Re: Fwd: Light Night Leeds 2015 - Call for artists' proposals

Message has been deleted

Daniel Fligg

May 29, 2015, 10:15:37 AM5/29/15
to Leeds Hackspace

How about we do a crazy oversized LED cub.... Oh, no, wait...

511 more uber cubes isn't going to stay in budget either :(

On 29 May 2015 15:12, "Matt Collins" <mrmatthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
FYI

May 29, 2015, 10:19:44 AM5/29/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I deleted this because it contained Abbe's email but I guess that's redundant now!

Any on ehave any ideas that do not involve crimping?

Daniel F

May 29, 2015, 10:37:01 AM5/29/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, sadly once something hits a mailing list there's no going back - even if you delete the archive it's already in 300 inboxes...

I'll shurrup until I have a more realistic idea... /me ponders the cost of EL wire...

Stanto

May 30, 2015, 2:13:26 PM5/30/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
something nerf darts something something

Matt C

May 31, 2015, 8:14:17 AM5/31/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
If anyone has an idea I'll happily help write the proposal and manage the project but don't think I'll have as much time to commit as last year :)

Daniel F

Jun 5, 2015, 5:08:49 AM6/5/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Moar mad ideas: Interactive mirror made from 450 rotating penguins...

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/06/penguins-mirror-daniel-rozin/

Onlyhalfdone

Jun 12, 2015, 5:51:10 PM6/12/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Wish I'd had time to finish my nerf gun... Enough said

Onlyhalfdone

Jun 12, 2015, 6:07:01 PM6/12/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
How about 5000 glowing hex bug type robots crawling through tubes and stuff

J C

Jun 12, 2015, 6:48:55 PM6/12/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Well lights in tubes was one of the popular suggestions. Or why not finish the nerf guns?

On 12 Jun 2015 11:07 pm, "Onlyhalfdone" <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
How about 5000 glowing hex bug type robots crawling through tubes and stuff

Onlyhalfdone

Jun 13, 2015, 8:09:33 AM6/13/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
i don't have a lot of time at the moment. The nerf gun is practically there, just needs some dim tweaks to the mechanism and it will work perfectly. The darts are complete, they work fantastic and assembly is down to about 3 to 4 minutes per dart I've printed a sheet of card that you just glue all the components onto the template and just snap them off when assembled. I have all the components to make 1000 darts we'd need to buy some guns but for less then £300 to £400 we could get 10 guns and 2000 darts. We'd need some sort of arena and eye protection / face protection. But for not a lot of effort we could probably get something cobbled together... It won't be as impressive as the cube, but would be great fun to take part in it! Especially with a bit of smoke (I have a machine) maybe some lasers?

Tube idea is my favourite but the reality is it's going to cost several thousand pounds to buy the tubes and components and we haven't even considered how we will make it interactive and fun. I was hoping to make it to Halifax maker fair and see if Eureka needed some interactive light display made based out of our idea of tubes and moving balls glowing balls such as blood or electrical signals moving through the body and see if they would like to commission something that would then reside at Eureka. Given our time is donated for free the cost of the commission would be a fraction of what an organisation would charge. If anyone's in a position to discuss with Eureaka would be interesting.

Alternatively the cube was amazingly popular and stunning are they not interested in having it back or does it have to be something new? I don't see any reason why we wouldn't find a sponsor as we have it to demonstrate already.

Thoughts anyone?