Big Ass LED Displays: Creating some patterns?

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Mar 24, 2018, 3:40:20 PM3/24/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Would anyone be interested in playing around with the Big-Ass LED Display Project?

We have a nearly-complete "API" that lets anyone stream videos to the panels, we just need some cool patterns to play on them for Makerfaire at the end of April.     The second panel will be ready soon (once the board is built) but for now patterns that work on just one display will be sufficient.

These could be anything from purely artistic/conceptual patterns, to more interesting things, like a game of Tetris or an audio visualiser.  They can either be video files or applications that generate graphics on the fly.  Yes, it'll play Crysis.  I'm looking into the possibility of a thermal camera pattern as well.   Pretty much anything that appears on a laptop screen can be streamed to the panels in glorious 4K*.

If anyone's interested in doing this, perhaps it's a good idea to meet up at a convenient time, say a Tuesday evening or on the weekend.  Post here with your availability if you're interested.

Thanks,

*4,800 total pixels,  genuine 4K HDR technology(TM).

Daniel Fligg

Mar 26, 2018, 9:29:10 AM3/26/18
to Leeds Hackspace
It'd be nice to have some sort of camera -> filter chain -> live video on the screens sorta thing going on.
The one in my head is making silhouettes of people ala ancient apple adverts :)

Does anyone know how to program live video?

Daniel Fligg
Leeds Hackspace Director

samson B

Mar 26, 2018, 11:44:50 AM3/26/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
the screary thing is i do but i dont own the program u can used MAX MSP to do that sort of thing .. i used to no how to make colourfull patterns in blender ill have a look if i get time

samson B

Mar 26, 2018, 11:45:27 AM3/26/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
i might still have cube music i make if you want some atmoss sounds

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Mar 28, 2018, 11:19:18 AM3/28/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Maybe we could use gstreamer for that?  It would be something to ask Hex about as he seems to understand gstreamer quite well.

Ian Kernick

Mar 29, 2018, 9:07:37 AM3/29/18
to Leeds Hack Space
I'm up for getting involved with this.

I have a fairly loose schedule over the next month, so I can be available most week evenings or weekends.

Ian Kernick

Mar 29, 2018, 9:11:00 AM3/29/18
to Leeds Hack Space

On Monday, 26 March 2018 14:29:10 UTC+1, fligg wrote:
It'd be nice to have some sort of camera -> filter chain -> live video on the screens sorta thing going on.
The one in my head is making silhouettes of people ala ancient apple adverts :)

I reckon this would be quite easy to do with a kinect sensor.

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Mar 31, 2018, 12:35:34 PM3/31/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Will be cool to see what you come up with Ian,  if you're in on Tuesday then we can have a chat.

I have got a thermal image on my PC using some Windows software that someone has written for the Seek Thermal.  It's not the best works well enough for what we're trying to do.

Ian Kernick

Apr 3, 2018, 11:06:57 AM4/3/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Awesome, I can come down this evening.

Do you know what time you'll be there from?

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Apr 3, 2018, 1:07:21 PM4/3/18
to Leeds Hack Space
around 7.30-8pm Ian