DofE

Amrit Hare

Jan 16, 2017, 4:13:10 PM1/16/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm doing my Duke of Edinburgh bronze award and I'm interested in learning to repair broken phones and this fits in under the skills category. I'm under 18 but my dad is willing to become a member and I would come along with him. Please will you be able to train me in repairing technological items?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad

J C

Jan 21, 2017, 5:00:07 PM1/21/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, ash...@ntlworld.com
Hello Amrit,

Thank you for getting in touch, it sounds an interesting skill to learn. Unfortunately I think it may be a bit beyond our setup. While we run workshops at an introductory level on some topics to have someone teach a whole branch of skills is more than our hobbyist level work can really support. Typically people teach themselves and seek occasional help from knowledgeable others at the hackspace. However you would be welcome to come visit and get involved still.

Hope to meet you one Tuesday evening at an open ngith.

Joe

Tom Oldbury (Email #1)

Jan 24, 2017, 8:26:27 AM1/24/17
to Leeds Hack Space, ash...@ntlworld.com
I have repaired the odd phone but to be honest it is a rather difficult process and there is no easy way to say how to repair one phone over another. It would require a fair bit of experience in the area of electronic engineering to diagnose faults on the motherboard of a typical phone, for example.

You might be interested in Louis Rossman's YouTube channel.

Daniel F

Jan 24, 2017, 9:40:13 AM1/24/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest that it might make sense to get started with the basics of electronics and soldering before going straight into phone repair.
We do have arduinos...