3 important projects at once

Edward K. Ream

Feb 23, 2015, 8:24:30 AM2/23/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
I am now working on three projects simultaneously: Leo 5.1 (@clean), Leo as an external diff, and a web-based Leo viewer.

@clean is the most important.  It promises a large increase in the number of people that use Leo. That will increase the usefulness of having a web-based viewer for Leo.  @clean also promises to make Leo a real choice for developers. That will make Leo as an external diff program more valuable.

Edward

P.S.  I have also started on a fourth project, a re-imagining of the static type checking project.  I think of it as a static *design* checker.  The present plan is to replace almost all type inference with something simpler. This must take a back seat now to the other projects, but I'll be working on the project from time to time.

EKR

Terry Brown

Feb 25, 2015, 1:43:19 PM2/25/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 05:24:30 -0800 (PST)
"Edward K. Ream" <edre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am now working on three projects simultaneously: Leo 5.1 (@clean),
> Leo as an external diff, and a web-based Leo viewer.

Gah, not having time to work on Leo is so frustrating. I'm just back
from three weeks visiting my parents, so now even more snowed under
work wise than usual.

Random thoughts:

- web Leo - XML or JSON RPC wrapper on LeoBridge would basically put
c and g into the javascript environment with all methods available,
I think, I know last time I used RPC it seemed really slick.

When I started a web Leo 2-3 years back I was implementing server
side functions as needed, but it seems RPC would avoid all that.

- three things I've often said I want to do and still seem like good
projects:

+ Finish the menu based access to settings that's been discussed
before

+ Get multiple body editors implemented in free_layout

+ Trial rule based tree node rendering to hide @auto etc. in
headlines and allow colors and icons to indicate @<directives>.

I think that can be done in a way that's transparent to the rest
of Leo, i.e. p.h, v.h, etc. are still what they always were, and
@<directives> are visible on editing, but hidden when not editing.

Cheers -Terry

Edward K. Ream

Feb 25, 2015, 2:53:14 PM2/25/15
to leo-editor
​On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 12:42 PM, 'Terry Brown' via leo-editor <leo-e...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 05:24:30 -0800 (PST)
"Edward K. Ream" <edre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am now working on three projects simultaneously: Leo 5.1 (@clean),
> Leo as an external diff, and a web-based Leo viewer.

Gah, not having time to work on Leo is so frustrating.  I'm just back
from three weeks visiting my parents, so now even more snowed under
work wise than usual.

​Welcome back, Terry.  I've missed you. Leo 5.1 will come out in a few days, though I've been saying that for a few weeks :-)

Here is a brief summary of the earth-shaking events while you were away.

@clean appears absolutely solid. Kent has been ensuring that I keep my perspective :-)  This includes adding a setting (*not* recommended, not done yet) to suppress messages when files have been updated outside of Leo.  And there is an outstanding issue with goto-global-line for @clean that should be fixed before b1.

Still to do:

- Put the finishing touches on today's new --diff option. The major task for anyone is to tell git how to call Leo.  I'll be writing that up asap.

- Put the finishing touches on a web page on leoeditor.com that displays .leo files, either uploaded from disk or fetched from the web.  My brother Speed completed the server-side stuff late last night.  I'll be working with him to make sure an improved version of Ville's leo_to_html.xsl works as intended. Can't give out the url yet--I have to check with Speed that no security issues lurk. And it may be a day or three before the new xsl file is solid.

- Finish rewriting all documentation affected by the new @clean.  I've written the second draft of the new programming tutorial, but it's only in LeoDocs.leo, not on the web.  This will go on the web asap.

I keep saying that @clean changes everything.  I hope you will add your endorsement soon :-)  Again, so glad to have you back with us.

Edward

Terry Brown

Feb 25, 2015, 3:23:23 PM2/25/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid I've had to do "Mark all read" on my Leo email folder, I'm
not going to have time to read what I missed, apart from some skimming
(detached body editors etc.) I did already.

So... what does @clean add? :-} I thought @shadow and more recently
@auto already persisted uA and gnx.

Would a perhaps over-simplified view be that @clean is like @shadow but
with the info. previously in @shadow_subdir moved into the .leo outline?

That would be tidier in general and great when you want to share
the .leo outline *and* the "view" of the file possible only in Leo, but
a loss of the ability to share .leo files without sharing a purely
personal view of the file as was the case with @shadow - no loss if
@shadow survived as well of course, not sure if it did or not.

Or am I completely off base? Or outside the crease in cricket idiom if
off base is in fact a baseball idiom and not a military idiom :-)

Cheers -Terry

Edward K. Ream

Feb 25, 2015, 6:08:50 PM2/25/15
to leo-editor
​​
​​On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:23 PM, 'Terry Brown' via leo-editor <leo-e...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I'm
​ ​
not going to have time to read what I missed, apart from some skimming

​Hopefully the Leo 5.1 release notes will cover everything :-)

So... what does @clean add?
​​

​@clean is *much* faster than @shadow and @auto. @clean does not pollute the hard drive with hidden directories. @auto "bookmarks" can break even with @persistence.

Technically, the new Mulder/Ream algorithm ​used by @shadow and @clean is a huge advance. It is now dirt simple and provably and obviously correct.

Would a perhaps over-simplified view be that @clean is like @shadow but
with the info. previously in @shadow_subdir moved into the .leo outline?

​Exactly.  Except that no "moving" is required.  The so-called private file is simply computed (written to a string) from the outline.​

​Why did I never see this before???​

That would be tidier in general and great when you want to share
the .leo outline *and* the "view" of the file possible only in Leo, but
a loss of the ability to share .leo files without sharing a purely
personal view of the file as was the case with @shadow - no loss if
@shadow survived as well of course, not sure if it did or not.

Not a big deal, imo.

I have been *amazed* at how often sentinels have gotten in the way of my own work.  Now the blinders are off, and I happily use @clean for many tasks.

You were away during what I consider the most important breakthrough in Leo's entire history.  Imo, it would be prudent to review/skim at least the following momentous threads:

Feb 5: A working prototype that adapts the @shadow algorithm for @nosent files!!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/leo-editor/I8mwCxKjj0E

Feb 6: Why the new @nosent changes everything
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/leo-editor/t8CkRDVbnvE

Feb 9: The new @shadow code: beautiful and important
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/leo-editor/Q5tFmzzS0Cc

See LeoDocs.leo: "The Mulder/Ream update algorithm". It will soon be on the web in an Appendix.

Feb 20: @clean is now the preferred spelling of @nosent
No need to read this thread. It just announces the new terminology.

Feb 23: @clean is more important than we think :-)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/leo-editor/PjE_Jn-FKHI
The title says it all.

Recent: I've rewritten the programming tutorial.  See LeoDocs.leo,
"@rst html\tutorial-programming.html".
See the node "@file vs. @clean". The best summary so far.

Well, this is a load for sure. There is no urgent reason to read any of this "right now", but these posts chronicle the elimination of sentinels as a significant barrier to using Leo. This truly changes everything.  We may see interest in Leo expanding significantly after 5.1 b1 goes out the door.

Edward

Ville M. Vainio

Feb 26, 2015, 1:53:40 AM2/26/15
to leo-editor
As far as static typing for python goes, mypy seems to be the GvR-endorsed solution these days: http://mypy-lang.org/

Edward K. Ream

Feb 26, 2015, 3:29:21 AM2/26/15
to leo-editor
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:53 AM, Ville M. Vainio <viva...@gmail.com> wrote:
As far as static typing for python goes, mypy seems to be the GvR-endorsed solution these days: http://mypy-lang.org/

​Thanks for the link.  I'm glad someone is taking up the type-checking "burden".  I'm glad to be free of it, though I'll follow mypy with interest.

Edward

djc

Dec 5, 2016, 10:15:30 AM12/5/16
to leo-editor
Did anyone ever implement the functionality Terry mentions regarding hiding/showing the @auto, @clean etc. directives in the outline view?

Terry Brown

Dec 5, 2016, 10:31:32 AM12/5/16
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
Yes, search for tree-declutter in leoSettings.leo.

set

@bool tree-declutter = True

then @settings node

@data tree-declutter-patterns

can contain patterns like:

# remove @clean and use an icon
RULE ^@clean (.*)
REPLACE \1
ICON file_icons/file_clean.png

# show the last part of long filenames
RULE ^.{1,1000}([/\\])(.{25})
REPLACE …\1\2

# if the node name starts with 'peacock node DEMO', make a mess of it
RULE ^(peacock node DEMO)
REPLACE LOOK: \1
ICON Tango/16x16/emotes/face-grin.png
ICON Tango/16x16/emotes/face-wink.png