Clean up after yourselves - If you want ants, this is how you get ants

Stanto

Jan 6, 2017, 4:33:17 PM1/6/17
to Leeds Hack Space

Please take 5-10 minutes before you leave, or when you arrive, to clean up, I'm probably talking to people that already do - if so, and you find someone new's ordered pizza, or a visitor, ask them to take 5 minutes and clean up their rubbish or to take it with them.

Everyone can spare 5 minutes, so please ask others to do so, including yourselves, be it cans or otherwise.

If it's not clear where bins are, speak up!

Andy51055

Jan 6, 2017, 4:40:17 PM1/6/17
to Leeds Hack Space

Ants? This isn't the Mediterranean, here in Leeds we have rats. Big effing rats that will chew through wires and stuff. They won't just eat leftover food, they'll have a go at anything that someone with food-grease fingers has touched.

And we will have rats in the space very soon if people leave their food lying around.

Putting it in the bin is all well and good but it will still attract the rats if the bin isn't emptied after Tuesday nights and weekends when people have eaten in the space.

It's not that hard, folks.

Andy51055

Jan 11, 2017, 12:26:15 PM1/11/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I made a folding table out of some of the wood from the darkroom yesterday and brought it home. Today whichever room it's in smells of mice/rats.

It may just be the wood. It may not.

samson B

Jan 12, 2017, 11:51:34 AM1/12/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
mess + 😱😨😵😰==💀for rats or us .If people do still leave it in a mess we should paint the bins bright pink so people cant miss them ;-)

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Andy51055 <you...@51055.com> wrote:
I made a folding table out of some of the wood from the darkroom yesterday and brought it home. Today whichever room it's in smells of mice/rats.

It may just be the wood. It may not.

gkee...@hotmail.co.uk

Jan 12, 2017, 2:06:53 PM1/12/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Or just put offender into the bin.

Christopher Stanton

Jan 12, 2017, 3:16:43 PM1/12/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Talk to people.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 at 19:06 <gkee...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
Or just put offender into the bin.

Andy51055

Feb 2, 2017, 11:17:20 AM2/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Thanks to all our assiduous avoidance techniques we got our first dead mouse last week! Keep this up and we can reach undreamed-of levels of carnage in no time.

Don't worry, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't eat at the space.

Daniel F

Feb 2, 2017, 11:21:29 AM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Not eating at the space is probably unrealistic. Certainly it offends me on a par with the temperature.

As much as people need to tidy up after themselves, I think we want to make this as easy as possible.

The workshop could ideally do with wood, metal, recycling and general rubbish bins (sawdust into a metal mesh bin just isn't going to work) .
I suggest we do similar for the main room too, especially a bin for food waste that is somewhat chewproof.

Any thoughts?

On 2 Feb 2017 16:17, "Andy51055" <you...@51055.com> wrote:
Thanks to all our assiduous avoidance techniques we got our first dead mouse last week! Keep this up and we can reach undreamed-of levels of carnage in no time.

Don't worry, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't eat at the space.

J C

Feb 2, 2017, 11:26:32 AM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Ill grab some bins on the way in on Saturday. But one of the issues is bins get full and then piled on instead of emptied. More bins makes it easier to have piles of rubbish hanging around the space for longer. There are signs for the bins outside, there has been encouragement for bins to be emptied and yet it continues. Suggestions for getting more people to take the rubbish outside are very welcome.

Andy51055

Feb 2, 2017, 11:33:33 AM2/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Free snack of your choice for every full bin taken to the outside bin?

(Backdate it and bang! goes my diet ;-) )

J C

Feb 2, 2017, 11:45:51 AM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Well had talked to others (Stanto? Alex?) About gamification of tasks. If/when rfid cards linked to paying for things like laser time or inductions on machines you could earn tokens for tasks ( taking out bins, doing a blog post, running a workshop) which could be redeemed for inductions or machine time. For example. May envolve creating an economy. And lots of work to setup and maintain.

Stanto

Feb 2, 2017, 12:11:48 PM2/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I also suggested talking to people, and asking them to "take 5 minutes" to take out the/their rubbish / crap with them / throw their takeaway order away (which can be suggested when they make said order).

Tuesday was mostly cleaner than I'd seen for a while, though there was a half eaten pizza in the fridge that hadn't followed the 'add the date' advice stuck to the front, so I labelled the current date onto it.

If we're getting mice can we invent a 'honey pot' mice-run that they can get trapped in and entertain the space? What do you mean that's ridiculous and unsanitary? Aww.

On Thursday, 2 February 2017 16:45:51 UTC, Japoteg wrote:
Well had talked to others (Stanto? Alex?) About gamification of tasks. If/when rfid cards linked to paying for things like laser time or inductions on machines you could earn tokens for tasks ( taking out bins, doing a blog post, running a workshop) which could be redeemed for inductions or machine time. For example. May envolve creating an economy. And lots of work to setup and maintain.
On 2 Feb 2017 4:33 pm, "Andy51055" <you...@51055.com> wrote:
Free snack of your choice for every full bin taken to the outside bin?

(Backdate it and bang! goes my diet ;-) )

Matt Collins

Feb 2, 2017, 12:19:55 PM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I think instilling people with a sense of responsibility is key, everyone who comes to the space I make it clear there is no one who comes and tidies up or takes out rubbish, nothing happens at the Hackspace without the members doing it etx.

Along with that we need to provide them the means to do so! I think we should get 4-6 of these or something similar:

Matt Collins

Feb 2, 2017, 12:22:46 PM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Meh bad link...

Alex Silcock

Feb 2, 2017, 12:22:53 PM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
though there was a half eaten pizza in the fridge that hadn't followed the 'add the date' advice stuck to the front, so I labelled the current date onto it.

I added the note to the fridge in response to the pizza being in there on Saturday (no idea how long it had been there when I saw it) - I hoped the original owner might retrieve it/label it if it was for public consumption.

Matt Collins

Feb 2, 2017, 12:33:38 PM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

gkee...@hotmail.co.uk

Feb 2, 2017, 12:33:48 PM2/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Could we get our hands on a non workshop only hover too.

I haven't see any other signs of vermin. Even in the wood pile in the darkroom when I was moving he stuff around in thee yesterday.

Daniel F

Feb 2, 2017, 12:37:05 PM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Pizza in the fridge was entirely my fault, apologies. It will be properly binned next time I'm down. Totally forgot to eat it on Tuesday :(

Metal bins seem like a great idea, though 90l might be a bit big. Something we can get proper bin bags for and that are then carryable make sense to me.

timpin .

Feb 2, 2017, 1:54:03 PM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I'm more than happy to put in for a couple of large bins and a supply of black liners.
Do we have a disposal point now that Inc has closed?
Suggest we could use a sack barrow to take full bins out.
Tim

Andy51055

Feb 2, 2017, 6:04:24 PM2/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space
In my experience, the more bins you have, the more full bins you get before any of them are emptied.

We have very little that can be recycled (Leeds won't recycle pizza boxes) - I've been putting cardboard in the front area and taking it out when there's an armful - so a recycle bin won't be hugely useful.

And everything else goes in the waste bin outside, so we may as well just have one big bin in the workshop, one in the craft area and one in the main area.

Matt Collins

Feb 2, 2017, 6:47:45 PM2/2/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Ok so four big bins should do it...

gkee...@hotmail.co.uk

Feb 2, 2017, 7:54:16 PM2/2/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Not sure anywhere recycle pizza boxes due to grease