Acrylic or perspex if you prefer

Scott Kellie

Jan 13, 2018, 6:22:05 AM1/13/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi all,
The perspex stock in the space is rather low and if you don't like magenta pink then you're kinda out of luck. One of the things I will be doing is working in acrylic as I have done for years.
so I have a guy I've used for years based over here in sunny Huddersfield, I went to speak with him the other day about the space and stuff he is interested in the things we do and has a massive laser cutter that will cut anything and takes a full sheet it's about an 18k machine I can arrange usage of said laser beast as well.
I have got some prices from him based on a cut to size 400x600 piece, normally they would charge for the full sheet he is willing to charge by the piece as he can use the offcuts for all the cool things they build, I'll get some photos next week it's a wicked workspace with bending tools and allsorts.
I appreciate there are other suppliers so can we look to get some acrylic in for the space with a donation box next to it? If so do people want to throw some prices together from suppliers or are you happy for me to call around and do some comparisons?
I also have a couple of samples of the new neon perspex in orange and blue. This stuff looks amazing really bright. ☺️👍
I did see that we have a hydrogen generator and torch in the space does it work OK does anyone know?

Andy51055

Jan 13, 2018, 7:03:43 AM1/13/18
to Leeds Hack Space
There's no need for a donation box as each piece is costed individually with the price written on each. We get most of our acrylic from Scrap who charge prices like £20 for a 6ft by 4ft sheet. But it does mean that we only get what they have. Anyone wanting anything specific has to buy their own, so this may well be useful.

When looking a few months ago HLN turned out to be cheaper than anywhere we could find online (and that was before delivery charges), so if your supplier is cheaper that would be great.

Hydrogen generator and torch sounds like fire which is a big NO as we're not covered for using any form of fire in the building.

Matt Collins

Jan 13, 2018, 8:16:13 AM1/13/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
We can arrange to raid hln bins too. Just needs a car a coordination

Scott Kellie

Jan 13, 2018, 8:47:22 AM1/13/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Cool thanks Andy I shall add it to my to do list and get some costings for a list on the wall and a wiki post or similar probably the easiest way Who is scrap do they have a website?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Leeds Hack Space" group.

Scott Kellie

Jan 13, 2018, 8:48:38 AM1/13/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Oh as for the fire no worries probably for the best!

onlyha...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2018, 10:52:36 AM1/13/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Hydrogen generator? Not seen this, does it split out hydrogen from the oxygen? Or mix the two? If it mixes the 2 then this makes browns gas = highly explosive and bad unless you know what you are doing.

gkee...@hotmail.co.uk

Jan 13, 2018, 12:31:40 PM1/13/18
to Leeds Hack Space
The thigh that sits under the craft work bench and was obtained from enterprise Inc.

Scott Kellie

Jan 13, 2018, 12:45:09 PM1/13/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I would be willing if ok with the overseers to temp rehomr it at my househackspace :)

On 13 Jan 2018 17:31, <gkee...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
The thigh that sits under the craft work bench and was obtained from enterprise Inc.

Rob Whitfield

Jan 14, 2018, 9:16:52 AM1/14/18
to Leeds Hack Space
I've always found Hindleys pretty good for choice and price. They sell every colour you could ever want.

https://www.hindleys.com/index.php/perspex-design-materials/perspex-sheet.html

Callum Snowden

Jan 16, 2018, 4:43:22 AM1/16/18
to Leeds Hack Space
I think the hydrogen torch that people are talking about is the little jeweler's welding torch, which uses something slightly less explosive (cannot remember off the top of my head.

Parsley

Jan 16, 2018, 7:49:41 PM1/16/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Typically butane (it's all about the cone design) but potentially acetylene depending on age.

Aidan Dunbar

Jan 17, 2018, 2:04:23 AM1/17/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
As I understand it electrolyses water and does something fancy with methyl ethyl ketone.

> On 17 Jan 2018, at 00:49, Parsley <tooshor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Typically butane (it's all about the cone design) but potentially acetylene depending on age.

Scott Kellie

Jan 17, 2018, 9:45:37 AM1/17/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure its a hho hydrogen oxygen generator my perspex guy uses one very similar.
Here's a generic image!