Really Basic Introduction to Fusion 360 - Wednesday 14th September, 19:30 to 20:30

Aidan Dunbar

Sep 2, 2016, 12:32:18 PM9/2/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
A few members have asked about how to use Fusion 360 - an incredibly powerful free* 3D CAD?CAM modelling program from Autodesk - so I'm going to run a really basic introduction to the software to get you started in preparation for using the CNC router. It won't cover everything, but it will help get you on the way and help you avoid some of the pitfalls I have found.

What you need to bring:
  • A [Windows] PC or Mac that can run Fusion 360, along with
  • Autodesk Fusion 360 installed
  • Front Panel Designer installed
  • An external mouse with scroll wheel (this is really important)
We can't provide a PC for you to use space. The laptops that we have here aren't quite powerful enough, and besides, most of them run Linux! You don't need a super powerful machine, download it and give it a go if you're not sure.

It's a free workshop, approximately 1 hour long. Leeds Hackspace Members only, please reply here if you would like to come along. If it goes well I might run it again for non-members.

Aidan

* Free as in beer. The software is free to use (if you are an "Enthusiast", in Education or a Startup making less than $100k pa) so just download it and sign up for an account. For more information see this KB article.

Alex Silcock

Sep 2, 2016, 12:35:21 PM9/2/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to come. Cheers.

J C

Sep 2, 2016, 1:44:00 PM9/2/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to be there

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Alex Silcock <hack...@alexsilcock.net> wrote:
I'd like to come. Cheers.

Stanto

Sep 2, 2016, 3:36:33 PM9/2/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Yes plz.

mikee franklin

Sep 2, 2016, 8:13:41 PM9/2/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I'm in! Sounds great.

Michael W

Sep 3, 2016, 6:06:07 AM9/3/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Sign me up! Thanks for organising this.

vinceg...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 1:39:58 PM9/4/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I've been reading your blog and would like to both join, and come along to this

Aidan Dunbar

Sep 4, 2016, 2:10:31 PM9/4/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Vince, great to hear. I'll send you an email shortly.

Everyone else, awesome, see you then!

On 4 September 2016 at 01:02, <vinceg...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been reading your blog and would like to both join, and come along to this

timpin .

Sep 9, 2016, 1:20:26 PM9/9/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I don't think I'll be able to get there. But if the tutorial was to be online afterwards that would be very helpful ;)

Tim

Samwise Wilson

Sep 9, 2016, 1:56:56 PM9/9/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Not to knock Aidan but autodesk do some fantastic bite size tutorials and YouTube has several machinests from all works of life giving fusion content.

A particular fav is the NYC CNC dude because he actually makes the items real and explains the process in relation to real tooling. https://youtu.be/o-GBpUZ3piY

Samwise Wilson

Sep 9, 2016, 2:00:19 PM9/9/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Also I'll be happy to capture it!

Aidan should be familiar with lecture capture anyways.

Stanto

Sep 14, 2016, 6:22:03 PM9/14/16
to Leeds Hack Space
This was great, thanks Aidan.

Michael W

Sep 14, 2016, 7:08:46 PM9/14/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Ditto. The lesson was much appreciated.

Aidan Dunbar

Sep 16, 2016, 6:13:34 AM9/16/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for coming along, I hope it was useful!

On 15 September 2016 at 00:08, Michael W <mvw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ditto. The lesson was much appreciated.

Alex Silcock

Sep 16, 2016, 11:45:35 AM9/16/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for running it Aidan, it was really useful!