Laser cutter's card reader LED

DrBwts

Nov 13, 2015, 7:12:07 AM11/13/15
to Leeds Hack Space
So, the laser cutter isnt playing nice, the card reader LED is both red & green!

Which means the laser wont fire. Is there someway of turning the card reader off & on? Or is the LED state indicating a specific problem?

Nic

Daniel F

Nov 13, 2015, 11:05:24 AM11/13/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

I want to ask if you tried switching the entire laser off and on again at the wall, but I'm not actually sure if one is supposed to...

mar...@ranyard.info

Nov 13, 2015, 11:08:41 AM11/13/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Daniel F
There is a reason for the "Do not switch off" marking on the
controller's plug.

i.e. don't do that, please. I will take a look on Saturday.

In terms of telling someone how to "fix" something with the laser, it's
the opposite of what is expected. The laser is a tool, if a tool is
broken, someone who knows how to fix it can fix it.

Giving out info on how the laser is controlled via the RFID arduino, pi
etc. is only going to lead to people trying to fix it who don't know
how.

Cheers,
--
Martyn

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Daniel Fligg

Nov 13, 2015, 11:29:57 AM11/13/15
to Leeds Hackspace

What then happens if we have a power cut at the space? How does the laser react?

n6sout...@hotmail.co.uk

Nov 14, 2015, 12:07:03 PM11/14/15
to Leeds Hack Space
I just tried to do a cut.
The LED seemed to be showing ok so I started the job but the machine just froze after about 20 seconds...

Andy51055

Nov 14, 2015, 12:21:22 PM11/14/15
to Leeds Hack Space
Very odd. It managed 5 cuts fine for me earlier with no problems (once I'd stopped trying to etch with it).

Martyn

Nov 16, 2015, 7:46:54 AM11/16/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
It's a Pi, with an SD card, it's all a hacky solution that was never meant
to be in place this long.

If there's a power cut, there's a potential the pi will not be happy and
the laser will be out of action until someone who knows how it's set up investigates.

Not ideal, but that's life.

Cheers,
--
Martyn
>> [1].
>>
>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout [1]

> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

DrBwts

Dec 10, 2015, 5:21:53 PM12/10/15
to Leeds Hack Space
OK so the laser cutter is doing this again. The LED is that funny not red not green colour.

What was the fix last time?

Nic

Christopher Stanton

Dec 12, 2015, 8:59:46 AM12/12/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Could we have some details in each persons experience on this that may help add some clarity? What software is being used when it fails, or when people are successful? What filetype is visicut handling? Svg? Dxf? What settings and materials are being cut? Etc.

This may seem superfluous considering the power supply is being replaced and such but there may be a correlation in software that appears and needs to be / can be fixed...

J C

Dec 12, 2015, 9:24:28 AM12/12/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Also Nav is happily cutting away at the moment so its currently working again.

DrBwts

Dec 12, 2015, 11:47:09 AM12/12/15
to Leeds Hack Space
Yeah it seemed to sort itself out over night.

Stanto, the error is when the LED turns an organy colour & wont turn on the laser after a file has been sent. I was doing a lot of small cut in succession so that may have wigged out some cache somewhere? but its seems capable of sorting itself out.

Nic