Suggestion: Expand right arrow behavior in outline to perform goto-last-sibling if node has no children with siblings

john lunzer

Apr 27, 2016, 9:18:52 AM4/27/16
to leo-editor
Right now the right arrow both expands the current node if contracted and if already expanded will goto the first sibling. My proposition is to also add the behavior to goto-last-sibling if the node has no children and has siblings. Currently in this instance there is no behavior.

I got the idea from the Left arrow jumping to the parent if the node has no children or is already contracted. I think the proposed expanded behavior of the right arrow matches the logic and multi-function of the current left arrow behavior.

Please let me know what you think.

Edward K. Ream

Apr 27, 2016, 11:35:20 AM4/27/16
to leo-editor
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 8:18 AM, john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Right now the right arrow both expands the current node if contracted and if already expanded will goto the first sibling. My proposition is to also add the behavior to goto-last-sibling if the node has no children and has siblings. Currently in this instance there is no behavior.

Please let me know what you think.

​This has the feel of an Easter Egg. A binding to goto-last-sibling should work regardless of whether a node​

​has children or not.

Hmm. Alt-End presently goes to the last top-level node.  It might better be bound to goto-last-sibling, with, say, Alt-Ctrl-End bound do goto-last-node.

EKR

john lunzer

Apr 27, 2016, 12:00:33 PM4/27/16
to leo-editor
I do not disagree with you that it has the feel of an easter egg. But by that logic the left arrow is an easter egg as well for jumping to the parent node when there is nothing to contract. You could call it a contextual binding.

Its easter eggyness should not prevent it from existing. I would propose that both the contextual binding and the binding of Alt-End be included.

Richard Andersen

Apr 27, 2016, 1:35:44 PM4/27/16
to leo-editor
I think that Alt+RightArrow going to the last sibling would be quite useful.     I have a node called Contacts and I add each new Contact record as a child sibling.     Would be great to go there with a quick command from the above level node.

Edward K. Ream

Apr 27, 2016, 2:07:46 PM4/27/16
to leo-editor
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 11:00 AM, john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:
I do not disagree with you that it has the feel of an easter egg. But by that logic the left arrow is an easter egg as well for jumping to the parent node when there is nothing to contract. You could call it a contextual binding.

Its easter eggyness should not prevent it from existing. I would propose that both the contextual binding and the binding of Alt-End be included.

​There's an important difference. The left arrow always works the same way for all siblings.  The right arrow would work differently depending on whether a node has children.  That's more confusing than helpful, imo.

EKR

Edward K. Ream

Apr 27, 2016, 2:09:20 PM4/27/16
to leo-editor
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Richard Andersen <mont...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think that Alt+RightArrow going to the last sibling would be quite useful.     I have a node called Contacts and I add each new Contact record as a child sibling.     Would be great to go there with a quick command from the above level node.

​Hmm.  In this case the behavior for all siblings would be the same.

I guess the thing to do is try it, and provide an option for disabling it.

EKR

john lunzer

Apr 27, 2016, 2:23:08 PM4/27/16
to leo-editor
I see your point.

Edward K. Ream

Apr 27, 2016, 4:17:01 PM4/27/16
to leo-editor
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Richard Andersen <mont...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think that Alt+RightArrow going to the last sibling would be quite useful.     I have a node called Contacts and I add each new Contact record as a child sibling.

​The more I think about this, the more it seems we are really just talking about settings, or at best, the proper defaults for setting.

The present default for Alt-End is ​goto-last-visible-node.  It might be better to bind it to goto-last-sibling. However, I don't think "overloading" the Alt-RtArrow key is really all that great an idea.

EKR

john lunzer

Apr 27, 2016, 4:19:03 PM4/27/16
to leo-editor
I agree with you that change Alt-end to goto-last-sibling makes more sense and that Alt-RtArrow is better left to personalized settings.

Edward K. Ream

Apr 27, 2016, 6:52:51 PM4/27/16
to leo-editor
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 3:19 PM, john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree with you that change Alt-end to goto-last-sibling makes more sense and that Alt-RtArrow is better left to personalized settings.

​Thanks for your comments.  I've just changed my bindings for goto-last-sibling to Alt-End.

EKR