Laser cutter

Andy51055

Jan 18, 2018, 4:37:57 PM1/18/18
to Leeds Hack Space
The laser cutter has been moved to its new home in the Craft Area, hiding behind the Laser Materials Shelves. The reason for this enclosure is in order to line it as much as possible with sound-deadening material to cut down on the noise added to the Hackspace from the extraction system.

The extraction system hasn't arrived yet unfortunately so the laser cutter is out of commission until then. With any luck it will only be a week or so as we have everything else set up to go.

Apologies for the short notice of this, but various circumstances all combined to make now by far the best time for it. And the workshop should work much better with its new layout and added space.

We'll let you know as soon as it's back up and running.

samson B

Jan 18, 2018, 5:04:34 PM1/18/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
depending on how the extraction system is / how hot the fan unit gets im happy to help with sound proofing if it turns out to be realy loud ( unless its a sonic boom cant do mutch with that)??

Tanya Perry

Jan 19, 2018, 12:20:37 PM1/19/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Cheers for the heads up!

I'm very glad I got the necessary stuff lasered the other night :P

You are all amazing! Appreciate the hard work :)

Parsley

Jan 21, 2018, 11:57:12 AM1/21/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Have we swapped out the old mirrors on it yet? If not, I'll try to make my way down next week and get on with it.

Andy51055

Jan 21, 2018, 12:40:47 PM1/21/18
to Leeds Hack Space
It still needs the new extractor fan fitting, sound-deadening putting up and fixing and leveling it in its final position, which should probably be done before lenses and mirrors are replaced.
But hopefully all that will be done in the next week, if the necessary parts arrive.

i...@lawrencemolloy.co.uk

Jan 22, 2018, 10:52:54 AM1/22/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Hey Andy

What you using for sound deadening? I have some inert foam sheets (2inches thick) that might be of some use.

Regards

Lawrence

Andy51055

Jan 22, 2018, 1:03:38 PM1/22/18
to Leeds Hack Space
They would be really useful! Could you bring them down at some point?

The idea is to use a combination of soundproofing (to keep noise from going into the darkroom and the main area) and sound deadening (to stop it bouncing around the craft area).