Hackspace Mendelmax

Stanto

Oct 5, 2017, 3:16:09 PM10/5/17
to Leeds Hack Space
- Replaced the control board (we're now on RAMPS 1.4 with Arduino Mega and LCD screen)
- Upgraded firmware (Marlin 1.1.4)
- Formatted Hackspace PC (Now has Cura + Debian on it)

The stepper driver pot's may still need some tweaking, initial prints showed that there was some movement on them which may be due to the stepper motors missing steps because they're not receiving enough power.

It also seems that we may need a replacement/better grip for the filament on the extruder. I might have a spare for this.

The printer needs calibrating.

So not fully usable yet, but at least the control board hasn't blown up. Could do with some filament we know is reliable/good also.

Stanto

Oct 10, 2017, 6:10:33 PM10/10/17
to Leeds Hack Space
The Hackspace 3D printer now prints.

Until we have automatic bed levelling, or a decently levelled bed, or sorted out temperatures/fans, use a PVA mix on the heated bed to help adhesion, else your 3D print will be dragged everywhere.

We could do with a filament feeder and probably the settings tweaked, I was actually able to print something that resembled its 3D model.

So that's a win.

I'm also not happy with how warm the electronics get, and the heated bed pulls its power from a separate power supply at the moment. This was mainly done for 'known good' reliability purposes, and really isn't all that terrible.

https://twitter.com/Stanto/status/917872802585350144

James/Joe should now check it out for a few more test prints, I think we're approaching this thing being ready for member consumption.

Taimur Khan

Oct 10, 2017, 6:36:00 PM10/10/17
to leeds-hack-space
Nice work Stanto!

Tim Pinder

Oct 11, 2017, 1:45:49 AM10/11/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
+1

—
Tim

J C

Oct 11, 2017, 1:54:23 AM10/11/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Im in tomorrow, as is James so we can get a few things printed on it then.

Thanks for your work on it Stanto

Stanto

Oct 11, 2017, 6:36:58 AM10/11/17
to Leeds Hack Space
It's still very much a project, though and the prints are not reliable. Picking up the prusa would help the project a lot and reliable printing for the hackspace in general.

Stephen Rowley

Oct 11, 2017, 7:27:04 AM10/11/17
to Leeds Hack Space
nice one.

Printed Props

Oct 11, 2017, 4:46:36 PM10/11/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I agree with stanto
We could still do with the prusa mk3

Have had a look at the mendlemax (Thanks Stanto) and tweaked some settings (not too many) and it seems to be printing nicely
Still doesn't like tall prints but that's because we don't have a fan shroud to cool the pla after extrusion

I think it's time the mendlemax starts.to upgrade it's self to its latest version (mendlemax x) as we have a fan shroud for that and some other parts that were previously printed

Would need to print a new carrige and probable a new extruder assemble to match.

The current carrige and extruder wobble, which probably explains quite a few of the fails I had today and the not so straight straight sides on the test cube.

But it prints :D YAY

J C

Oct 11, 2017, 4:48:11 PM10/11/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me.

Stanto

Oct 11, 2017, 5:56:24 PM10/11/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Do you have information on the mendelmax x and how it's different to the parts that we have waiting to be used for the mendelmax?

Printed Props

Oct 11, 2017, 6:00:24 PM10/11/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Honestly we might need to print a mostly new set of parts.
The printer seems the same just some better parts
I'll do more research on what we would need to print (I think a new extruder and carnage)
But the rest we might have

Going to cable tie the extruder into place tomorrow as a cheep and easily temp fix
And see if that helps but I'll start a folder of parts for the "x" build on the 3d printer comp

Also Thanks Stanto for that as well :)

Troy West

Oct 14, 2017, 9:14:52 AM10/14/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I was going to ask if people were still interested in me continuing to run off new ABS parts to replace the older decaying ones.  Nice work on getting it running :D

Stanto

Oct 16, 2017, 5:54:24 AM10/16/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Yes. We also could do with affixing a sturdier X end stop.

J C

Oct 20, 2017, 5:40:01 PM10/20/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
New PLA for the hackspace. Most of the stuff we have is of suspect quality which wont help with trying to get the printers behaving. . time to get more form a good source so Im taking reccomendations for a good source please.

Stanto

Oct 22, 2017, 1:20:35 PM10/22/17
to Leeds Hack Space
The blue prints fine.

J C

Oct 22, 2017, 1:22:21 PM10/22/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Do we have more blue?

I figured at 4 years old it might be more time for some upto date info.

Stanto

Oct 23, 2017, 8:49:49 AM10/23/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I thought we have a reel of blue. I had just decanted some of it so it was usable as we don't currently have a suitable filament dispenser/reel/horizontal stick.

J C

Oct 23, 2017, 9:15:31 AM10/23/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Ace will take a look tonight. If the knitting machine upgrades are a no go this weekend i may tackle the 3d printer area instead. Do we want the mendlemax in an enclosure? Happy to chat over thoughts on Tuesday. Otherwise will try post plans up tomorrow night.

Christopher Stanton

Oct 23, 2017, 9:19:02 AM10/23/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Yes. Potentially we want a temperature enclosed enclosure, which can have extraction (with a consideration for filtered extraction later).

Suggesting this introduces the potential for debate/opinions, however there have been studies that show the output from 3d printers heating filament have some level of minor harm to them, at the very least the 3d printer has the potential to set alight and having some consideration of fire prevention/alarm to it would be good.

Christopher Stanton

Oct 23, 2017, 9:19:26 AM10/23/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Ugh. Typo. Temperature controlled enclosure.

Ian Oliver

Oct 24, 2017, 4:20:01 AM10/24/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Stanto
On 23/10/17 13:49, Stanto wrote:
> I thought we have a reel of blue. I had just decanted some of it so it
> was usable as we don't currently have a suitable filament
> dispenser/reel/horizontal stick.

This is a very quick and effective filament roller and just needs four
rollerblade bearings.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1909251

I feed most of my filament directly from dry boxes but use a pair of
these rollers for spools I've just unwrapped.

Stanto

Oct 24, 2017, 5:45:05 PM10/24/17
to Leeds Hack Space
The Hackspace mendelmax isn't to be used until we have a reliable way of having the thermister stay attached to the hotend.

Please don't drill the hotend. Kapton tape is not reliable.

J C

Oct 26, 2017, 3:13:25 AM10/26/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
So as promised: rough outline for my plan for the 3d printer area: we currently have 3 relatively small desks available. One in the 3d printer area already. One with Martyns leftovers on (to be disposed of promptly) and one in the craft area as a guide to the new laser cutter location.

The idea is to turn these into one long bench from the desks fixed to each other and the wall (where solid). Later on a table currently in the workshop may be added.

Enclosures and shelves can then be added.

That will lead to the dexion there being emptied which ccan then be dedicated to large project storage.

If you have any improvements on the idea please share them.

Ill be doing this on saturday wgile in the space 9 til 2. Assistance is welcome.

Printed Props

Oct 26, 2017, 3:49:53 AM10/26/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

I'll try and get in as soon as possible on saturday

Stanto

Dec 5, 2017, 9:16:02 PM12/5/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Thanks to new thermistors, we now have a monitored hotend again.

Modification is required for the heatbed and for the thermistor to fit.

Also, the steppers have been removed for the time being. Since they are 'known good'(tm) they're helping to diagnose problems with the e3d bigbox. We're not short of steppers.

Stanto

Dec 12, 2017, 5:28:07 PM12/12/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Steppers re-applied to the mendelmax.

The glass/mirror from the mendelmax has been temporarily moved to the Felix.

Stanto

Dec 14, 2017, 2:55:15 PM12/14/17
to Leeds Hack Space
There was a belief that the heatbed was glued together. This isn't the case, it is merely nut and bolted together with shards of aluminium.

To accomodate the new thermistor it requires about 2mm gouging into the top plate, or replacing with a slightly thicker plate which also has such a gouge. Worryingly the heat mat between the aluminium has been partly damaged by the bolts.

Anyone got sufficient knowledge/tooling to cut into the aluminium?

Aidan Dunbar

Dec 15, 2017, 3:59:09 AM12/15/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
If you leave it marked out clearly (with a sharpie and a scribe) I can do it at some point this weekend.

Stanto

Dec 15, 2017, 6:15:21 AM12/15/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Thanks Aiden,

I may not be in this/for this weekend, however the route is already scored into the aluminium at about 1mm depth.

George Scott

Dec 19, 2017, 4:11:15 PM12/19/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - had a skim... not very helpful is he - hope he's not charged much!

George