Proposal: merge both viewrendered plugins

Edward K. Ream

Jun 12, 2015, 10:39:19 AM6/12/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
A recent rev fixed bug 136: Viewrendered2 chokes on displaying @html nodes.  However, the bug fix was an unsatisfying half measure.

That work highlighted the strengths and weaknesses of the vr2 plugin.

+1's:

- It uses QWebView for rendering.
- It allows export of html.
- It allows optional rendering of entire trees, not just a single node.
- And maybe other useful features.

-1's:

1. It duplicates difficult infrastructure code from the vr plugin.
2. The user must choose either vr or vr2, not both.

I propose to merge both plugins, calling the result viewrendered.py.  This should be relatively straightforward.

New settings will specify only the default actions where vr and vr2 differ.  The user will be able to choose desired actions at any time using the vr2 menu in the rendering pane.

I see no real downsides to the merger.  YMMV.  Your comments, please, Amigos.

Edward

Peter Mills

Jun 17, 2015, 10:57:04 PM6/17/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
I agree.  When I first wrote VR2, it was always intended to be merged with VR later on because of all the common code that remained and the confusion caused by the multiple VR plugins.  Also, when installed, VR2 masquerades as VR anyway, to retain compatibility with the pane management etc.

If you are going to merge them, I have some bug fixes for VR2 that I haven't submitted yet (mostly due to not having mastered git and pull-requests).  I can generate a patch file if that helps?

Peter

Edward K. Ream

Jun 18, 2015, 7:02:56 AM6/18/15
to leo-editor
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Peter Mills <peter.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have some bug fixes for VR2 that I haven't submitted yet (mostly due to not having mastered git and pull-requests).  I can generate a patch file if that helps?

​Please submit a git pull request.  Thanks.

Edward