xkcd: Bwahahaha.

Edward K. Ream

Aug 14, 2015, 6:32:06 PM8/14/15
to leo-editor
http://xkcd.com/1553/
Security consultant?

Edward

Kent Tenney

Aug 15, 2015, 9:07:28 AM8/15/15
to leo-editor
hehe

re: security, https://vimeo.com/135347162 is worth watching.
I found it very entertaining and unnerving.

Edward K. Ream

Aug 15, 2015, 3:06:40 PM8/15/15
to leo-editor
On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:07 AM, Kent Tenney <kte...@gmail.com> wrote:
hehe

re: security, https://vimeo.com/135347162 is worth watching.
I found it very entertaining and unnerving.

​Hahaha.

Where's Gunter when we need him.

Edward

David McNab

Aug 15, 2015, 4:01:42 PM8/15/15
to leo-editor
That's always a fun thing to do, if the private key is for SSH access to a pre-loaded honeypot. Mwa-ha-ha-ha! :D

john lunzer

Aug 15, 2015, 8:52:29 PM8/15/15
to leo-editor
I don't get it (even after doing research), I'm definitely not cool enough for the internet, but xkcd often makes me feel like an inferior life form.

Edward K. Ream

Aug 16, 2015, 11:11:33 AM8/16/15
to leo-editor
On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 7:52 PM, john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't get it (even after doing research), I'm definitely not cool enough for the internet, but xkcd often makes me feel like an inferior life form.

​Private keys must remain private. Otherwise, anyone could read what you have encrypted.

EKR

gatesphere

Aug 16, 2015, 11:16:58 AM8/16/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
Or, worse, anyone could encrypt or sign something and have it appear to all the world that you did it (thus the hover text). Private key = identity in many cases.
-->Jake
EKR

john lunzer

Aug 16, 2015, 4:18:23 PM8/16/15
to leo-editor
I understand their general purpose but not why that xkcd strip is funny. What are people using them for, why post your public key? I've encountered public/private key use for encryption a couple times, and it wasn't funny.

David McNab

Aug 16, 2015, 5:03:01 PM8/16/15
to leo-editor
Why worry about public/private key encryption?
I've used ROT-26 encryption for years, and it's simple and has never let me down ;)

Jake Peck

Aug 16, 2015, 5:10:40 PM8/16/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
Call me paranoid, but I always go for ROT-54 at least.  I run mission critical data through ROT-2600.

John Griessen

Aug 16, 2015, 5:41:13 PM8/16/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On 08/16/2015 03:18 PM, john lunzer wrote:
> why post your public key?

Some do so for emails, even on lists.

Some carry flash memory keyfobs for doing signature exchanges to
create webs-of-trust and just to be "crypto cool".

That might backfire in NYC if mugged though.

"Call me paranoid, but I always go for ROT-54 at least. I run mission critical data through ROT-2600." :-)

john lunzer

Aug 16, 2015, 8:19:09 PM8/16/15
to leo-editor
just to be "crypto cool"

This explains it.

Terry Brown

Aug 17, 2015, 11:47:21 AM8/17/15
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 13:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand their general purpose but not why that xkcd strip is
> funny. What are people using them for, why post your public key? I've
> encountered public/private key use for encryption a couple times, and
> it wasn't funny.

Hi John,

You post your public key so that anyone can use it to send you
encrypted messages that no one but you can read, without even having to
make other contact first. To me the strip is mildly amusing because no
one ever does that, you're basically saying to the world "here, send me
a secret message", and the answer is, unsurprisingly, crickets chirping.

If you post your private key instead, you're changing the message to
the world to "here, steal my identity", and I guess it's cynically
amusing to suggest that that message would generate much more attention.

But I didn't think it was once of xkcd's most amusing.
https://xkcd.com/353/ and https://xkcd.com/1205/ are a couple of my
favorites, although they're not really funny, exactly, either.

Cheers -Terry

> On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:16:58 AM UTC-4, Jacob Peck wrote:
> >
> > On 8/16/2015 11:11 AM, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 7:52 PM, john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com
> > <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't get it (even after doing research), I'm definitely not
> >> cool enough for the internet, but xkcd often makes me feel like an
> >> inferior life form.
> >>

> > ​Private keys must remain private. Otherwise, anyone could read
> > what you have encrypted.
> >
> > Or, worse, anyone could encrypt or sign something and have it
> > appear to all the world that you did it (thus the hover text).
> > Private key = identity in many cases.
> > -->Jake
> >
> > EKR
> > --
> > <javascript:>.

john lunzer

Aug 18, 2015, 7:57:06 AM8/18/15
to leo-editor
This was a great explanation and actually made me laugh (at cricket's chirping).