Leeds Hack Space v3 - Replacing the main electrical feed to HackSpace v3 - Help required 😃

Adam D. Horden

Aug 16, 2017, 6:56:45 AM8/16/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Good Morning,

As most people know we are having to replace the main electrical feed (submain) to Hack Space v3. This is going to be a significant job. But something we need to happen before all the electrical work can be fully signed off by myself. I have spent the last couple of months organising the work with a plan to go ahead during the bank holiday at the end of this month. We need as much help as possible.

The August bank holiday as me Aidan, Joe and Fligg are free then we are pulling in the new submain.

This is 100M of 5 core SWA weighing just over 2.7kg per meter. It has been taking up quite a bit of my time to plan this, do the calculations, get civil engineers to check the route due to the weight of the cable (yes this was a concern given to me from the landlord), tools, cable, hydraulic cable rollers, scaffolding towers to get as far as I am today with a plan to actually run this cable.

270kg of cable on a drum is going to be a fun engineering challenge.

The plan is this:

Thursday 24th August 2017 CEF will deliver a 100M of 5 core SWA. We need some one at the space to accept delivery of this drum. They have requested a fork lift. We do not have one. But I have managed to get them to deliver it with lifting equipment to get it into the space. The person who takes delivery of the cable I will give them my mobile number so you can get hold of me if any issues.

Saturday 26th August 2017 as early as possible we start the job of pulling in the cable. The route is planned as from the plant room switch gear across the ceiling in a cable tray to a disused cable riser and pulling it up to the roof. Then once we are at the riser we are going to bolt cable tray to the perimeter wall (so we have no weight on the roof) and secure the cable to this. We are then going to dog leg down into HackSpace v3 via a large hole core drilled into the member storage area and then secured along the wall above the ceiling.

Sunday 27th August 2017 continue with the above.

Monday 28th August 2017 as it is a bank holiday I will be terminating the ends of the cable preparing for a few hours where HackSpace v3 will be without power during this work. We will have a temporary 110V supply for any tools we need at this time.

Tuesday 28th August 2017 thanks to my employers giving me paid leave to come work at HackSpace v3 I will be completing the paper work so I can issue the completed BS7671:2008 AM3 certificates. Completing all electrical work. Including the fire alarm system. There is a full testing and inspection taking place on the Tuesday and Wednesday. There will be some disruption during this time to members.

What we need:

1.) As many hands as possible for the Saturday and Sunday to pull this cable into place.

2.) As many hands as possible armed with cable cleats, wall anchors and socket sets to bolt the cable into place. It needs supporting every 500mm of its run so an estimated 200 cleats to be drilled and anchored into place.

3.) Any 110V lighting you can get yours hands on. 110V leads. The basement is pitch black and working with mag lights is not going to be safe. We have 110V easily available for tools. 240V for lighting or power for tools would be an issue as there is no 240V power to use in the basement.

4.) A core drill. We need a few 80mm minimal holes in various walls.

5.) Angle grinders with new discs would be useful as well to not only cut the cable but for the cable tray work. Plus when we dog leg we need to cut a few brinks to get the correct bend radius.

6.) Some one to accept the drum of cable.

7.) Any help at all. There is quite a bit of work to be getting on with other than the above. We also have to finish the fire alarm system at the same time.

I will be staying in Leeds to make it easier.

I do not think I have missed anything out but feel free to ask questions.

This will essentially be the end of the building work at HackSpace v3. When all this is over we can have a space warming party 😃.

And thank you in advance to any one who volunteers to come and help.

Adam D. Horden
Director Leeds Hack Space

Andy51055

Aug 16, 2017, 8:24:33 AM8/16/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I can be there most of Saturday onwards and bring in my big sds drill and assorted bits (no 80mm core bit though) an extension lead and a socket set.

If no-one else can make it I can accept the drum on Thursday. Hopefully they can specify a delivery time as I'd rather not spend all my birthday waiting around in Hackspace.

Stephen Rowley

Aug 16, 2017, 8:38:16 AM8/16/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I figure out with oh what I'm doing next week and I'll let you know asap.

Ian Oliver

Aug 16, 2017, 8:39:44 AM8/16/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
On 2017-08-16 13:24, Andy51055 wrote:
> I can be there most of Saturday onwards and bring in my big sds drill
> and assorted bits (no 80mm core bit though) an extension lead and a
> socket set.

I should be able to make the Saturday and also the Sunday if my wife
grants me a pass. :-)

I can bring 240V SDS drill and 240V angle grinder. I'll buy new disks
for grinder and also bring gloves and safety specs. I have large SDS
bits but only up to 30mm. I also have a 240V double work light, which I
can convert to 110V for the event with 110V halogens and plug..

I can also bring two socket sets and some wall anchors but nothing like
enough. (We really need to buy wall anchors in advance IMO.) I also have
a cheap laser level.

BTW can't we drop 240V down the riser to the basement?

Ian

George Scott

Aug 16, 2017, 8:54:45 AM8/16/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to take collection on Thursday if needed.

I may be able to get in over the wknd too - and have a battery powered drill and beginner set of bits and sockets.

George

J C

Aug 16, 2017, 8:56:40 AM8/16/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
What sort of time are you wanting to have people at the space on the 26th?

Callum Snowden

Aug 16, 2017, 9:27:47 AM8/16/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I'll be around to give a hand on the saturday/sunday

Adam D. Horden

Aug 18, 2017, 3:35:31 AM8/18/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Good Morning,

Thanks for all the offer of help.

I will address all points:

Joe plan is on Saturday morning I will be arriving for 10am. I am going to be commuting down from Manchester. I have booked my train ticket that leaves Patricroft at 7.08am and that should be getting me into Leeds for 8.40am. Gives me time to grab breakfast and walk down to the space.

I do not expect people to be there at that time I just wanted to ensure I was there and covered for any delays getting into Leeds.

Ian we can go down the route of 240v, I have no issue here, but most of the tools we have access to so far are 110V. Just means we need to drop a 240v cable down the riser with the 110v cable as well during the works. So 240v tools not an issue. The basement has no power but we do have one double metal clad socket on a temporary supply now for powering any tools down there. Not sure where this is supplied from. Or if it is even safe as I did not have my test kit when I went to asses the work.

Wall anchors we have 200 arriving that are M8. And a box of screws and wall plugs as well.

So we will be needing M8 sockets.

I am just now organising payment for the cable and I can organise this getting delivered. And follow this up with Andy or George when I have some more information.

Andy we can probably get away with out needing a core drill. One SDS drill a large bit a lump hammer and a angle grinder should be able to make the required holes.

Looks like this is going to plan so far
😃

Adam D. Horden
Director Leeds Hack Space

Ian Oliver

Aug 18, 2017, 4:29:26 AM8/18/17
On 2017-08-18 08:35, Adam D. Horden wrote:
> So we will be needing M8 sockets.

I'll bring at least two 13mm sockets and various other socket set bits.

> Andy we can probably get away with out needing a core drill. One SDS
> drill a large bit a lump hammer and a angle grinder should be able to
> make the required holes.

I'll bring SDS drill (240V) some fairly long and large drill bits, and
some "bricky" tools including a long spike. I'll also load up 1000w of
halogen lighting (converting to 110V this weekend), and a boot chock
full of other (maybe) useful stuff including extension leads

Andy51055

Aug 18, 2017, 6:54:12 AM8/18/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I have a set of large chisel bits (got for breaking up the front path) that I'll bring along as well then.

Stephen Rowley

Aug 18, 2017, 8:35:01 AM8/18/17
to Leeds Hack Space
What MM bolt head. Unfortunately I have plans for that weekend but will dig out my socket set.

George Scott

Aug 18, 2017, 8:38:33 AM8/18/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thx Adam - keen to hear that rough delivery schedule on thursday when you know more.

George

On 18 Aug 2017 13:35, "'Stephen Rowley' via Leeds Hack Space" <leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
What MM bolt head. Unfortunately I have plans for that weekend but will dig out my socket set.

gareth....@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2017, 8:55:20 AM8/18/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Free on Monday afternoon to help wherever I can.

Ian Oliver

Aug 18, 2017, 10:00:20 AM8/18/17
On 2017-08-18 13:35, 'Stephen Rowley' via Leeds Hack Space wrote:
> What MM bolt head. Unfortunately I have plans for that weekend but will dig out my socket set.

13mm for M3.

Anzir Boodoo

Aug 18, 2017, 4:40:24 PM8/18/17
to 'Aidan Dunbar' via Leeds Hack Space
Hi,
> On 18 Aug 2017, at 13:55, gareth....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Free on Monday afternoon to help wherever I can.

Just a heads up, as I’m sure you already know, the Leeds Carnival is on Monday afternoon with the parade from 2pm, and there will be road closures in the vicinity as the route goes down to Sheepscar Interchange

Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT | Urbanist, Samuel L. Foxton
http://samuellfoxton.wordpress.com
Twitter: @samuellfoxton Facebook, Pinterest & YouTube: Samuel L. Foxton

George Scott

Aug 21, 2017, 5:16:24 AM8/21/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Any news on the delivery schedule Adam? - am I on point for this?

Daniel F

Aug 21, 2017, 6:22:10 AM8/21/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Tower has been booked and should be delivered AM on Friday.
They're going to ring me when they're 30min away.
Sadly I'm not in Leeds that day, so can I confirm who will be in the space (and make sure I have their mobile number please)

Fligg

George Scott

Aug 21, 2017, 6:33:00 AM8/21/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I can do this too if required.

Andy51055

Aug 21, 2017, 1:47:01 PM8/21/17
to Leeds Hack Space

I can do Friday AM too.

samson B

Aug 21, 2017, 5:52:06 PM8/21/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
howdy I can do Sunday and help Monday if we over run . Adam I can also do any after work how deliveries at the space this week if we no a time as I work just up the road :)

my only question is how low is the celling ing the basement ?

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Andy51055 <you...@51055.com> wrote:

I can do Friday AM too.

Parsley

Aug 23, 2017, 9:45:08 AM8/23/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'll take myself off overtime for Sat and pop down with my SDS, chisels, Pete's grinder and the new discs I bought. Can't offer much for lighting.

Adam D. Horden

Aug 25, 2017, 3:24:27 AM8/25/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Good Morning,

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has offered help over this weekend
. It is very much appreciated.

The cable is now in the back of a van from Huddersfield to Leeds.

I will be on the 7.02am train from Patricroft tomorrow and will be at the space for 10am tomorrow. I am planning on been in Leeds for around 9am and then getting breakfast.

Thanks,

Adam D. Horden
Director Leeds Hack Space

Message has been deleted

Philco

Aug 25, 2017, 3:51:59 PM8/25/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Sorry, but I wont be able to help out this weekend -- family staying with me. Same reason I havenae been in all week :(

Best of luck with the work.

See you all next week.

Philco

Ian Oliver

Aug 26, 2017, 12:12:34 PM8/26/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Adam,

I just thought, do you need those big waterpump pliers I showed you to
tighten those cable glands or is there a large enough spanner in Hackspace?

I can drop them in tomorrow if they'll be useful.

Regards

Ian

On 25/08/17 08:24, Adam D. Horden wrote:
> [...]
> then going to dog leg down into HackSpace v3 via a large hole core
> drilled into the member storage area and then secured along the
> wall above the ceiling.
>
> *Sunday 27th August 2017*continue with the above.
>
> *Monday 28th August 2017*as it is a bank holiday I will be
> terminating the ends of the cable preparing for a few hours where
> HackSpace v3 will be without power during this work. We will have
> a temporary 110V supply for any tools we need at this time.
>
> *Tuesday 28th August 2017*thanks to my employers giving me paid
> leave to come work at HackSpace v3 I will be completing the paper
> work so I can issue the completed BS7671:2008 AM3 certificates.
> Completing all electrical work. Including the fire alarm system.
> There is a full testing and inspection taking place on the Tuesday
> and Wednesday. There will be some disruption during this time to

Ian Oliver

Aug 28, 2017, 3:52:54 AM8/28/17
On 18/08/17 21:40, Anzir Boodoo wrote:
> Just a heads up, as I’m sure you already know, the Leeds Carnival is on Monday afternoon with the parade from 2pm, and there will be road closures in the vicinity as the route goes down to Sheepscar Interchange

Is any more help needed today (Monday)? I can spare 2-3 hours now as my
wife has volunteered to work (double time and a day in lieu!)

I can bring whatever tools I can fit on my bicycle as I'm not going to
try and drive through the carnival.

Ian

fligg

Aug 29, 2017, 5:12:42 PM8/29/17
to Leeds Hack Space, li...@foxhill.co.uk
Quick update:
A stunning amount of work has happened over the weekend with massive amounts of help from a number of people.

We've got the new mains cable in place and run from the cellar, across the roof, into members storage and up to our distribution board. This is the worst of the work and it's done. We just need to arrange a time when we can take the electric off line for a coiuple of hours and move the supply over.

We've also got the majority of the fire alarm system in place and wired in (though there's currently a scaff tower in the workshop). We hope to have this finished off in the coming week.

And just because there wasn't enough happening, we've finished off the water supply to the kitchen (and had the boiler wired in) - we're just having leaking tap issues which are stopping this going live.

All in a tonne of work has happened and the majority of hte mess has been cleaned up too.

TL:DR: It's happening. Bear with. If you want it happening quicker feel free to help out ;)

Fligg

Stephen Rowley

Aug 30, 2017, 3:07:07 AM8/30/17
to Leeds Hack Space, li...@foxhill.co.uk
if anyone has a spare kitchen tap it would be appreciated.

Callum Snowden

Aug 30, 2017, 4:07:08 AM8/30/17
to Leeds Hack Space, li...@foxhill.co.uk
We could go all hipster and put some nicely bent copper pipe in with a ball valve on the end?

Andy51055

Aug 30, 2017, 4:41:34 AM8/30/17
to Leeds Hack Space, li...@foxhill.co.uk
Or go with the Internet Of Taps? Apps for Taps?

There may well be a spare tap or twenty in the sink room in the basement. I'm fairly sure that Caterquip have moved to Batley and left and forgotten all those sinks and stuff.

Stephen Rowley

Aug 30, 2017, 6:16:37 AM8/30/17
to Leeds Hack Space, li...@foxhill.co.uk
forgot about the sinks in the basement will have to have a raid

Aidan Dunbar

Aug 30, 2017, 6:20:39 AM8/30/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Can you not just replace a washer or something? Please remember that this is a public forum.

Stephen Rowley

Aug 30, 2017, 7:07:00 AM8/30/17
to Leeds Hack Space
The tap has two issues one is just a simple washer change which is done it also appears to leak rather badly from where it pivots. A new tap can be had for not many pennies anyway.

Ian Oliver

Aug 30, 2017, 7:55:54 AM8/30/17
On 2017-08-30 12:07, 'Stephen Rowley' via Leeds Hack Space wrote:
> The tap has two issues one is just a simple washer change which is
> done it also appears to leak rather badly from where it pivots. A new
> tap can be had for not many pennies anyway.

If only there were a Plumb Centre nearby ...

But it just needs new swivel o-rings and I have a large "selection pack"
of these.

Ian Oliver

Sep 7, 2017, 12:47:02 PM9/7/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Adam D. Horden
Adam et al,

When I had to leave, I left behind a 13mm deep 3/8" drive socket so work
could continue on the cable bridge. Does anyone know where it is?

Thanks

Ian