OT but interesting project

Kent Tenney

Sep 12, 2017, 11:33:54 AM9/12/17
to leo-editor
Browser-based web development platform built entirely in PostgreSQL
https://twit.tv/shows/floss-weekly/episodes/449

An interview with the author of Aquameta:
http://aquameta.com

It's not typical DB stuff, lots of innovative thinking.

Thanks,
Kent

john lunzer

Sep 13, 2017, 10:41:45 AM9/13/17
to leo-editor
Aquameta looks like it has similar ambitions to Leo, though with a much different approach. It seems like it's pretty web focused at the moment.

Kent Tenney

Sep 13, 2017, 11:21:36 AM9/13/17
to leo-editor
I was struck by what was discussed in the interview.

First and foremost, rethinking the file system as a
database, making the point that the file system is
a primitive concept: a model of the world of paper.

It makes sense to me that moving resources from
files scattered all over the place, to the structure of
a relational database offers a bunch of advantages.

These interviews by Randall Schwartz are often
worth listening to, this is one of his best.

Thanks,
Kent

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas

Sep 13, 2017, 11:53:40 AM9/13/17
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I listened the interview and I started to think what must be stored as a file and what could take advantage of other storage models. I think that the world is pretty much hold back by the everything is a file mantra. For example working with live objects instead of files for programming have done a world of difference for me. Despite of that, we live in a world of files and hierarchical data models are important, as outliners have shown us. Would be interesting to think how can we connect the file storage world with other more powerful models of storage. For the moment, I'm trying to model trees as objects, serialize them as files to put them into a DVCS.

I wondered about what Aquameta author said about reimplementing Git in a database and I wondered if that is something that Fossil have done with Sqlite. Also was interesting the end question about Glass and the idea of scalable object storage, which is similar to what Aquameta is trying with the relational paradigm.

The idea of a simplified and unified way of dealing with the diversity is at the core of several of such explorations, including Leo's.

As usual, an interesting conversation.

Cheers,

Offray