Smoking (food)

Andy51055

Apr 6, 2018, 1:45:11 PM4/6/18
to Leeds Hack Space
There was talk a while ago about the idea of smoking food at the space. Is anyone still interested?

As far as I can see all we would need is an old tall fridge (with as many wire shelves as we can find) and a large metal sieve.
And food, obviously.

Matthew has been working with sapele, an African hardwood, which apparently gives a strong smoke flavour. He has given us a bag of fine sawdust to play with, so it seems a shame not to see what it tastes of.

To do cold smoking, we would need to push the middle of the sieve up and then make a ring of sawdust in it. Using the gas soldering iron we get the sawdust smoldering at one point. Then place it on a stand at the bottom of the fridge with the food on the shelves above, close the door and wait 4 hours.

That's it.

Anyone got a tall dead fridge on their street?

Ian Oliver

Apr 7, 2018, 3:11:04 AM4/7/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Andy51055
On 06/04/18 18:45, Andy51055 wrote:
> Then place it on a stand at the bottom of the fridge with the food on
> the shelves above, close the door and wait 4 hours.
>
> That's it.

I do a fair bit of cold smoking (salmon, cheese, butter, chicken, duck,
chick peas, and much more), have read widely on the subject, and have
done the odd course.

This book is a good start and I have a paper copy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoking-Food-Home-Smoky-Jo/dp/1908098511

If people are just wanting to smoke cheese etc. then it's pretty much as
described and that book describes a number of "lash up" smokers you can
make with filing cabinets etc.  I've made a small wooden case with metal
shelves that I use and it's portable if anyone wants to see it.

If you're wanting to smoke anything that isn't cooked afterwards
(salmon), or where there are hygiene issues with having it at ambient
for a long time (chicken), then it's essential that you know how to
brine/cure and handle the product or you're going to make someone ill.

The smell of the smoke is also very penetrating and long-lasting, so
thoughts need to be given to extraction.

I'm more than game (though my small home smoker can keep up with my
needs) and I can put my hands on a Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator that I
might even be able to donate or long-term loan.

Ian

Parsley

Apr 8, 2018, 4:17:25 PM4/8/18
to Leeds Hack Space
No fridges but do I do have a crap load of food grade steel cans that in theory could be cut tofether to make mini stove smokers.

Stanto

Apr 8, 2018, 4:57:56 PM4/8/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Sorry, no dead tall fridge.

It may want to have a filter before the smoke hits the food though: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180320084409.htm :D

Elliot Norbury

Apr 8, 2018, 5:43:33 PM4/8/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
There is an old dead fridge lying on the lawn a house or two outside of my place, not entirely sure how suitable it would be but let me know!

Tanya Perry

Apr 11, 2018, 3:29:06 AM4/11/18
to Leeds Hack Space
I'd be interested in this!! Shame the fridge abandoned outside my flat has finally vanished, but it appears we are not short on them.

Ian Oliver

Apr 11, 2018, 3:58:47 AM4/11/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Tanya Perry
On 11/04/18 08:29, Tanya Perry wrote:
> I'd be interested in this!!

I could maybe be persuaded to do a "show and tell" regards the
fundamentals of hot and cold smoking, and maybe to bring down some
samples and the equipment that I use.

The people I did my course with (authors of that book) don't do them any
longer so I'm happy to slightly plagiarise their material.

Ian