Bench Grinder - Safety & Courtesy

Aidan Dunbar

Apr 15, 2018, 7:59:20 AM4/15/18
to LHS mailing list
The bench grinder has recently been used and abused.

For new members who don’t know, you absolutely cannot use the bench grinding wheels to grind aluminium. The aluminium will clog the pores of the wheel and potentially cause heat to rise in the wheel such that it explodes.

Secondly, it’s incredibly poor manners to leave the wheel with a massive groove in it, as per the first photo attached. Please use the diamond wheel dresser (second photo) to restore flat working surfaces to the grinder, and use the entirety of the wheel when you are grinding things.

When dressing the wheel please ensure that you are wearing a dust mask as part of the usual PPE and that you clean up thoroughly. Strangely enough the hat is highly abrasive.

If the bench grinder continues to be abused we will consider requiring an induction and adding it to the tool-access scheme currently under development.

Thanks,

Aidan
LHS Committee

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

gkee...@hotmail.co.uk

Apr 15, 2018, 10:30:01 AM4/15/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Worth noting whenever you start the thing don't stand I front of it of and make sure no one's down range. I'm informed when they do go it tends to be when there first spun up.