Branding revisited

Andy51055

Oct 18, 2017, 5:17:44 PM10/18/17
to Leeds Hack Space
There have been a couple of complaints about overuse of the Hackspace H logo in the space.
As they are mostly my fault, I just wanted to see if anyone else feels the same and would rather I didn't inflict any more on them. I don't want to annoy folks.

Stanto

Oct 18, 2017, 6:28:11 PM10/18/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Seriously?

Stephen Rowley

Oct 18, 2017, 7:43:31 PM10/18/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Anything that adds a bit of visual interest especially if themed around the space and what the space is A-ok with me.

onlyha...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2017, 2:00:39 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Yes I think we have enough H’s in the space.

tenst...@me.com

Oct 19, 2017, 3:16:33 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
The more the merrier, I’m planning to see if it’s possible to weave cloth with H’s on :)

Matt Dyson-Bird (CuppaMatt)

Oct 19, 2017, 3:50:01 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space

Ian Oliver

Oct 19, 2017, 3:56:51 AM10/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
On 2017-10-19 08:16, tenst...@me.com wrote:
> The more the merrier, I’m planning to see if it’s possible to weave cloth with H’s on :)

I'd have one!

I've got a pacman suit on my xmas list.

https://www.opposuits.co.uk/suits/pac-man-suit.html

Ian

Marc Jennings

Oct 19, 2017, 5:04:22 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Ian - that is quite possibly the most garish and repulsive item of clothing I've witnessed in a long time.  I just ordered one. ;)

Stanto

Oct 19, 2017, 5:36:29 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
To be blunt if anyone is spending their time complaining about Hackspace branding around the space then they're welcome spend their efforts coming up with a different interior design and action on it rather than pure complaints. It's not constructive.

Marc Jennings

Oct 19, 2017, 5:42:02 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
+ several hundred.

onlyha...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2017, 7:27:51 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
That’s great Stanto... until we come to redecorate and instead of it taking 1 day to hire a scaffold tower it takes 3 days while we mask and it dries. Or when we come to move out the building and the landlord insists we sand the floor and revarnish it to remove the logo or gives us the bill to remove it.

Let’s stick to hackspace logos on signs or boards that can be easily removed is all i’m Saying.

Stephen Rowley

Oct 19, 2017, 7:42:08 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
if the landlord upon us leavign decides that we have to return the space to how we found it a few H's are the least of our concerns

Stanto

Oct 19, 2017, 7:43:05 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Hypothetical stress doesn't help anyone, dedicated people transformed the space as it currently stands from what was frankly a mess, if it lays your mind to rest at all, it's highly unlikely what you suggest will happen and be a problem.

Kim Mason

Oct 19, 2017, 7:56:21 AM10/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I like the H in the kitchen floor, and the  paintwork on the ceiling of the workshop. It's like proof that we did make the place our own from the shell we moved in to.

And a woven H logo sounds amazing, how do I sign up for one of those?

On 19 Oct 2017 12:27, <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
That’s great Stanto... until we come to redecorate and instead of it taking 1 day to hire a scaffold tower it takes 3 days while we mask and it dries. Or when we come to move out the building and the landlord insists we sand the floor and revarnish it to remove the logo or gives us the bill to remove it.

Let’s stick to hackspace logos on signs or boards that can be easily removed is all i’m Saying.

onlyha...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2017, 8:23:06 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Fair enough... but I see this time and time again, it’s the directors who will be liable so I guess time will tell. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

samson B

Oct 19, 2017, 8:26:11 AM10/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
can i just point out the kitchen  floor is fake and can be removed in a few minuites

Kim Mason

Oct 19, 2017, 8:36:00 AM10/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Lead a horse to water? The horse was already at the water, you can't tell it the waters bad then refused to lead it to better.

Like stanto said previously, criticism thats not constructive helps no one. If someone has a better suggestion then they should make it, but from what I've heard people really like what we have currently.

onlyha...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2017, 9:28:29 AM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
It’s not a criticism it’s my opinion based on experience.

Daniel Fligg

Oct 19, 2017, 1:30:26 PM10/19/17
to Leeds Hackspace
oh you peeps =)

going back to the original question, I think it'd be lovely to be able to diversify a bit rather than using the somewhat impersonal H logo. It's ace to identify with the HackSpace movement but it'd also be nice to identify ourselves as Leeds with something more than just a whiter shade of pale  blue. So a second logo/icon/mascot makes perfect sense to me.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it impossible to to see a rabbit without thinking of NottingHack. Certainly when I stand on one, it's Nottingham I curse...

In a similar vein, I suggest we adopt "Dally, the Llama" as our new mascot and not only because Llama rhymes with discussion, but also 'cos llamas are cute.

Fligg

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM, <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
It’s not a criticism it’s my opinion based on experience.

Daniel Fligg
Leeds Hackspace Director

Stanto

samson B

Oct 19, 2017, 1:42:04 PM10/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
flig you forget the armadillos that kim makes there cute to ( and the cute animal flood gate opens ;) ) . iv gone through two rebrands at work and i dont think we should rush this perhaps start with add two more colours and see where we go the last thing we want is a maskot we live to regret ?

Kim Mason

Oct 19, 2017, 1:46:54 PM10/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Pangolin

Matt Dyson-Bird (CuppaMatt)

Oct 19, 2017, 1:47:01 PM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
If people don't mind a mascot being cute and cartoon-y I'll happily design us one & draw up a few versions of them for around the space

samson B

Oct 19, 2017, 2:07:47 PM10/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
sorry kim

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Matt Dyson-Bird (CuppaMatt) <keo...@gmail.com> wrote:
If people don't mind a mascot being cute and cartoon-y I'll happily design us one & draw up a few versions of them for around the space

Andy51055

Oct 19, 2017, 2:24:13 PM10/19/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Like a blue cartoony-cute pangolin rolled into a ball and hiding behind a big blocky H?

Ian Oliver

Oct 19, 2017, 4:56:53 PM10/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Andy51055
On 19/10/17 19:24, Andy51055 wrote:
> Like a blue cartoony-cute pangolin rolled into a ball and hiding
> behind a big blocky H?

I've printed one of the articulated Pangolins  from Thingiverse and will
happily do another!

Yup, even in blue.

Parsley

Oct 22, 2017, 10:31:58 AM10/22/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I was not aware Leeds had a thing for turtles or hippos? Where do I go to see these things? Is there a bridge?

Re: Branding though. I'm good with what we've got. I think I'd like to see a stronger identifier of us over other spaces but I'm not sure what that'd be. Probs be good to have folks pitch ideas.

Stephen Rowley

Oct 22, 2017, 11:17:19 AM10/22/17
to Leeds Hack Space
For Turtles You could visit tropical world.

Stephen Rowley

Oct 22, 2017, 11:19:14 AM10/22/17
to Leeds Hack Space
as its leeds surly we should have either a sheep or owls

Marc Jennings

Oct 22, 2017, 11:26:07 AM10/22/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I think you mean rhinos, surely?

Sent from my Pixel

Stanto

Oct 22, 2017, 1:22:48 PM10/22/17
to Leeds Hack Space

Stanto

Oct 22, 2017, 1:24:31 PM10/22/17
to Leeds Hack Space

samson B

Oct 22, 2017, 4:35:39 PM10/22/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
hav took a pic of an evil pingo. H and evil might work ?

Andy51055

Oct 22, 2017, 5:12:19 PM10/22/17
to Leeds Hack Space

Evil Pingu? Surely not!

I was thinking that to attract more members we need to go with something really popular, innocuous and well-loved, rather than evil. I was picturing the Hackspace H dangling from a fishing line. What could possibly go wrong with associating hacking and fishing?

samson B

Oct 23, 2017, 4:25:09 AM10/23/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Why do u see people in black suits and sunglasses apear at our door next tusday ;)