Leeds Hackspace AGM 20th June 2017

J C

May 26, 2017, 2:35:33 AM5/26/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Dear members,

TLDR: AGM on the open evening 20th June from 8pm. If you are a member you get a say and a vote in how the hackspace runs - the AGM is an excellent time to use it. We also need new/more directors/ committiee members - if you are interested please speak to current ones to find out more

Yes its that time of year again, a bit over a year ago since our last AGM its time to sit down, eat pizza and talk about the hackspace.

The AGM will be on an opem evening as usual at the hackspace at 8pm. Social media will announce for visitors that normal open evening activities cease at 8pm and although they are welcome to stay they dont get a got on decisions.

Current draft agenda as follows:

1.       Minutes and actions from the last meeting

2.       Update from the committee

3.       Hackspace finances update

4.       Open discussion on the following points:

a.       What could have gone better over the last year, any concerns or issues,  how do we want to do things better in the future

b. What went well so we know what to carry on doing.

c.      What do we want to see in the hackspace going forwards equipment/ ideas/ features/ organisation/ roles/ special interest events (can include review of resolution people roles,  the rules update etc)

d.       Getting members involved in making these things happen

5.       Voting in new members of committee / directors

6. AOB

As you can see we are trying things a little differently from last year. The committie run the hackspace on behalf of the members so it is important to hear what you want, were you are unhappy, and how we should be directing our resources.

Open discussions do lend themselves to bikeshedding so please try and keep your comments short and to the point. The chair will try to enforce this.

If you will not be attending but have something you would like shared at the meeting or wish to make a point anonymously then please contact ideally two or more of the committiee/ directors in advance.

As a member you get to have a say and vote in how the hackspace runs and uses its resources, please make use of this.

We need more/ new directors / committiee members. If you are intetested please speak to current directors/ committiee members and get two members with 24/7 access to vouch for you. We would like you to announce your intention to stand at least a week before the AGM to give more people a chance to get to know you if they dont already.

Minuites of the last meeting will be shared closer to the time.

Thank you

Joe Corcoran

Leeds Hackspace Director

Andy51055

May 26, 2017, 2:00:29 PM5/26/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Good to see you're enjoying your holiday, Joe ;-)

Ari Lloyd

Jun 2, 2017, 8:16:12 AM6/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi,

Are there any roles on the committee for data analysts?  Or bloggers?  I like the idea of turning suggestions/projects into infographics to show how the Hackspace is developing.  I also think that some of the projects people do are amazing and even if the finished result doesn't stay in the Hackspace, a blog would serve as a record and hopefully tempt more people into joining.

Thanks,

Matt Collins

Jun 2, 2017, 8:40:53 AM6/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
The committee is very much what you make of it so if that is something you would like to do I'm sure it would be great :)

Matt Collins

Jun 2, 2017, 8:43:57 AM6/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Also we do have a blog and anyone who wants an account is welcome!

J C

Jun 2, 2017, 9:57:02 AM6/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ari,

I’m glad you are interested in getting more into the hackspace J. I figured a (hopefully brief) overview might help. The general role of the directors is to be responsible for the hackspace continuing to run, adhering to the law (notably in terms of holding records of the members, submitting yearly accounts, health and safety and data protection), acting in the best of the members and the hackspace, seeing the general wishes of members as a whole are carried out where possible and sensible. With that in mind it means they get final say on things but are expected to have listened to the membership first.

Roughly. This is the kind of thing that really needs spelling out properly by someone with better skill with words than me but hopefully give you the right idea. It really needs to go into an updated articles of association as ours is seriously out of date.

The committee member position was created to support the directors with this without the final legal responsibility.

While I would welcome you stepping forward as a committee members (and ideally a director) its not necessary if what you want to is blogging/ infographics/data analytics. Several regular members take on responsibilities without being on the committee- for example Stanto does most of our social network stuff.

So if you want to just do the blogging/ infographic / data analytics stuff then you can pretty much just go with it. If you want a vote of confidence behind it then we can raise it at the AGM and I think most people will likely support the idea.

If you want to help out with the day to day behind the scenes running of the hackspace and help ensure that it does continue to run (well(ish)) and grow, then stand for the committee (ideally as a director).

Or do both which would be even better :)

Joe

J C

Jun 12, 2017, 5:50:35 PM6/12/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
As a reminder the AGM is next week

A few people have told me they are interested in standing as committee members / directors. If you still intend to do so please say asap

Myself, Fligg and Matt believe it is important that you be given a chance to vote us in/ out again as we have been in our roles for a few years now and it makes for slightly better democracy.

We really should have a third director as 2 people having the final say doesn't work if there are strong opposing view. More than one new director gives the opportunity for us to step down.

Voting will be healthier and more meaningful if there are more candidates to choose from and if you take the time to get to know the candidates so please announce if you are interested to stand for a position.

As some light reading, please see:
Minuets from the last AGM

Action log since the last AGM

Modified new rules (to ideally be discussed and formally voted on at the AGM) - some changes in red.

Our articles of association, which technically bind us, but which are widely acknowledged to be massively out of date. we want to talk about these a little at the meeting.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Joe

J C

Jun 21, 2017, 3:34:19 AM6/21/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to everyone who attended last night. It was good to see so many of you there and getting involved.

Matt Collins

Jun 21, 2017, 7:35:14 AM6/21/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we ever thanked Kim for taking the minutes... Thanks!

Kim Mason

Jun 25, 2017, 6:13:26 AM6/25/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Minutes are now available here:

Let me know if anything major has been missed off. Thanks

Kim Mason

Matt C

Jul 23, 2017, 6:22:29 AM7/23/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi Kim there seems to be some quite considerable omissions from the end of the meeting.

Kim Mason

Jul 23, 2017, 3:51:44 PM7/23/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,
               In answer to your email, yes there are omissions from the end of the meeting.

As you are no doubt aware, the vote which was supposed to take place in the last fifteen minutes of the meeting was halted by George after comments were made against you by a director regarding your fitness to be on the committee.

At the time, you were standing for a place on the committee and I felt it prudent that whatever the outcome of these accusations, the membership of the hackspace should hear the claims and counterargument in a process mediated by George rather than from myself.

The minutes released were a cleaned up, condensed version, as I can type fast but not accurately spelling wise. The original version was sent to the directors on the night of the AGM, and I am sure this can be obtained should anyone wish to see it.

Hope this helps,
Kim