bookmarks.py "Bookmarks not active for this outline"

SegundoBob

Apr 24, 2015, 7:23:11 PM4/24/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to use the bookmarks.py plugin, but the only thing I can make it do is report error "Bookmarks not active for this outline".

How do I make bookmarks active for an outline?

SegundoBob

Apr 26, 2015, 7:23:47 PM4/26/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com

I believe the following is missing from the bookmarks documentation.  At any rate, I could not deduce the following from the documentation.  After reading the code and experimenting, I believe the following.  If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

You can't set a bookmark in an outline until you have designated a node to be a root of a bookmark subtree.  This is done by the "show" button in the bookmarks menu or by the bookmarks-show command.  This creates a pane for displaying bookmarks.  Initially the pane is completely blank.  It is a good idea to shrink this pane to one or two lines and then to save the current layout.

If you try to set a bookmark before doing a "bookmarks show," you will see the error message "Bookmarks not active for this outline" in the log pane.

You can have several bookmark root nodes in one file.  Each with its own bookmark pane.  Any of the bookmark panes can be used to go to a bookmark.  But you can only add bookmarks to the most recently designated bookmark root.  The intended use of the bookmarks plugin is that there is only one bookmarks pane per file.

Edward K. Ream

Apr 27, 2015, 10:02:29 AM4/27/15
to leo-editor
On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 6:23 PM, SegundoBob <segun...@gmail.com> wrote:

I believe the following is missing from the bookmarks documentation.

​Terry, what do you think?

Edward

Terry Brown

Apr 27, 2015, 10:19:20 AM4/27/15
to leo-editor
For some reason I sometimes see replies to messages before the
original, this is one of those cases, so I'll have to wait for the
original to trickle through. Or I guess I could look on the web...

Huh, I don't see the April 24 message yet, never mind the one with the
proposed docs. in it. I wonder what's happening. Anyway, yes, that
would be a good addition to the docs. I'll edit that in, thanks
SegundoBob!

Cheers -Terry