Dont cut this wire

Samwise Wilson

Jul 27, 2016, 2:28:09 PM7/27/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Don't cut this wire again

http://imgur.com/NbCvNkz

It goes across the front workshop wall

it costs £5000 to replace.

Daniel Fligg

Jul 27, 2016, 2:38:04 PM7/27/16
to Leeds Hackspace

Again?

Samwise Wilson

Jul 27, 2016, 2:47:31 PM7/27/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Was cut around 3 weeks ago, pure luck that it had enough length to splice this time. It runs the phonelines for 14 other units.

Daniel Fligg

Jul 27, 2016, 3:01:14 PM7/27/16
to Leeds Hackspace

Wow... Yeah, let's not do that... Again o_0

Andy51055

Jul 27, 2016, 5:04:55 PM7/27/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Not entirely pure luck, there was a bit of geometry involved in working out where to drill the new hole from next door to ensure enough slack. But a very kind BT engineer was happy to fix rather than replace it and put it down to "accidental damage" so no-one gets charged when he found out that we are a community workshop being built by volunteers.

My worry now is that there is another cable just the same that was cut before we got involved with the place. BT guy's advice is to tie it up above the suspended ceiling and just leave it alone. Forever. Sounds good to me.

Daniel Fligg

Jul 27, 2016, 6:10:00 PM7/27/16
to Leeds Hackspace

If possible can we stick something like barrier tape along the current super expensive to fix cable, just to make it bleeding obvious when we've totally forgot about it in 6 years time. Please?

On an unrelated note I should have half a mile of "caution!" style barrier tape arriving tomorrow :)

On 27 Jul 2016 22:04, "Andy51055" <you...@51055.com> wrote:
Not entirely pure luck, there was a bit of geometry involved in working out where to drill the new hole from next door to ensure enough slack. But a very kind BT engineer was happy to fix rather than replace it and put it down to "accidental damage" so no-one gets charged when he found out that we are a community workshop being built by volunteers.

My worry now is that there is another cable just the same that was cut before we got involved with the place. BT guy's advice is to tie it up above the suspended ceiling and just leave it alone. Forever. Sounds good to me.

Samwise Wilson

Jul 27, 2016, 7:42:27 PM7/27/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Thanks for sorting that out Andy!

I'm sure we can come up with some way to mark it and then secure it to not be disturbed, easy enough above the suspend.

Marc Jennings

Aug 2, 2016, 6:54:13 AM8/2/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Stick it inside some cheap trunking, seal it with gaffa tape a attach "NO!" signs to the trunking.  ;)