Sauron network monitoring

Tom Hargreaves

Jan 22, 2018, 6:58:29 AM1/22/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
So I wrote a websocket server that provides a realtime feed of hosts
coming and going from the local network. The feed also contains the
results of nmap scans for previously-unseen MAC addresses, including
OS detection and listening TCP ports.

The idea is to make plugging in random IoT devices less of a pain, by
being able to see at a glance what IP they were assigned.

I had vague ideas about some kind of fancy UI with little Pi logos and
Android logos and so on, but really, I have no idea how to make this
look good, or what kind of information would be desirable to put on
the big screen.

GIEV FEEDBAKC KTHXBYE

Tom.

Daniel Fligg

Jan 22, 2018, 8:23:11 AM1/22/18
to Leeds Hackspace
Brilliant idea, really glad to see you've gone as far as implementing it.

Also not sure how to make things look good, but having information accessible is a brilliant start :)

Tom.

Daniel Fligg
Leeds Hackspace Director

Callum Snowden

Jan 22, 2018, 8:42:36 AM1/22/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Sounds fantastic! Is the code publicly available anywhere so we can have a go at writing a front end for it?

Callum.

samson B

Jan 22, 2018, 11:01:24 AM1/22/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
just to make sure iv read this right is it like in old space where we used mac addresses to show who was in the space ?

Tom Hargreaves

Jan 22, 2018, 11:06:52 AM1/22/18
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 04:01:22PM +0000, samson B wrote:
> just to make sure iv read this right is it like in old space where we used
> mac addresses to show who was in the space ?

It's not like anything yet, hence this thread. That could certainly
be done, if there was a place where people could claim and name their
MAC addresses. Hadn't thought about it, but good idea.

Tom.

Tom Hargreaves

Jan 22, 2018, 11:08:31 AM1/22/18
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 05:42:36AM -0800, Callum Snowden wrote:
> Sounds fantastic! Is the code publicly available anywhere so we can have a
> go at writing a front end for it?

Yep. I considered posting the repo in my first email but chickened
out thinking I should first make it easier to run/figure out how node
does dependencies/provide some sample messages.

https://github.com/hexwab/hostscan

Tom.