Magnifier(?) next to Soldering Station

Stanto

Oct 18, 2016, 7:52:07 PM10/18/16
to Leeds Hack Space
So this:

Is sat amongst the soldering station(s).

It's a nice digitising magnifier (forgive me for not knowing the correct word(s) / name).

I have a concern that someone will likely try to solder, while what they're magnifying is sat on such a thing.

So, is it possible to protect it so that people could solder while using it? If so, what do we need to get?

If not, can we have it located elsewhere, or are we happy for it to get covered in solder/possibly damaged? I'm happy for people to tell me I'm wrong.

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Oct 18, 2016, 10:39:11 PM10/18/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I suggest a small sheet of glass across the work area would be sufficient as protection - allows light to pass and would insulate "point heat" well.

Samwise Wilson

Oct 19, 2016, 5:12:34 AM10/19/16
to Leeds Hack Space
It cost £13.50 so go nuts!

Glass / Green mat will probably do.

Also its correct technical name is zoomo 3000.

Stanto

Oct 19, 2016, 5:46:26 AM10/19/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Do we think more heat resistant glass would be needed? I'm not sure where to get it from if so.

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Oct 19, 2016, 6:00:25 AM10/19/16
to Leeds Hack Space
No, ordinary glass melts at like 1400C so that's not an issue.

Martyn

Oct 19, 2016, 6:05:31 AM10/19/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Tom Oldbury (Email #2)
That may well be true but glass shatters if part of it heats up very quickly. I know this because 3d printer beds shatter if not heated or more commonly not slowly cooled rather than just powered off.

On 19 October 2016 12:00:24 CEST, "Tom Oldbury (Email #2)" <told...@gmail.com> wrote:
No, ordinary glass melts at like 1400C so that's not an issue.

timpin .

Oct 19, 2016, 7:10:34 AM10/19/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hence toughened glass

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016, Martyn <mar...@rayard.info> wrote:
That may well be true but glass shatters if part of it heats up very quickly. I know this because 3d printer beds shatter if not heated or more commonly not slowly cooled rather than just powered off.

On 19 October 2016 12:00:24 CEST, "Tom Oldbury (Email #2)" <told...@gmail.com> wrote:
>No, ordinary glass melts at like 1400C so that's not an issue.
>
>--

Tim

Andy51055

Oct 19, 2016, 7:45:14 AM10/19/16
to Leeds Hack Space

Stanto

Oct 19, 2016, 9:23:09 AM10/19/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Aha, I remember the heat bed on the 3d printer shattering/breaking before. I suspect the glass will be warmed due to the lighting beneath it to some extent, though it may not rapidly cool but be susceptible to heat from the soldering iron tip or potentially a heat gun.

I'm not sure about a heat mat because we may want to let light through it where possible? Though frankly a PCB sat on it isn't going to let much light through anyway.

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 12:10:34 UTC+1, timpin . wrote:
Hence toughened glass

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016, Martyn <mar...@rayard.info> wrote:
That may well be true but glass shatters if part of it heats up very quickly. I know this because 3d printer beds shatter if not heated or more commonly not slowly cooled rather than just powered off.

On 19 October 2016 12:00:24 CEST, "Tom Oldbury (Email #2)" <told...@gmail.com> wrote:
>No, ordinary glass melts at like 1400C so that's not an issue.
>
>--

Tim

Samwise Wilson

Oct 19, 2016, 9:25:12 AM10/19/16
to Leeds Hack Space
The bottom light is just for documents, totally useless for soldering because it silhouettes everything. Put a green mat on it!