More on vr and vr2

Edward K. Ream

Sep 24, 2016, 7:37:16 AM9/24/16
to leo-editor
My thinking (dithering) about vr and vr2 continues to evolve.

1. I have just closed #312: Allow plugins to disable other plugins.  This is neither necessary, nor feasible, as discussed in the issue itself.

2. It turns out that both vr and vr2 can be active at the same time. They both use different rendering panes.  I don't recommend doing that, because only one set of vr commands can be executed from the minibuffer. (Both sets could be executed from the Plugins menu.)

As a result, we could release Leo 4.5b1 without any further work on either vr or vr2.

However, I plan to upgrade vr as follows:

1. It may be possible to workaround #304: QtWebEngine warnings with Qt5 on Windows 10. At present, vr degrades to using a QTextBrowser when using PyQt5. But these warning happen only after a QWebView is instantiated, so we could avoid these warnings on startup by instantiating the QWebView only when the vr pane is first shown.

2. Imo, much of the value of the vr2 plugin lies in the commands and options shown in the vr2 pane.  Rather than creating that pane, it should suffice, for most purposes, to create new vr commands.  This will avoid all the gui complications, while adding the vr2 functionality.

Summary

- A little more work will give vr much of the power of vr2. This is lightweight merging.
- All further work will be done on vr.
- vr2 will likely be in Leo 5.4 final. It may be retired later.
- I plan to retire vr3 immediately. It is confusing and useless.

Edward

Edward K. Ream

Sep 24, 2016, 11:55:35 AM9/24/16
to leo-editor
On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 6:37:16 AM UTC-5, Edward K. Ream wrote:

However, I plan to upgrade vr as follows:

1. It may be possible to workaround #304: QtWebEngine warnings with Qt5 on Windows 10. At present, vr degrades to using a QTextBrowser when using PyQt5. But these warning happen only after a QWebView is instantiated, so we could avoid these warnings on startup by instantiating the QWebView only when the vr pane is first shown.

Done at 1288a5cb8.  Surprisingly, I don't see any of the #304 warnings now.  Not sure what why.  Anyway, the present code instantiates QWebView only when needed.  At all other times, it uses a QTextBrowser.

EKR