Large (broken) clock in Hackspace

Anzir Boodoo

Mar 30, 2017, 8:03:33 AM3/30/17
to 'Aidan Dunbar' via Leeds Hack Space
Hi,

I’m just wondering about the broken clock with the massive digits…

I’ve just been asked if I can build a countdown clock of that sort of scale, so wondering if anyone knows where the digits were from and how much they might be

Thanks

Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT | Urbanist, Samuel L. Foxton
http://samuellfoxton.wordpress.com
Twitter: @samuellfoxton Facebook, Pinterest & YouTube: Samuel L. Foxton

Matt Collins

Mar 30, 2017, 8:17:49 AM3/30/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Paul Brook got them from an old cricket scoreboard, worth getting in touch with him.

Don't think the clock is broken just not setup.

samson B

Mar 30, 2017, 10:51:59 AM3/30/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
yep the clock dose work just waiting for the server to go back up as it only works with the space is declared open.

Ian Oliver

Mar 30, 2017, 11:10:41 AM3/30/17
On 2017-03-30 13:03, Anzir Boodoo wrote:
> I’ve just been asked if I can build a countdown clock of that sort of scale, so wondering if anyone knows where the digits were from and how much they might be

Some cheap COB strips from ebay could work, or LED strips with lots of
diffusion, or pre-made LED light bars. Lots of options. I use LED strips
in aluminium profile with snap-in diffusers, but for smaller bits I 3D
print the profile for the LEDs.

Here is a project that might inspire.

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/47

And here is a desk lamp I made recently using COB strips.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2194847

Ian

Stanto

Mar 30, 2017, 12:00:28 PM3/30/17
to Leeds Hack Space
There is a box of them at the space. Paul was selling them iirc.

Samwise Wilson

Mar 31, 2017, 6:34:22 AM3/31/17
to Leeds Hack Space
You can get the segments in sizes from 10"-30"ish in various colours or as 7 together:

Aidan Dunbar

Mar 31, 2017, 6:35:24 AM3/31/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure Paul bought the segments new. I remember seeing a big box of them.

gareth....@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2017, 3:16:59 PM4/17/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I think you can get electroluminescent strips that might work but they are not super bright

Anzir Boodoo

Apr 17, 2017, 3:21:42 PM4/17/17
to 'Aidan Dunbar' via Leeds Hack Space
Gareth,
> On 17 Apr 2017, at 20:16, gareth....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I think you can get electroluminescent strips that might work but they are not super bright

Good point - I had thought of using EL tape (or similar), but LED strip might be better, even though it would mean having to use a 12V supply (there must be 5V LED strip somewhere…)

I’m hoping to talk to the people who want it built tomorrow