Bookmarks plugin - user guide and setup

lewis

Apr 14, 2017, 4:36:37 AM4/14/17
to leo-editor
Even as a user of the Bookmarks plugin, I found the current docstring a little daunting so I prepared an updated "User Guide + Bookmark pane setup".
I used your most helpful video Terry Brown demos bookmarks at http://leoeditor.com/screencasts.html as a guide.

A few explanations: I elaborated on the 'Save the Bookmark layout' step to ensure all the users work is not lost if they close Leo early. I left the option for 'bookmarks-show' starting the setup process in notes at the end, as you didn't mention it in the video. You may prefer to talk about it earlier.

I think it's a more accessible guide to using the plugin and might encourage more Leo users to enjoy the benefits.
Feel free to use it if you like. All comments welcome :)

User Guide
--------------

Bookmark pane setup
Create a node to store your bookmarks, and name it to suit. For example "Bookmarks for Leo"

- Select the node.
- Right click the pane divider, and click [insert]
- an [Action] button bar appears.
- click [Action] and click [bookmarks]
- a blank bookmarks pane will appear
- Click once into this new pane
- the bookmark node is now ready to customise.

Save the Bookmark layout
- Right click the pane divider, and click [Save layout], a dialog box appears. Enter a layout name and save.
- Saving your bookmarks layout is essential. Otherwise bookmarks won't reload when you re-open your file.

Arranging your bookmarks pane

- Improve the position of your bookmarks pane:
- Right click the pane divider, and select Swap 1 above , 1 below (option may vary depending on your 'split_orientation' setting)
- The Bookmarks pane will move to the top, swapping places with the outline pane.

Adding a bookmark

- Select a node in your Outline Pane.
- Now click once in the bookmark pane, and you will see a button for the node appear in the bookmarks pane.

Navigating with the Bookmark pane
- click on a bookmark; your cursor moves to that node.

Reorder bookmarks
Select a bookmark node in the Bookmark subtree, then use ctrl-u (move up) and ctrl-d (move down)
An alternate method: ctrl<click> to delete. Then click in the pane for the new preferred location.

These commands are available by hovering over the pane then Right-click:
[ Link bookmark to this node ]
[ Rename-bookmark ]
[ Edit bookmark in tree ]
[ Delete bookmark ]
[ Add this node as a child bookmark ]
[ Show child bookmarks ]

Duplicate bookmarks
If you select a node for bookmarking that is already bookmarked, the existing button will flash red in the bookmarks pane. Simply select the red button to clear the duplicate bookmark.

Notes- There is another method to setup bookmarks, using the bookmarks plugin command ' bookmarks-show'. Plugins> Bookmarks> bookmarks-show
A blank bookmarks pane will appear. Continue the setup as described earlier.

Regards
Lewis

Terry Brown

Apr 14, 2017, 4:12:22 PM4/14/17
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this - did you put it / want to put it in the doc string?

Cheers -Terry

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 01:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
lewis <lewi...@operamail.com> wrote:

> Even as a user of the Bookmarks plugin, I found the current docstring
> a little daunting so I prepared an updated "User Guide + Bookmark
> pane setup".
> I used your most helpful video Terry Brown demos bookmarks
> <https://vimeo.com/77720098> at http://leoeditor.com/screencasts.html
> as a guide.
>
> A few explanations: I elaborated on the 'Save the Bookmark layout'
> step to ensure all the users work is not lost if they close Leo
> early. I left the option for 'bookmarks-show' starting the setup
> process in notes at the end, as you didn't mention it in the video.
> You may prefer to talk about it earlier.
>
> I think it's a more accessible guide to using the plugin and might
> encourage more Leo users to enjoy the benefits.
> Feel free to use it if you like. All comments welcome :)
>
> *User Guide*
> --------------
>
> *Bookmark pane setup*

lewis

Apr 14, 2017, 7:25:36 PM4/14/17
to leo-editor
If you approve of the update, please put it in the doc string.
I don't have write access.

Thanks
Lewis

Edward K. Ream

Apr 15, 2017, 3:56:00 AM4/15/17
to leo-editor
On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 3:36 AM, lewis <lewi...@operamail.com> wrote:
Even as a user of the Bookmarks plugin, I found the current docstring a little daunting so I prepared an updated "User Guide + Bookmark pane setup".

​Excellent work.  Leo has needed someone like you for a long time.

Edward

lewis

Apr 28, 2017, 8:20:23 PM4/28/17
to leo-editor
Hi Terry,

Regarding these steps when setting up bookmarks:

- click [Action] and click [bookmarks]
- a blank bookmarks pane will appear
[snip]
Arranging your bookmarks pane

- Improve the position of your bookmarks pane:

If possible, why not just insert the new pane directly above the outline pane? or in your code, combine the `click [bookmarks] ` / `Swap 1 above , 1 below` steps into one click.
It would eliminate the 'Arranging your bookmarks pane' step and make the setup process quicker and smoother.

Apologies for suggesting a change that sounds easy, but is likely quite difficult.

Regards
Lewis

Terry Brown

Apr 29, 2017, 12:16:24 AM4/29/17
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 17:20:23 -0700 (PDT)
lewis <lewi...@operamail.com> wrote:

> Hi Terry,
>
> Regarding these steps when setting up bookmarks:
> - click [Action] and click [bookmarks]
> - a blank bookmarks pane will appear
> [snip]
> Arranging your bookmarks pane
> - Improve the position of your bookmarks pane:
>
> If possible, why not just insert the new pane directly above the
> outline pane? or in your code, combine the `click [bookmarks] ` /
> `Swap 1 above , 1 below` steps into one click.
> It would eliminate the 'Arranging your bookmarks pane' step and make
> the setup process *quicker and smoother*.

Heh - bookmarks-show does exactly that, insert the bookmarks pane next
to the body pane. Either it didn't exist when the tutorial was made,
or I was trying to raise awareness of the free-layout system.

Cheers -Terry