5:08:16 PM5/9/16
to leo-editor
I have a new, all solid-state Windows 10 machine.  Moving files and housecleaning was "interesting".  I learned a lot about Windows 10, much of it useful.

Tomorrow I should be fully back to development.

Edward

Edward K. Ream

May 10, 2016, 9:31:19 AM5/10/16
to leo-editor
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Edward K. Ream <edre...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a new, all solid-state Windows 10 machine.  Moving files and housecleaning was "interesting".  I learned a lot about Windows 10, much of it useful.

​A couple of notes about the process:

1. Windows 10 has an excellent "reset" function, that will restore the machine to its original condition, with or without user data.  That, plus a post run of cipher /W:c should ensure that not even the NSA could recover any previous data.

2. Moving to a new machine was a great opportunity for house-cleaning :-) A full sync would have been faster, but less enlightening.

EKR

Jacob Peck

May 10, 2016, 10:43:22 AM5/10/16
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On 5/10/2016 9:31 AM, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> 1. Windows 10 has an excellent "reset" function, that will restore the
> machine to its original condition, with or without user data. That,
> plus a post run of cipher /W:c should ensure that not even the NSA
> could recover any previous data.

Neat. However, my personal paranoia would prefer an open source tool,
like GNU shred, or more preferrably DBAN (though DBAN doesn't work 100%
securely with SSDs, which I think you mentioned that you're on now).