Spoofing my phones gps location

Andy Cook

Aug 13, 2016, 4:21:22 PM8/13/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi I'd like to trick my phone to think it's in different locations around the county... Is this possible and if so how complicated would this be to do?

Robin Wood

Aug 13, 2016, 4:46:33 PM8/13/16
to Leeds Hack Space

Look to the Ingress and Pokemon communities, it's a common way of cheating for both of those.

Robin

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, 21:21 Andy Cook, <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi I'd like to trick my phone to think it's in different locations around the county... Is this possible and if so how complicated would this be to do?

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Aug 13, 2016, 6:20:09 PM8/13/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I'd imagine this would be easy if you rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM.

Samwise Wilson

Aug 14, 2016, 4:45:53 AM8/14/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Most of the games have spoofing detection - android has GPS spoofing built right in.

To avoid the detection you need to be rooted and have a module manager like xsposed so you can have anti GPS spoofing spoofing.

Christopher Stanton

Aug 14, 2016, 10:55:11 AM8/14/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Yes it's possible.

There are different ways to do it, and it depends on the reason why you're doing it and the software/hardware you're using.

What you ideally want to avoid is manufacturing a GPs signal and transmitting it, because that's not legal.

I'm not aware of methods for an apple device, however android is a bit easier, you can root the phone or tablet and use software or hardware to emulate a location. Though most software checks for this. Alternatively you can run android software on a desktop computer and that's a bit easier to trick.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, 21:21 Andy Cook, <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi I'd like to trick my phone to think it's in different locations around the county... Is this possible and if so how complicated would this be to do?

Andy Cook

Aug 14, 2016, 11:07:21 AM8/14/16
to Leeds Hack Space
How difficult is it to just transmit fake gps signals legal or otherwise? Out of curisoity

Michael W

Aug 14, 2016, 12:14:24 PM8/14/16
to Leeds Hack Space
There's a post on Hackaday about transmitting your own gps for Pokemon amongst other methods. Needs a hackRF software defined radio and some other hardware which are a bit spendy.

Stanto

Aug 15, 2016, 8:01:41 PM8/15/16
to Leeds Hack Space

Andy Cook

Aug 16, 2016, 2:46:18 AM8/16/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Stanto... The links not working? What was it

Will Newton

Aug 16, 2016, 4:42:28 AM8/16/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
IEEE Spectrum also had an article about spoofing GPS last month:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/security/protecting-gps-from-spoofers-is-critical-to-the-future-of-navigation

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Andy Cook <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stanto... The links not working? What was it

Stanto

Aug 16, 2016, 6:24:16 AM8/16/16
to Leeds Hack Space
The link is working here. I suggest if you're trying to open it on an iPad that you use a different device if possible. It's the presentation from Defcon by Unicorn Team detailing GPS spoofing.

dan.m...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2016, 10:20:57 AM9/7/16
to Leeds Hack Space
On Saturday, 13 August 2016 21:21:22 UTC+1, Andy Cook wrote:
> Hi I'd like to trick my phone to think it's in different locations around the county... Is this possible and if so how complicated would this be to do?

Hi Andy I am new to this group - on Android devices this is straightforward, put the device into developer mode (Settings -> About -> Tap on build number about 10 times) then Settings->Developer Options -> Select mock location app

You will first have to have installed a 'mock location app' - > try FakeGPS free from Android Store. I have no idea with regards to iOS.

Thanks, Dan

Andy Cook

Sep 8, 2016, 6:55:47 AM9/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Thanks Dan! Appreciate it, just need to get an android phone... Mine died a week ago, back to my old faithful Nokia last forever with buttons!

Dan McDaid

Sep 8, 2016, 8:21:12 AM9/8/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Been there myself recently :-) good luck