enabling the lathe again.

Angus Taggart

Sep 12, 2016, 9:03:29 AM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I have been doing a lot of lathing of things of late, one thing of note
has been the slack/tightness of the compound at either end of it's
travel, and my attempts to remedy it were defeated by some rounded
fixings for adjusting the gibs.

so I have removed one of the offending screws for identification and I
have been shopping today.

They are 3/16th dog point grub screws about 20mm long.

the best I could get hold of were hex head so plan to turn down the end
to the correct point and replace them this afternoon.

I have also noticed that the powered feed on the lathe has been off for
a while and would be great to get it back running again.

it looks like the cog that connects to the lead screw has been removed,
anyone know what is happening here? and what needs to happen to get it
turning again?

Angus

Aidan Dunbar

Sep 12, 2016, 9:12:49 AM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
The slackness in the gibs can be adjusted out, thanks for getting the new screws. I've been meaning to identify them for a while!

The lead screw bevel gears exploded themselves a little while ago. Fix will occur once we move to new space when we have time to make new ones or funds to buy the (expensive) replacements. Also suggested was an electronic lead screw, which would partly solve the problem of not having any change gears.

Angus

Angus Taggart

Sep 12, 2016, 11:42:25 AM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I got the gibs to a point where it better, but the round nuts killed any
hope of getting it right and it staying right.

since then I realised we don't have the imperial spanners.

good to know about the gears going pop, I did wonder.
I will keep an eye open on this.

I was also looking at grabbing some thumbscrews for setting the
indicator dials, but forgot to measure them yesterday.

I have been wondering about the position of the start stop box as well,
perhaps this is one to consider after moving.
I realise it is nicely positioned so when you get caught in the gears,
you can still reach the start button, but I cant help but get a little
nervous as the action puts your body and face nicely inline with the chuck.
Combined with brushing the box with my leg whilst changing the chuck I
tend to finish a nervous wreck.
having the Estop there is grand but being able to start it from a
different position would be great

I realise it isnt a 5 min job but as we are dismantling it during the
move it might be a good opportunity.

any thoughts?

Angus

On 12/09/16 14:12, 'Aidan Dunbar' via Leeds Hack Space wrote:
> The slackness in the gibs can be adjusted out, thanks for getting the
> new screws. I've been meaning to identify them for a while!
>
> The lead screw bevel gears exploded themselves a little while ago. Fix
> will occur once we move to new space when we have time to make new ones
> or funds to buy the (expensive) replacements. Also suggested was an
> electronic lead screw, which would partly solve the problem of not
> having any change gears.

> On 12 September 2016 at 14:03, Angus Taggart <aj...@electrictea.co.uk
> <mailto:aj...@electrictea.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> I have been doing a lot of lathing of things of late, one thing of note
> has been the slack/tightness of the compound at either end of it's
> travel, and my attempts to remedy it were defeated by some rounded
> fixings for adjusting the gibs.
>

> so I have removed one of the offending screws for identification and
> I have been shopping today.
>
> They are 3/16th dog point grub screws about 20mm long.
>
> the best I could get hold of were hex head so plan to turn down the
> end to the correct point and replace them this afternoon.
>

> I have also noticed that the powered feed on the lathe has been off
> for a while and would be great to get it back running again.
>
> it looks like the cog that connects to the lead screw has been
> removed, anyone know what is happening here? and what needs to
> happen to get it turning again?
>
> Angus
>

> --

Aidan Dunbar

Sep 12, 2016, 11:54:00 AM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
There needs to be a separate estop added as well. Usually I just knock the stop switch with my knee when I want to stop.

Start can be moved, definitely, ideas for a new location welcomed. Except behind the lathe. That's no good.

Thanks for adjusting the gibs :)

Samwise Wilson

Sep 12, 2016, 12:00:25 PM9/12/16
to Leeds Hack Space
We can fix the power drive cheaply if we find a suitable donor bevel gear, you just bore out the middle of the donor and attach it to a freshly milled nub of the original (maintaining the dogs!)

Just need to get the calipers on the one we have so we can find out what bevel to get.

Angus Taggart

Sep 12, 2016, 2:38:21 PM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
well I am on my way down to the space now with a pair of calipers, so if
you can tell me where it is..

I can knock up some measurements and get it onto the wiki

On 12/09/16 17:00, Samwise Wilson wrote:
> We can fix the power drive cheaply if we find a suitable donor bevel
> gear, you just bore out the middle of the donor and attach it to a
> freshly milled nub of the original (maintaining the dogs!)
>
> Just need to get the calipers on the one we have so we can find out what
> bevel to get.
>
> On Monday, 12 September 2016 16:54:00 UTC+1, Aidan wrote:
>
> There needs to be a separate estop added as well. Usually I just
> knock the stop switch with my knee when I want to stop.
>
> Start can be moved, definitely, ideas for a new location welcomed.
> Except behind the lathe. That's no good.
>
> Thanks for adjusting the gibs :)
>
> > On Sep 12, 2016, at 16:42, Angus Taggart <aj...@electrictea.co.uk
> <aj...@electrictea.co.uk <javascript:>
> >> send an email to leeds-hack-spa...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> >> <mailto:leeds-hack-space%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
> >>

> >> --
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> >
> > --
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Stuart Childs

Sep 12, 2016, 2:42:14 PM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

If anybody happens to pass by Halifax, there's a place called global surplus that has loads of machine parts, and is a good source of second hand spanners etc.

Dave who runs it is also super knowledgeable and very nice, and could help advise what to do.

Worth a trip just to have a dig around the stuff he has there :)

>>    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Angus Taggart

Sep 12, 2016, 2:48:35 PM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
> well I am on my way down to the space now with a pair of calipers,
on which note,
if you are wanting to get in to the space for a couple of hours
tonight.. I will be down there from about 8:15

I don't seem to be able to keep the space open at the moment.
so either ring the bell or call the space phone to see if I am still in.

Samwise Wilson

Sep 12, 2016, 4:51:22 PM9/12/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I grabbed some photos and videos from the first time.

Im not sure where the parts are, Aidan probably has them safe.

Aidan Dunbar

Sep 12, 2016, 6:00:21 PM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
In a cardboard box under the lathe,

Angus Taggart

Sep 12, 2016, 6:01:38 PM9/12/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
cool, thanks, I will take a look, some measurements and some photos with
a ruler in shot this time

On 12/09/16 23:00, 'Aidan Dunbar' via Leeds Hack Space wrote:
> In a cardboard box under the lathe,
>
> On Sep 12, 2016, at 21:51, Samwise Wilson <s...@swwils.com
> <mailto:s...@swwils.com>> wrote:
>
>> I grabbed some photos and videos from the first time.
>>
>> https://goo.gl/photos/bkqkejb1h7Lpixzh6
>>
>> Im not sure where the parts are, Aidan probably has them safe.
>>
>> On Monday, 12 September 2016 19:48:35 UTC+1, Angus Taggart wrote:
>>
>> > well I am on my way down to the space now with a pair of calipers,
>> on which note,
>> if you are wanting to get in to the space for a couple of hours
>> tonight.. I will be down there from about 8:15
>>
>> I don't seem to be able to keep the space open at the moment.
>> so either ring the bell or call the space phone to see if I am
>> still in.
>>
>> --

Angus Taggart

Sep 12, 2016, 6:50:27 PM9/12/16

On 12/09/16 14:03, Angus Taggart wrote:

> They are 3/16th dog point grub screws about 20mm long.

I lie... they are totally not

they are another pitch entirely

Angus Taggart

Sep 14, 2016, 9:17:47 AM9/14/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
turns out, I need to pay more attention when photographing them,
you can see the results https://goo.gl/photos/dEsoEQSFsnoNmm1H7
so will have another go

Samwise Wilson

Sep 14, 2016, 2:29:35 PM9/14/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Maybe we should just purchase a cutter with the correct DP - its only 18 cuts to make it! ;)