Broken: Laser Cutter

Daniel F

Aug 8, 2017, 8:48:57 PM8/8/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
So... I broke the laser. Sorry :(

Nothing overly serious but it managed to cut through the air-hose and took an inch off the end of it.

I cleaned off the end and tried putting it back in the head, but moving the head around the four corners of the cutter repeatedly ends up with the tube falling into the laser path again.

I think at minimum we need to replace the air-hose (so it's a bit longer). We potentially need to come up with a better plan for stopping it falling in the laser-path full stop (based on the amount of tape on the hose I don't think i'm the first person to manage this).

I've left the inch of hose sat on the laser bed. I've left the air-hose disconnected for the time being.

I'd really like someone (Andy?) who has some experience to eyeball it before it goes straight back into service - though i'm sure it'll take very little to get it back into service. If anyone knows where I can source a replacement hose in Leeds tomorrow I'll go out and buy one.

Apologies again (though this highlights how important it is to be watching the thing; big flames == bad) and looking for people's thoughts.

Fligg.

Andy51055

Aug 9, 2017, 1:54:54 AM8/9/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Aidan's probably a better person to have a look and sort it out, but as I was planning on using the cutter this morning I'll see what I can do (if only a temporary fix).
A replacement hose would be a very good idea as the current one is liable to end up more tape than hose.
And a new tube is probably due now as the speed needed to cut has gone down to 4-5% again.

Go Team Laser!

Aidan Dunbar

Aug 9, 2017, 2:57:25 AM8/9/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I'll come and take a look this evening. Might need realigning as well as air tube replacement. When I did last overhaul I patched 8 different holes in the tube!

Fligg is sorting laser tube, shouldn't be too long now.

Andy51055

Aug 9, 2017, 6:16:52 AM8/9/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I put the tube back in the head housing and taped it on as there is now more tension on it, so it should be ok for a bit.

Looking at it, it shouldn't be difficult to make something to hold the tube above the head which can be bolted to it in the empty screw holes. With a longer tube it shouldn't pull on it too much and it should still be able to rotate as needed. There's certainly enough room above the arm for the tube, and it would eliminate most of the friction that might be causing the holes.

Daniel F

Aug 9, 2017, 6:26:13 AM8/9/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
aces - just be warned, after i put the tube back in moving the head to the 4 corners kept causing it to overlap the laser beam so extra vigilance for the time being please :)

Gadgetmind

Aug 9, 2017, 6:36:36 AM8/9/17
On 2017-08-09 11:16, Andy51055 wrote:
> Looking at it, it shouldn't be difficult to make something to hold the
> tube above the head which can be bolted to it in the empty screw holes.

If someone can do a rough drawing, I can easily model in OpenSCAD and
print it.

Aidan Dunbar

Aug 9, 2017, 1:57:42 PM8/9/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Air tube attached in a way that it won't get caught up. There's plenty of flex in it so don't worry about using the laser.

New air tube is on the way, to be fitted soon. Cable management solution also incoming.