Laser cutter / space time table

James Walker

Feb 23, 2015, 8:13:44 AM2/23/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Found this space-time coffee table online, and might think of taking a crack at it for the space

When the laser cutter is ready, thinking of scaling the dimensions down to fit the 600mm by 400mm of the cutter

Thoughts? Objections? You fool, you've doomed us all?

Cheers,

James

Jon Stockill

Feb 23, 2015, 10:04:04 AM2/23/15
On 23.02.2015 13:13, James Walker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Found this space-time coffee table online [1], and might think of
> taking a crack at it for the space
>
> When the laser cutter is ready, thinking of scaling the dimensions
> down to fit the 600mm by 400mm of the cutter
>
> Thoughts? Objections? You fool, you've doomed us all?

A table that small doesn't seem particularly useful - where would it
live, what would it be used for?

--
Jon Stockill
li...@stockill.net

J C

Feb 23, 2015, 10:09:55 AM2/23/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi James its a nice project but we dont need such a table at the hackspace and definitely  dont have the space for it in our current setup.  If were ever to expand and we had a dedicated chill out area it could work quite nicely but we have given that up for working space offset by a token sofa and occasionally hammock but I dont see space for your table at the space at the moment. thank you for suggesting it though.

James Walker

Feb 23, 2015, 12:42:37 PM2/23/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Sure, no problem.

I think I might take a crack at it for my house though - that being the case, does anyone have criticism of the design?
E.g. if I should instead go for a CNC or jigsaw for the larger pieces.

Cheers,

James
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to leeds-hack-spa...@googlegroups.com.

Aidan Dunbar

Feb 23, 2015, 1:17:50 PM2/23/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
There seemed to be a few places it broke during assembly, requiring judicious application of glue and filler...

Take a look at the thin sections maybe? Laser might be fine, but maybe the more delicate areas aren't too keen on being roughly handled through the manual cutting.

Aidan

Daniel F

Feb 23, 2015, 3:23:22 PM2/23/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
It does look really pretty -i'd love to see a scaled down version.
Depending on how hard it is to make the right shapes, you could make one with a couple of different sized marbles in it ;)

Daniel F

Feb 23, 2015, 3:27:46 PM2/23/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Also, with regard to "where would it live, what would it be used for":
We've already said we need a small table to go with the laser cutter for laptops to live on (and to barricade the tube(!)).

If you were planning on copying the idea rather than copy/pasting the design, then a table that looks this cool but the wanted dimensions seems a perfect fit.

ps> not volunteering to do the math to adapt it's relativist dimensions in...space...time... but I have just realised I'm going to have to build a TARDIS.

James Walker

Feb 24, 2015, 12:27:46 PM2/24/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Do you have the dimensions required for the small laser laptop cutter table?