Revive the knitting machine!- a group project

J C

Oct 17, 2017, 4:39:40 PM10/17/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
One of our members has kindly long loaned us a knitting machine- the Passap electronic 6000.

It needs a fair bit of cleaning/ tlc, and arduino hooking up and software trying out.

I want to get a group of people together to do that as Ill never finish it myself and its been sat in a corner for months.

Another hackspace has upgraded theirs and documented it fairly well- albeit in german

Anyone want to help?

With any luck we can be producing our own garish jumpers in time for christmas.

Pre-chat about about it next Tuesday 24th Oct then meet up one upcoming Saturday or Sunday and spend the day working on it. It may not take all day but want to have lots of time set aside to tackle it.

If you are interested in getting involved say which Saturdays/ Sundays you can make between 28th Oct and 12th Nov

Thanks

Joe.

Stanto

Oct 17, 2017, 5:32:23 PM10/17/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Looking at the page there's some nice helpful 3d models to print, and no arduino code.... :|

Stanto

Oct 17, 2017, 5:38:28 PM10/17/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Because it's part of 'knitty' which is the software used to drive the machine instead of what comes with it:

samson B

Oct 17, 2017, 5:41:11 PM10/17/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
if its any help it came apart in two peaces so we put it in the corner by the kitchen till someone who new how it worked was about ( then slept and forgot)

J C

Apr 1, 2018, 4:22:40 AM4/1/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Relevant to tjis when we get round to it- we could potentially knit arbitary 3d shapes on it https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/31/knitting-machines-power-up-with-computer-generated-patterns-for-3d-shapes/

Andy51055

Apr 1, 2018, 5:30:39 PM4/1/18
to Leeds Hack Space
So Grü has cleaned it all up and got it ready for the next phase.

Which is what? What needs doing to it to actually get it running?

If it's a loan rather than a donation, I assume we have all the parts we need and it's just a case of learning how to use the software.

Though it does seem to only have a serial port to connect to the outside world...

J C

Apr 2, 2018, 4:41:30 AM4/2/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
The next step is to see if it works in its surrent state and we should have all the parts.

The following step is to upgrade it

Daniel F

May 25, 2018, 3:57:20 PM5/25/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Found this which seems useful
passap_duomatic_80_manual.pdf

Andy51055

May 26, 2018, 2:48:42 AM5/26/18
to Leeds Hack Space
I'll stick that on the iMac in the craft area later this morning so if anyone needs it, it will be right there.