Following up: Leo 5.5 will challenge org mode

john lunzer

Sep 7, 2017, 8:34:29 AM9/7/17
to leo-editor
Back in February there was a pretty awesome thread about some pretty awesome features that were planned for Leo 5.5.

One of the big ones there was a new multi-pane editing mode. Just wanted to check with Terry and Edward on where this left off. I still think this could be a killer feature.

Another was a execute-script-in-common-namespace command.

Lastly there was a proposed show-drawer command, looks like Edward tested the waters on this back in May but didn't get much back.

Anyway, just checking in. Multi-pane editing is definitely at the top of my list and it seems like Terry had put a bunch of work in, would be a shame if it never saw the light of day.

Terry Brown

Sep 7, 2017, 11:48:37 AM9/7/17
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 05:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, just checking in. Multi-pane editing is definitely at the top
> of my list and it seems like Terry had put a bunch of work in, would
> be a shame if it never saw the light of day.

Thanks for the nudge :-) I really should have another look at it. It
basically works, but needs Leo syntax highlighting (probably not a big
deal) and Leo key handling (much bigger deal).

The challenge is that c.p isn't a clearly defined concept in the new
model. Maybe the best approach would be to make c.p follow the focused
pane as an initial 'get it out the door' kind of solution, then look at
possible decoupling further down the track.

Cheers -Terry

john lunzer

Sep 7, 2017, 12:01:03 PM9/7/17
to leo-editor
I always expected the focused pane would be c.p, all other panes would have no explicit reference other than being +/- N positions from c.p. I'm not sure I see the benefit of giving them a programmatic reference. The potential downside is serious, needing to wrap a more complicated model around Leo's existing model.

Your get-it-out-the-door solution is the simplest solution and therefor probably the best option.

I can't wait to see what you're able to come up with. As discussed in Feb, it could be a game changer for many applications. I'm really excited about cell based (or node based in Leo's case) jupyter-notebook and org-mode style interactions within Leo.

Edward K. Ream

Sep 8, 2017, 11:41:17 AM9/8/17
to leo-editor

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Terry Brown <terry...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the nudge :-)  I really should have another look at it.  It
basically works, but needs Leo syntax highlighting (probably not a big
deal) and Leo key handling (much bigger deal).

​This would be a good project for the core of Leo 5.7.​

The challenge is that c.p isn't a clearly defined concept in the new
model.  Maybe the best approach would be to make c.p follow the focused
pane as an initial 'get it out the door' kind of solution, then look at
possible decoupling further down the track.

​Sounds like a good plan.  Not sure how much more "decoupling" would be needed.

Edward

Arjan

Sep 9, 2017, 9:23:59 AM9/9/17
to leo-editor
I'd like to +1 that multi-pane editing mode could really be a killer feature.

Israel Hands

Sep 11, 2017, 5:29:08 AM9/11/17
to leo-editor
At the risk of missing the point - I too was very excited about that post but maybe for different reasons. I would find multi-pane editing useful but for me not a deal breaker. Challenging org-mode at a todo, diary, capture, schedule and reminder level  on the other hand would be a huge plus. In these areas org-mode's functionality is simply the best and challenging these would be very exciting indeed.  Ta

IH