Mendlemax work

Troy West

Aug 1, 2017, 2:34:56 PM8/1/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Unless anyone is opposed I would like to make fixing up the Mendlemax my pet project.

I'm looking at upgrading degraded parts, getting alignments right, optimizing and generally focusing on quality and stability.  I have run of a couple newer ABS parts to replace the aging PLA ones, I have an enclosure coming for my printer that should allow me to run them off more reliably.  I'm certainly not opposed to working with someone, but would like to coordinate work as to not step on toes.

Someone brought in a box of newer parts for it, I'd like to see if I could get a link to some of the thingiverse pages for the parts in order to see what I'll need to use them on the machine.

Also once I form a full idea of any new bits of hardware (probably mostly bearings) how might I go about placing a request to get them ordered?

J C

Aug 1, 2017, 3:30:31 PM8/1/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Troy,

You may want to link up with James for this as he is tinkering away with this at the moment.

we have printed parts for new extruders

and Z upgrades

the tricky bit are some of the accompanying hardware.

When you find out what you need and have a souce email a list with links and costs to the directors email account and leave the rest to me.

Joe

Stanto

Aug 1, 2017, 5:44:11 PM8/1/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Also please update

As you go, as a kind of log of progress and areas which still need work.

If you need a wiki account, get in touch with me on slack/irc.

Troy West

Aug 2, 2017, 6:22:31 AM8/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I'm still learning names, what would be the best way to contact him?

Ian Oliver

Aug 2, 2017, 6:40:32 AM8/2/17
On 2017-08-01 19:34, Troy West wrote:
> Someone brought in a box of newer parts for it,

If these are the blue ones, I printed these to order for JC in PLA.

I've got PLA parts on my Wanhao and print a fair bit of ABS in an
enclosure without them suffering. ABS is better at high temperatures but
it's hard to get dimensional accuracy in ABS due to it shrinking as it
cools. PETG is another option.

Ian

Troy West

Aug 2, 2017, 12:54:37 PM8/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space, li...@foxhill.co.uk
Those are some pretty fine prints!  I'm going to see what I can do about using them to upgrade the machine.

I can print usable but often ugly ABS parts with my Taz, I'm expecting better results after installing the enclosure.  I'm drifting mostly towards ABS for the parts I print, not necessarily for heat reasons but toughness.  Both PLA and PETG in my experience tend to not handle stress and impact well (not that I expect the printer to be hit by anything... but I suppose it could happen).  Generally ABS modifies really well, I usually increase my shell thickness to accommodate drilling on other minor modifications I might need.  As far as ABS shrinkage in my experience it depends on how the model was designed, the couple of models from the MendleMax 1.5 thingiverse page seem to fit pretty without further mods.  I'll generally adjust parts for shrinkage and trim the extra off if there is any.

James Rogers

Aug 7, 2017, 2:33:22 PM8/7/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Hay troy
I'm James :p
Just got back from the hack space.
But I think the Mendlesham should be in a pretty fine printing state hehe.
Wasn't able to test at but
1 have reset the z stepper setting as it was way off
2 tightened some cables away from the hotel
3 moved then axis sensor adjuster to a lower place to make it more of a fine tuning tool (but better adjuster would be good)
4 set the z hight nicely
5 used some of the filament from the bag to make sure it wasn't the old filament (should be able to print with the old stuff but it might not be as pretty)
6 Replaced the z home sensor switch for a spare for better registration on home
7 resetup cura as it had been updated but not connecting

I have started to look at the Wallace as well but didn't get far (didn't have the same over heating we got the other week though?)

I won't be in this open night but some one "please" do try to print some stuff :D
If your up for it try a calibration cube and get the calipers to it to see if we're printing square.

James Rogers

Aug 7, 2017, 2:36:18 PM8/7/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Oh and the computer next to the mendel have the reprap build page open with the mendle pages open :D has upgrade stuff on it but I haven't looked yet

J C

Aug 7, 2017, 3:44:47 PM8/7/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff James. Ill get it printing a test cube tomorrow.

With the smaller printer the head sensor was not reading temp correctly. So the head was getting much higher than it should.

On 7 Aug 2017 7:36 pm, "James Rogers" <jwjr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh and the computer next to the mendel have the reprap build page open with the mendle pages open :D has upgrade stuff on it but I haven't looked yet

Troy West

Aug 7, 2017, 6:24:16 PM8/7/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Oh nice =D.  I'm still pretty concerned about the state of many of the printed parts though, with as loose as that carriage and hot end are I am not sure how consistent it would stay.  I replaced the Y axis belt parts already (they pretty much snapped apart in my hand XP)  Not sure when I can make it to the space this week.

We have a Z home sensor? =O  I was going to see how cheaply we could add some auto bed leveling but hadn't gotten started with the research.

I'd also like to see if we can capture the machine's current firmware settings on the wiki. (e-steps, z offset, ect)

James Rogers

Aug 8, 2017, 3:39:29 AM8/8/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Lol

Yes we have a z sensor

The stepper settings seem to be at there default levels
X-0.08
Y-0.08
Z-0.40
E-0.30 (I think that's the setting for E)

But will be changing them after some cubes

Gadgetmind

Aug 14, 2017, 4:20:54 AM8/14/17
On 01/08/17 19:34, Troy West wrote:
> I'm looking at upgrading degraded parts, getting alignments right,
optimizing and generally focusing on quality and stability. I have run
of a couple newer ABS parts to replace the aging PLA ones, I have an
enclosure coming for my printer that should allow me to run them off
more reliably. I'm certainly not opposed to working with someone, but
would like to coordinate work as to not step on toes.

BTW, is there a plan to fit a filament cooling fan? These are essential
for good overhangs and bridging in PLA, but you can get away without for
a lot of ABS.

Troy West

Aug 14, 2017, 9:43:52 AM8/14/17
to Leeds Hack Space, li...@foxhill.co.uk
Yes that's on my list.  Ideally we'll be able to add the onto the new hotend carriage when I print it out.

Ian Oliver

Aug 16, 2017, 10:24:56 AM8/16/17
On 2017-08-14 14:43, Troy West wrote:
> Yes that's on my list. Ideally we'll be able to add the onto the new
> hotend carriage when I print it out.

Great, sounds like you have a plan. I printed this "Cobra" cooler in
ABS, which went surprisingly well, so let me know if you need anything.

2017-05-07 08.35.55.jpg

James Rogers

Aug 17, 2017, 5:21:16 PM8/17/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I spent some time at the mendlemax on Wednesday...
And I think it might need a complete overhaul...
Every time I get one aspect resolved there is another.
So I think at some point a complete disassembly,clean,reassembly and possibly a firmware push as it's flaky as well.
Was hoping to get a t in a fit state for inductions and use but I don't think it's going to get there before a rebuild :s

Troy West

Aug 18, 2017, 5:56:38 AM8/18/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I agree, that's my goal anyway. Unfortunately me being busy is making it slow. I should be able to get some of it done this week.

James Finnerty

Sep 7, 2017, 12:35:44 PM9/7/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi James,

Are you still trying to get that Mendler 3Dprinter up and running in the hack space ?

If so I am more than happy to pitch in and do the necessary.

If you could just bring me up to where we are with the project and what you would like me to look at..

Hope I can get my hands dirty with this.

Cheers,
James.

Stanto

Sep 7, 2017, 1:11:36 PM9/7/17
to Leeds Hack Space
The hackspace mendelmax (the large one) is currently out of order and not to be used or powered on.

James Finnerty

Sep 7, 2017, 1:33:29 PM9/7/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi Stanto,

Yeah I am aware of this.  I am offering my services to help get it up and running.

James Rogers

Sep 7, 2017, 3:00:01 PM9/7/17
to Leeds Hack Space
At the moment Stanto is endeavoring to get the firmware updated
it is completely un-operational at the mo

if he can manage to get it to take the firmware we will then be able to see where we stand with it

we may need to rebuild it from scratch but wont know until we can flash the firmware
so stay tuned as all help will be welcomed

p.s. thanks stanto

James Finnerty

Sep 7, 2017, 3:24:42 PM9/7/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Well, if required I have a Spare Melzi V2.0 Board, Spare Arduino Mega & required raps board.

Both of which take the Marlin Firmware.  I've included a pic.

Both have been used but are in good working order.

And I am happy to donate them to the cause of a poorly 3d printer.
20170907_201719.jpg

Troy West

Sep 8, 2017, 5:42:02 AM9/8/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I still intend to help, and I have some parts run off for it to replace some of the aging ones. My schedule has just been too crazy to pop over. I'll have some time this Saturday though. Is there any other info along with what was listed above?

James Rogers

Sep 8, 2017, 3:52:05 PM9/8/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Thanks again James ;p

James Rogers

Sep 8, 2017, 3:54:34 PM9/8/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I think stanto has posted a rather comprehensive post about the printer and the flashing issues he has incounterd.
It's under the header "Firmware on the Sanguinololu 3D Printer"