The hackspace needs you for wall building!

J C

Jun 27, 2016, 2:09:54 PM6/27/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Rough aim is to build internal walls for the hackspace on the weekend of the 9th July.

The suggestion is to use metal stud for the frames (especially as we have some very high points to reach. These can be ordered cut to size to simplify our job. Then we fill the space with sounds dampening stuff, then put plywood followed by tapered edge plasterboard.

What we need: measurements - especially for the metal stud

People to help build it.

Can you help?

Thanks

Joe

tmp...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2016, 3:16:07 PM6/27/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Yes, either day but not both.

J C

Jun 27, 2016, 3:23:41 PM6/27/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
We will start on Saturday so if you could come then would be ace and we can hopefully get it all done in a day :)

Also there has been talk of the pros cons of buying V renting a scaffold tower. Im all in favour of either. If someone can track down and provide links for cheap either option its been suggested we can store a bought one outside in one of the slots or maybe above the toilets.

Either way tower will be needed for building walls. Anyone want to take that one on?

Thanks

Samwise Wilson

Jun 27, 2016, 4:39:26 PM6/27/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Those ebay links contained a scaff tower pretty cheap azswell as those other potential items!

YouMustBe Joking

Jun 27, 2016, 4:47:35 PM6/27/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Just a platform, I think! Not quite as useful as a full tower
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Leeds Hack Space" group.

tmp...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2016, 3:59:51 AM6/28/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I used to have a v cheap tower, 4 feet square. I lent it to a neighbour several years ago and never got round to asking for it back :)
I wonder if he still has it. I don't think it's quite what we need for metal stud-work; something on wheels would be far better.

Someone remind me about the max height we have to reach. What tools do we need to fix stud to wall, floor and roof?

What time do you want to start on 9th?

Tim

Phil Hutchinson

Jun 29, 2016, 6:42:58 AM6/29/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Volenteer here, remember getting a scaff tower early would help

Onlyhalfdone

Jun 29, 2016, 12:20:19 PM6/29/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Metal stud walling materials.

Not sure if you have this in hand but here is a few pointers if not. In order to place a delivery through Encon Insulation (they do plasterboard and metal studding etc) I'd need to know the following.

Length of wall - you need bottom track and top track equal to the length of wall this is usually available in 3m lengths.
Studs - these are usually at 600 centres, they come in either 3m 3.6m or 4.2m in packs of ten. 70mm thick ones should do. You need a bit extra to form openings such as doors and windows. So you need to know the total number to order based on the length.
Around door openings - timber is inserted to provide a better screw fixing, 2x3 inserted end on works best
We should get the plasterboard from here too. Work out number of sheets as either 3m boards which are very heavy or 2.4m boards which I'd recommend. Same for the ply.
We need fixings into the track head and to the slab floor.
Sound quilt to go in the wall. Work out length in metres and decide thickness of wool, 50mm will be fine.

If someone works it out I'll order it and get a receipt or someone else order it, should be able to get it all delivered but will need carried in side immediately.

Any questions?

Cheers

Samwise Wilson

Jun 29, 2016, 1:32:38 PM6/29/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Opinion on double boards? - kinda have a feeling that those most uncontroable fire hazards will be contained in this partition and so might like some fire wall time.

Also the attachehments for channel heads onto beams, full of large rivits on underside! Can attach wood into the beam sides to form attachment or just run the stud to one side of the beam or the other.

Underside of the soffit is 3.6m so going to be 2 2.4m boards high in any case.

Onlyhalfdone

Jun 29, 2016, 4:49:59 PM6/29/16
to Leeds Hack Space
There isn't much point in double boarding it for fire, the roofs going to fall in long before the walls give in,either way if there is a fire the space is gone. Also as soon as you want to make it a fire wall, then glazed vision panels become very expensive. Pyroglass is not a cheap unit. If it's for sound then yes by all means double board it.

Not sure about the rivets bit? Didn't really understand what we were riveting. If the tracks fixing to metal, then it's self drilling tek screws, if it's to the underside of the concrete roof then it's either drilled and plugged or drilled and concrete screws.

The track it self is self drilling metal screws to assemble it.

Hope that helps

Samwise Wilson

Jun 29, 2016, 6:53:47 PM6/29/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I think we will need double board for sound.

on the rivets:

That beam goes into middle of the column - hopefully you can see the underside has large rivets currently there are just single blocks stuck on, so it might be easier to put the partition channel to one side of the beam and go up to soffit, you'll also avoid the down pipe from roof.

YouMustBe Joking

Jul 3, 2016, 8:59:14 AM7/3/16
On Monday, 27 June 2016, J C <jap...@gmail.com> wrote:

.... tower will be needed for building walls. Anyone want to take that one on?

Thanks

I've been away so it's possible this is already sorted. I don't want to duplicate...

If not, what do we need, what's the budget, when can someone be at the new space to take delivery?

I'll take it on once I have answers to those questions.

J C

Jul 3, 2016, 2:02:13 PM7/3/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim, If you can get hold of your tower as well it may well be useful  though we are going to rent one as well, Aiden has found us a suitable one.

As for starting time on the 9th. Depends when stuff is getting delivered. I imagine I may be there fro 9 for taking delivery of stuff but we hope to confirm that By Tuesday.

Joe

J C

Jul 3, 2016, 2:08:10 PM7/3/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

 if you can put an order in that would be fantastic, Samwise has put the measurements together :

Is there anything else we need? Ill happily go along with your suggestion of 50mm quilt, do we need a method of fixing those in place too to stop them falling down.

Does this place do screws as well or should I put in an order elsewhere for that?

IS it possible for delivery to be organised for Saturday morning? We should be able to get enough people then to do shifting quickly and I will go round to Enterprise tomorrow to negotiate taking up their parking spaces briefly on Saturday so the truck can get in and we are not blocking everything up.

If its doable to get the delivery for Saturday I will order the tower as well.
Thank you for this,
Joe

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 3, 2016, 4:52:11 PM7/3/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Joe... Do you mean me order them? Just checking you mean me not other Andy.

What's the decision on plasterboard? Are we going for two layers or 1?
Regular plasterboard or sound board?
Ply both sides? Am I ordering the wood?

No one delivers Saturday. - plasterboard company will not commit to a time, but I suspect being city centre it will be 7am or earlier.

Yes to plasterboard screws, I'll get some plasterboard tape and jointing compound. No the sound quilt doesn't need fastenings, usually just put a screw in it at the top.

Anything else you need me to order?

Samwise Wilson

Jul 3, 2016, 8:16:40 PM7/3/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Andy whats your recommendation for the floor? Screed?

Know any good sources for self leveling compound? - Thinking we can put the timber for the partition channels down and do the workshop sooner rather than later! - im guessing we don't have a plasterer on hand so maybe that single pour then paint type stuff would be good.

Also the possibility exists to self level that whole section from column back to the corridor to make good the floor. Either way we choose the workshop is 48.8m2 and the "rest" is 39.1m2.

Not to bothered about the middle section right now if its getting carpet tiles, I think you suggested we could brush in screed to the gaps or the glue+sanding mixture.

As for the walls - looking at the choices we can get decent sound properties with C studs and 2 x sound board + sound quilt - up to others about ply; I dont know when the fancy I type acoustic studs / ply becomes cost prohibitive or if the soundboard is worth it either!

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 4, 2016, 2:14:51 AM7/4/16
to Leeds Hack Space
The ply gives you the versatility of being able to attach to the wall anywhere, however with the multitude of plasterboard fixings these days whether this is a problem I'm not sure.

Other option I've seen done (poor mans version) is cut ply into 520mm rips by 1200mm high than just fix these between the studs from 1m up. Giving you a fixing zone from 1m up to 2.2m high.

Yes tape and joint plasterboard instead of full plaster (basically put jointing tape over joints then just polyfiller the joints, we can do this ourselves to reasonable level, it does take elbow grease)

I'll ring round on floor screed. We just need to make sure we get something that can take point loads without cracking / splintering off, I think they all can but I want to check.

Any thoughts on floor paint for the workshop? A nice mid blue or grey?

Marc Jennings

Jul 4, 2016, 4:56:47 AM7/4/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Completely off-topic, but I'd be interested to find out what screed you end up plumping for.  I'm looking at refinishing my workshop (garage) floor and am clueless with this sort of thing.  :)

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 4, 2016, 5:00:40 AM7/4/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I just started a separate flooring thread, keep your eyes peeled on there.

J C

Jul 4, 2016, 6:14:24 AM7/4/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Onlyhalfdone,

Yes if you could put the order in that would be great thanks.

I like the poorman's ply option for the workshop walls, on both sides, Dont think its necessary for the kitchen, porch walls.

2 layer plasterboard for the workshop (one of which is soundboard, one normal plasterboard)

 kitchen and porch walls just single plasterboard.

if you could order the appropriate wood as well that would be great.

Pity about Saturday delivery, I had one from the timber placer round the corner before so assumed it was common practice. Do you think they would gives us a time range? I can be in as early as needed on Friday to receive delivery and be into work late but not take the whole day off.

Thanks

Joe

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Onlyhalfdone <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just started a separate flooring thread, keep your eyes peeled on there.

J C

Jul 4, 2016, 6:35:08 AM7/4/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I was meant to await confirmation/ double checking that before sending but automatically hit send.

Double soundboard for the workshop, along with the C stud. normal plasterboard for the other two. Samwise mentioned angled joints for holding the shortened sections of ply in place within the wall.

Just remembered the plan of having a large window in on of the workshop walls, anything we need extra in parts for that (not including the obvious window)

I think that is everything, though hopefully Samwise or yourself will correct me if Iv'e messed anything up.

Thanks

Joe

YouMustBe Joking

Jul 4, 2016, 7:12:29 AM7/4/16
to Jap...@gmail.com, leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Joe
What time do you have to be at work? I'm available to take over waiting for delivery on Friday if necessary.

Tim

Jon Stockill

Jul 4, 2016, 7:26:38 AM7/4/16
On 04.07.2016 11:14, J C wrote:
> Onlyhalfdone,
>
> Yes if you could put the order in that would be great thanks.
>
> I like the poorman's ply option for the workshop walls, on both sides,
> Dont think its necessary for the kitchen, porch walls.

If you ever want to put up wall cupboards in the kitchen then you're
gonna need something capable of supporting them.

--
Jon Stockill
li...@stockill.net

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 4, 2016, 8:57:21 AM7/4/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Great point nav! Ok I'll order materials for Friday. Needless to say we need to know this window size in order to build the wall. Not a lot of point putting sound board on the walls if you the put a window screen in it. Just thought I'd point this out. Could always camera it and have one of these many plasma TVs apparently kicking about. 😀

My plan is to be there all day Friday. I'd like to make a start on the track, remember it's glued down so will need overnight to dry. Will the scaffold be there Friday? I'll come Tuesday night and let's mark out the stud work so we can make a flying start on Friday / Saturday.

Joe what about he material to titivate around the skylights? Am I ordering this? If so what?

J C

Jul 4, 2016, 9:04:50 AM7/4/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, thank you Andy,

I will get the tower ordered for Friday as well yes. Great that you can be there all day.
 I know the window is not ideal for the sound but seems good to have for seeing both ways, I suppose we can set up a virtual one with camera and big screen on both sides, lets chat that out and come up with a solid plan on Tuesday if it doesn't make much difference on material ordering at this stage.

 When were you thinking of getting down Tuesday and would you want me there? I was thinking of working later Tuesday to build flexi hours to spend on friday but the option is there.

Nav, I believe you got the measurements for neatening up the skylights, could you feed those to Andy as it would be good to order all in one go. Then we can get that up that week(end) while we have the tower as well.
Joe

Jon Stockill

Jul 4, 2016, 10:08:47 AM7/4/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
The front skylight cutout is 4.03 x 1.7m.

Its 0.9m from the underside of the roof to the bottom of the concrete
beam, or 1.6m from the underside of the roof to the suspended ceiling.

The beam that cuts through it is 1.5m from the right hand edge of the
cutout (as you look from the door) and the beam is 0.25w x 0.5h

--
Jon Stockill
li...@stockill.net

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 4, 2016, 10:19:23 AM7/4/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Nav... How many sheets of 2400 X 1200 do we need for the skylights? I was thing 12mm mdf. I don't have time to work it out even if I understood your measurements :-)

I will get a time for material drop offs as best I can for Friday am, I'll need someone to carry it all in side with me. I'm mr glass back.

J C

Jul 4, 2016, 10:22:41 AM7/4/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Ill certainly help with the carrying as much as i can while I can be there. will poke people on IRC too about helping friday.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Onlyhalfdone <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nav... How many sheets of 2400 X 1200 do we need for the skylights? I was thing 12mm mdf. I don't have time to work it out even if I understood your measurements :-)

I will get a time for material drop offs as best I can for Friday am, I'll need someone to carry it all in side with me. I'm mr glass back.

Jon Stockill

Jul 4, 2016, 12:54:48 PM7/4/16
On 04.07.2016 15:19, Onlyhalfdone wrote:
> Nav... How many sheets of 2400 X 1200 do we need for the skylights? I
> was thing 12mm mdf. I don't have time to work it out even if I
> understood your measurements :-)

Absolutely no idea, because I've no idea what you're actually doing with
it.

--
Jon Stockill
li...@stockill.net

Samwise Wilson

Jul 4, 2016, 2:28:24 PM7/4/16
to Leeds Hack Space
7 boards!!

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 4, 2016, 5:30:22 PM7/4/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Joe, change of plan I'm not down tomorrow night, but will head down early on Wednesday then on to Winky Murder! Samwise are you about early Wednesday to mark out wall positions?

Cheers

J C

Jul 4, 2016, 5:32:15 PM7/4/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

No worries see you at Winnie murders

On 4 Jul 2016 10:30 pm, "Onlyhalfdone" <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Joe, change of plan I'm not down tomorrow night, but will head down early on Wednesday then on to Winky Murder! Samwise are you about early Wednesday to mark out wall positions?

Cheers

Samwise Wilson

Jul 5, 2016, 4:07:01 AM7/5/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I'll mark the workshop tonight for ya.

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 5, 2016, 4:11:53 AM7/5/16
to Leeds Hack Space
What's the plan around the rainwater pipe in the workshop area? Personally I think it needs pulled out and investigated why it's damp around there. Not much point building a wall up to it if we then have to destroy it to sort out the issue. It's easy enough to build a boxing round it that has an access panel now rather then later?

Thoughts / suggestions Sam / Joe?

Samwise Wilson

Jul 5, 2016, 5:58:35 AM7/5/16
to Leeds Hack Space
We've cut a section of the boxing off to take a look - it significantly dried up after that even though its chucked it down since. I've sprayed a white band around the pipe at the top to keep track. - I think the re-seal they did of the roof may have fixed the problem but there is no true flat-roof drain mount up there which might cause water running down the hole, then along the side of soffit and inside via water tension... So if it continues to be a problem we will ask for a flange and proper connection to the waste pipe to be installed. But it might be OK now.

Also happy to report they have installed some overhanging gasgets on the roof lights so rain water now drips nicely off the sides.

J C

Jul 5, 2016, 6:09:55 AM7/5/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
are we still getting leaks then Samwise?

I like the idea of an access panel for the pipe, Its great if its improved now but I would assume its always going to be a weakpoint for leaking. Easy future access may be worth the time put in now.

Samwise Wilson

Jul 5, 2016, 6:16:02 AM7/5/16
to Leeds Hack Space
No leaks as far as me or Aidan have seen, it just looks gross - but the pipe is no longer wet.

J C

Jul 5, 2016, 6:18:57 AM7/5/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Ah when you mentioned the roof lights I thought you meant internal electrical ones, implying leaks onto them, rather than the windows in the roof. Got it now

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 5, 2016, 6:52:52 AM7/5/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Attached is the materials I've asked for a quotation on. I will report back on cost for approval before ordering. This is based on two sheets of plasterboard to the workshop each side and ply pattresses throughout.

also ordering the timber today

20m of 3x2 rough sawn
20m of 3x2 pse
15 sheets of cheap ply in 12mm
8 sheets of moisture resistant MDF in 12mm

do we need anything else added to the timber order for delivery friday I will place the order for these now but not pay for it until later today.

regards
Plastering Materials Required Rev 1.xlsx

J C

Jul 5, 2016, 7:05:18 AM7/5/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
To me it looks good,

Hadnt though of ensuring the kitchen plasterboards were the moisture resistant type but of course.

Would have guesses sound-block would be overkill for the entryway as there doe-sent seem much noise there but its unlikely to cause the bill to skyrocket and if you think its worth it I'm happy to go along with it.

I cant think of anything else we need personally.

Thank you.

J C

Jul 5, 2016, 7:07:57 AM7/5/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Also in terms of people on Friday Aiden is taking the day off to help out and Callum is trying to be available too.

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 5, 2016, 7:24:10 AM7/5/16
to Leeds Hack Space
sound board isn't really required for the porch, its just means we are ordering 3 types of board instead of 2, will see what the price comes back as, if its worth swapping it I will, what I don't want to happen is to have to order extra spare for overcuts to the sound board, when we can just use some from the entrance way if that makes sense.

needs some adhesive to stick the floor track down

great news re the extra help! I have to leave around 3pm Friday to get me kids from school, but aiming to be there 7.30 am depending on delivery. I'll bring some tools and stuff, probably bring a table or something we can use as cutting table.

J C

Jul 5, 2016, 7:32:37 AM7/5/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that sounds an entirely sensible approach.

If you think there is a chance of delivery coming earlier let me know the earliest and ill be there to receive it.

Let me know if there anything you want bringing over from the current hacksapce and Ill see its in place at the new one.

YouMustBe Joking

Jul 5, 2016, 8:29:10 AM7/5/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there in the morning. Will have to leave about 12:30 so let's hope the delivery has turned up by then

J C

Jul 5, 2016, 8:36:03 AM7/5/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim I hadn't forgotten you but just passing on information from the chat room. Thanks for volunteering too.

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 5, 2016, 2:38:35 PM7/5/16
to Leeds Hack Space
So the grand plan is to tape and joint the plasterboard walls. here is a very handy video showing how its done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEi50yaqRo

its hard work sanding it, I do have a sanding head on a pole that I can loan for a week. needless to say the better the prep the better the walls look! its costing well over £1000 to build the walls, it will give the space that professional finished look we couldn't achieve in hackspace 2.0

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 6, 2016, 6:22:17 AM7/6/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Materials are due Friday morning earlier then later.

J C

Jul 6, 2016, 6:25:27 AM7/6/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Perfect thanks Andy, makes it easier for me to be there to help unload. Do we have an earliest time we would need someone there if only to sign for the unloaded crate?

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Onlyhalfdone <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Materials are due Friday morning earlier then later.

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 6, 2016, 6:29:11 AM7/6/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I'll be there from 7.15 is the plan, will get a firmed up time slot Thursday pm. I'm heading into the space for 5 ish to see what else we might need. When's the tower coming?

Jon Stockill

Jul 6, 2016, 6:54:47 AM7/6/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Can't do Friday but will be there all weekend for wall building.

--
Jon Stockill
li...@stockill.net

J C

Jul 6, 2016, 8:48:27 AM7/6/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Tower arrives Friday - should be morning. couldn't give exact time-frame

Joe

Phil Hutchinson

Jul 6, 2016, 8:50:41 AM7/6/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Ok I'll be available Friday Saturday to help

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Leeds Hack Space" group.

J C

Jul 6, 2016, 9:14:17 AM7/6/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Phil, greatly appreciated.

Not sure how much wall building will be needed on Friday as the floor tracks need to be glued down first in prep for the building starting Saturday

While we have the tower there (10 days) are plenty of other jobs to do such as the roof around the front skylight neatening up.  We will also need to get the ceiling over the workshop (and kitchen?) scrubbed of loose paint and repainted. Plus painting the new walls high up.

Joe

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 6, 2016, 10:20:53 AM7/6/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I've got plenty to keep people busy with Friday! More the merrier. If you have a cordless screwdriver bring it! I'll be bring some tools with me, we'll see what we can get through Friday, hoping to get at least part of the wall up so the Saturday lot can just carry on repeating what we've done.

Have we any boxes of screws at the space? Vac very much appreciated! Any any other bits

Jon Stockill

Jul 7, 2016, 5:37:27 AM7/7/16
On 06.07.2016 15:20, Onlyhalfdone wrote:
> I've got plenty to keep people busy with Friday! More the merrier. If
> you have a cordless screwdriver bring it! I'll be bring some tools
> with me, we'll see what we can get through Friday, hoping to get at
> least part of the wall up so the Saturday lot can just carry on
> repeating what we've done.

My cordless drill and impact driver are already there - feel free to use
them.

> Have we any boxes of screws at the space? Vac very much appreciated!
> Any any other bits

There's a box of drywall screws that I took down last night.

--
Jon Stockill
li...@stockill.net

Samwise Wilson

Jul 7, 2016, 7:24:20 AM7/7/16
to Leeds Hack Space
My makita is down there too - but batteries and charger are in old space. There are also drywall bits. Use them!

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 7, 2016, 1:30:41 PM7/7/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Cheers guys.

The delivery is due between 7.30 and 8.30 Joe are you opening up or do I need to get the keys?

Tim Pinder

Jul 7, 2016, 1:31:46 PM7/7/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be there 7:25.

On 7 Jul 2016, at 18:30, Onlyhalfdone <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cheers guys.
>
> The delivery is due between 7.30 and 8.30 Joe are you opening up or do I need to get the keys?

J C

Jul 7, 2016, 3:03:50 PM7/7/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Best if you grab the keys, I have mine for opening up but they will be going with me when I leave

Tom Oldbury (Email #1)

Jul 7, 2016, 3:58:20 PM7/7/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Will try and be there for 7.30am to help out!

Tom Oldbury (Email #1)

Jul 7, 2016, 3:59:51 PM7/7/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Oh and I have a fairly low power 3.6V cordless screwdriver if that would be any use. Plus a car with the back seats down which could be used to transport smaller items from one place to another.  If there's a tarpaulin going spare, I can take the rubble somewhere (tip?)

J C

Jul 7, 2016, 4:01:23 PM7/7/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Tom.

Andy51055

Jul 8, 2016, 12:35:17 PM7/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I just got back from 2 weeks away and have been catching up...

I can't see any mention of the window we agreed on (back in the Design O Space thread) in this thread. Just to remind folks, in order to get some natural light into the middle of the new space we decided to put a perspex window into the wall. To make it simple and effective it should be full sheet size (1200 x 2400) so we can just leave out a plasterboard sheet and replace it with perspex and nothing needs cutting. To cut down on noise transmission it can be double- (or triple- or quadruple-) glazed (perspex sheet isn't expensive compared to what has already been spent.

I did a plan for it which I left at the old space before I left, but here it is again (I have raised the window to simplify layout of the plasterboard, but it should still allow good views of the workshop and better light to the area on the other side): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/943592/new%20wall%20windowframe.pdf

I did see reference to replacing the window with a camera and screen. If so I would still argue that it will provide nothing like the equivalent of 3sq.m. of daylight and will do nothing to dispel the image of daylight-hating computer hackers for newcomers.

I could see no mention of it, but maybe a decision was made while I was away, in which case ignore this post.

Tim Pinder

Jul 8, 2016, 12:38:48 PM7/8/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Andy

We haven’t started building the workshop wall yet, but the studs are at 600mm centres so it might be better to work around that. Of course, the studs could just run through the window.

Tim

J C

Jul 8, 2016, 12:42:17 PM7/8/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andy

Yeah I know where you are coming from with the window and I like it but need to do it in a way that doesent mess up the sound deadening. Current plan is to build wall with gap for window but board it up for now and make final call on it later.

Joe

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Leeds Hack Space" group.

Andy51055

Jul 8, 2016, 12:47:12 PM7/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
That makes total sense. I was just a bit worried that it had been forgotten.

And having studs at 600mm shouldn't be any problem at all. It may even give us more options in terms of inserting affordable proper double-glazing units.

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 8, 2016, 12:47:36 PM7/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi Andy hope you had a great holiday! things have progressed a bit since then. We are putting a provision in for a window and boarding over it until one can be sourced. Or if it's suitable using the one stored in the old corridor and fitting it now.

We are spending £2000 on the sound proof and fire rated walls, not much point if you then put plastic in it really. If you need any advise drop me a message

:-)

Andy51055

Jul 8, 2016, 1:36:36 PM7/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Double glazing it with 28mm argon-filled units would cost around £300 quid for the units (no upvc surrounds). But as Joe says, we can sort it in good time.

I have a some plastering trowels (2 x rectangular and 2 x pointy parallelogram ones which probably have a proper name). Should I bring them down tomorrow?

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 8, 2016, 1:48:25 PM7/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
No to trowels... I'd wait a few weeks

J C

Jul 8, 2016, 4:12:48 PM7/8/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for everyone's work today. More wall building tomorrow starting at 10 am.

Want to help but don't think wall building is for you? Don't worry there are more jobs available.

See you tomorrow

See you there.

On 8 Jul 2016 6:48 pm, "Onlyhalfdone" <onlyha...@gmail.com> wrote:
No to trowels... I'd wait a few weeks

Samwise Wilson

Jul 8, 2016, 6:07:29 PM7/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Well done on the wall today, looks totally cracking!

Your efforts will be worth the reward of a shiny new space!

Also feel free to write your name inside the wall for future hackers to find!

J C

Jul 9, 2016, 6:20:54 PM7/9/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for everyone who turned up and helped today. Due to unforeseen problems (hours if no electricity) we didn't get as much done as we would have liked but the majority of the porch wall is up and the kitchen wall is complete and more of us know how to make the walls.

Some of us will be back tomorrow though I will be a little late and a little tired after the Leeds 10k. Anyone who arrive before me can you reinforce the top beam of the porch wall then get started with the workshop wall please.

Thanks and see you around 11:30 tomorrow.

J C

Jul 13, 2016, 6:54:23 AM7/13/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
First of all a big thank you to everyone who has come helped build walls and shift materials so far. Its coming together well.

Just a reminder that the wall building continues. We have unfortunately fallen behind my, probably over optimistic timetable for building the walls and so help is still needed.

Our biggest step back was an issue with having no power for most of Saturday when we had a lot of volunteers turn up to help out. But a number of our members have been pitching in and helping out to get this done but we do welcome more help.

Myself, Nav Callum and Andy Sloss, were in last night building walls and will be there again from 5 tonight. Nav is available tomorrow evening as well from 7, Myself and Andy wont, not sure about Callum so anyone free then could be useful.

Callum and I will be back in Friday morning until lunchtime and then Myself Nav and Callum will be away for the weekend.

The scaffold is due to go away Monday morning and Im not sure we can get this done in time without help. We may have to extend the rent on the scaffold but with your help we might be able to get this done for Monday.

Never build a wall before, here is an opportunity to learn :)

If walls are not being built over the weekend, volunteers to paint the roof over the workshop are very welcome.

Joe

Stanto

Jul 13, 2016, 7:25:10 AM7/13/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Put an arranged effort on Meetup? You may have to be explicitly clear of what type of help is required and be prepared to get them up to speed if they have good intentions but they're not proficient, or let people know they may be turned away if there's too many cooks?

May not be practical, but if it's desperate and especially if someone can lead the charge on say, saturday, when some of us will be at steelcon instead.

J C

Jul 13, 2016, 7:53:22 AM7/13/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Stanto that's not a bad suggestion in general but for wall building I would feel uncomfortable with non members who do not know what they are doing getting involved without having very good supervision, ideally with a director on site.

I'd rather hire the tower for another week but for other things we should consider it.

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Jul 13, 2016, 2:00:33 PM7/13/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Unfortunately I am away in London until Tuesday/Wednesday but I'm more than willing to come down after then to lend a hand.

J C

Jul 15, 2016, 4:07:27 AM7/15/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Tom.

We have extended the hire of the tower for another week. More building ahead :)

On 13 Jul 2016 7:00 pm, "Tom Oldbury (Email #2)" <told...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unfortunately I am away in London until Tuesday/Wednesday but I'm more than willing to come down after then to lend a hand.

stethe...@googlemail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 4:33:52 AM7/15/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I'm not currently a member but if you want some help in Saturday afternoon I find my at loose end

Andy51055

Jul 15, 2016, 3:35:54 PM7/15/16
to Leeds Hack Space, stethe...@googlemail.com
Loose ends are welcome, and if they have hands attached all the better. :)
I'll be down there wall building with Tim and probably feeding padrons (russian roulette chillis) to helpers. On Sunday I'll be bringing down a chocolate chilli and assorted extras for an early evening break for helpers. Seems only fair to feed people as we can't pay them for work.

stethe...@googlemail.com

Jul 16, 2016, 3:38:22 AM7/16/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Cool I'll be down after 12ish

Andy51055

Jul 16, 2016, 4:34:46 AM7/16/16
to Leeds Hack Space, stethe...@googlemail.com
Sadly the padrons are off as the chillies that the South Devon Chilli Farm sells as padrons aren't and don't cook like padrons. I'll probably stuff them in the near future instead (and bring some down).

Today should consist mostly skimming, wallpaper stripping and painting. Time to brighten up the space.

stethe...@googlemail.com

Jul 16, 2016, 4:51:43 AM7/16/16
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 9:34:46 AM UTC+1, Andy51055 wrote:
> Sadly the padrons are off as the chillies that the South Devon Chilli Farm sells as padrons aren't and don't cook like padrons. I'll probably stuff them in the near future instead (and bring some down).
>
> Today should consist mostly skimming, wallpaper stripping and painting. Time to brighten up the space.

what time will you down there from, looks like i've become a bit more free.

Andy51055

Jul 16, 2016, 2:02:24 PM7/16/16
to Leeds Hack Space, stethe...@googlemail.com
Anyone planning on lending a hand at any point tomorrow (Sunday)?

Christopher Stanton

Jul 16, 2016, 5:31:23 PM7/16/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Joe is back in Leeds and Nav may be.

On 16 Jul 2016 19:02, "Andy51055" <you...@51055.com> wrote:

> Anyone planning on lending a hand at any point tomorrow (Sunday)?

Andy51055

Jul 18, 2016, 2:18:25 PM7/18/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Can someone contact Andy and beg him to bring his laser level in tomorrow night (Tuesday) so we can mark out and then build the angled wall while we still have the scaffolding tower?

Onlyhalfdone

Jul 18, 2016, 3:18:09 PM7/18/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I've called him and he said, why do you need a laser level... The Egyptians didn't have them 😜

Andy51055

Jul 18, 2016, 4:57:26 PM7/18/16
to Leeds Hack Space
If I had 500,000 slaves I don't think I'd need a laser level either. :)

Matt Dyson (CuppaMatt)

Jul 19, 2016, 6:44:34 AM7/19/16
to Leeds Hack Space
500,000 slaves would help for labour if he can bring those in too

YouMustBe Joking

Jul 20, 2016, 4:13:07 PM7/20/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
How much wall building still to do? I'm going to try to be available on Friday although I'm having some back problems which might affect that plan :(

J C

Jul 21, 2016, 12:23:52 PM7/21/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Really like how well the walls have come along, nice work everyone who has been involved in them. Definitely thinking windows are going to be the way forward in the workshop.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Leeds Hack Space" group.

Andy51055

Jul 22, 2016, 5:04:17 AM7/22/16
to Leeds Hack Space
If there is going to be major working this weekend would some stupidly bright led panels be useful? It might stop us tripping the fuse again late at night.

I have 5 300x600mm panels (with transformers) that are ridiculously bright (20W/1400 lumens) and just need basic wiring up.
I would have brought them down before but don't have a car. Anyone available to cart them down?

Samwise Wilson

Jul 22, 2016, 6:33:32 AM7/22/16
to Leeds Hack Space
To be honest wiring in the strip lights would probably give us the best light.

Andy51055

Jul 22, 2016, 7:05:04 AM7/22/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Fair enough. I just thought that portable lights that would need no extra working with the space's electrics would be useful.
I've wired up 3 with varying lengths of cable in case you change your mind.

Tim Pinder

Jul 22, 2016, 7:09:38 AM7/22/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
imho LEDS are preferable at this stage because fluorescent tubes fragile

Tim

Samwise Wilson

Jul 22, 2016, 10:03:09 AM7/22/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Bring down whatever, some work lights with hooks would be good.

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Jul 22, 2016, 1:15:19 PM7/22/16
to Leeds Hack Space
If you want a lift on Monday I'm pretty close to you, I think...