Centenary Bridge, The Calls - interactive lights

Paul Ellison

Mar 5, 2015, 9:07:40 AM3/5/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I've just spoken to Daniel at Hackspace and wanted to see if there is any interest in this:

I work on the Calls in Leeds and have had a couple of discussions with the council about renewing the lights on Centenary Bridge. Apart from fixing the overhead lights that shine down from the main 'mast', I've suggested that it would be great to replace the failed lighting strips under the bridge with colour changing LEDs that could be interacted with by the public on Light Night and other occasions through the year.

I remember the LED cube from last year's Light Night, and ideally wanted to talk to those people involved to understand what would be possible i.e. could people change the bridge lights via a phone app with a queuing system to go live, or would it need to be handled via personnel managing the interface as per Light Night? Some info on the hardware requirement would be very useful also.

The council is looking into the practicality of doing something like this, and I don't yet know if they have a budget, but if anything moves forward I want to be ready with 'system requirements' to make sure these are integrated into the job at the right time.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Paul

Matt C

Mar 5, 2015, 2:21:57 PM3/5/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I was the project lead for the Light Night cube and can probably answer some of the questions you have. Could we arrange to meet up?

Thanks,
Matt