Overwrite file prompts

Largo84

Dec 6, 2016, 9:49:41 AM12/6/16
to leo-editor
I just started seeing this the other day (I update Leo regularly using GitHub). Every time I save a .leo after making changes to an external file (@auto-md and @file), I get two prompts asking me if I want to overwrite the Leo file and overwrite the external file, the prompts suggesting that these files were changed outside of Leo (screenshots attached). I am the only one on my network and these files are not open anywhere else.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions on what's causing it or how to fix it?

Leo 5.4, Sat Dec 3 12:07:03 2016
Git commit: after b4
Python 3.4.3, PyQt version 5.4.1
Windows 8 AMD64 (build 6.2.9200)
Overwrite Leo File.PNG
Overwrite Leo Outline.PNG

Edward K. Ream

Dec 6, 2016, 10:53:13 AM12/6/16
to leo-editor
On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Largo84 <Lar...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just started seeing this the other day (I update Leo regularly using GitHub). Every time I save a .leo after making changes to an external file (@auto-md and @file), I get two prompts asking me if I want to overwrite the Leo file and overwrite the external file, the prompts suggesting that these files were changed outside of Leo (screenshots attached). I am the only one on my network and these files are not open anywhere else.

​Afaik, nothing has changed recently in this regard. I am not seeing this behavior in my tests, except when I expect it.

You can try clear-all-caches followed by reloading Leo.

Make sure you don't have two different @<file> nodes referring to the same external file:

    @auto-rst x.y
    @file x.y

HTH.

EKR

Largo84

Dec 6, 2016, 1:29:40 PM12/6/16
to leo-editor
More weirdness! After further testing, it turns out that this behavior only occurred in files on some of my drives and not others. I determined that the common link (drives that did versus drives that didn't prompt) was Amazon Cloud backup running in the background on the drives that did. I'm not sure what Amazon Cloud is doing to the files, maybe setting an archive flag or something that's telling Leo that the file changed.

Anyway, problem solved but thought I would share the details in case anyone else might run into the same problem. Thanks for your suggestions, though.

Edward K. Ream

Dec 6, 2016, 2:40:51 PM12/6/16
to leo-editor
On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Largo84 <Lar...@gmail.com> wrote:

the common link (drives that did versus drives that didn't prompt) was Amazon Cloud backup running in the background on the drives that did. I'm not sure what Amazon Cloud is doing to the files, maybe setting an archive flag or something that's telling Leo that the file changed.

​Weird indeed.  I'm pretty sure that Leo looks only at the file's modification date.  Imagine, touching files without permission ;-)

Anyway, problem solved but thought I would share the details in case anyone else might run into the same problem.

​Thanks for doing so.  It will be helpful. It's not only the universe that is both stranger than we imagine, but also stranger than we can imagine ;-)

EKR