Leeds Museums and Galleries visit to Leeds Hack Space - Monday 17th August

Elizabeth Chadwick

Aug 11, 2015, 10:00:42 AM8/11/15
to Leeds Hack Space
Hello,

Joe introduced me to this group after I contacted him about the Craft Hack event at Leeds City Museum.

My name is Elizabeth Chadwick and I work for Leeds Museums and Galleries digital media team. We're currently looking out for workshop ideas and facilitators for the Leeds Museum Craft Hack event on 14 October 2015, 10:30am - 16:30pm.

I'll be arriving at Leeds Hack Space with my colleague, Dom Attwood (Digital Media Manager), at 7pm next Monday to take a look around and it would be really nice to sit down and have a chat with people who might be interested in facilitating a workshop at the museum and also chat about any ideas you may have. Joe has suggested that we do this around 8pm, when most people will be in.

I hope this sounds OK? It will be really nice to see what you get up to and talk about how we could work together.

My email address is Elizabeth...@leeds.gov.uk if you want to get in touch before then.

Many thanks,

Liz

Daniel Fligg

Aug 11, 2015, 11:02:45 AM8/11/15
to Leeds Hackspace
Hi Elizabeth,

Can I just confirm the "next Monday" part? We usually do our open days on a Tuesday evening, so if you're hoping for people to be about...

With thanks,

Fligg

J C

Aug 13, 2015, 8:52:58 AM8/13/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Fligg, Its Tuesday I told her is the best day to come down. so assume Monday is a mistake here.

I think it would be an excellent opportunity if we can make something happen for this. Its a bit of a pain it being a weekday but Im happy to take a day off to do this. I think its a good way for reaching out to more people and get them interested in joining. as it may reach people we don't usually reach at the moment.

Plus its running workshops with some of the work done for us (organising venues and advertising.

I have a few ideas on the kind of workshops we could run, with varying levels of practicality. Im happy to put a lot of wok into this and any help running this on the day or helping the preparations would be appreciated

Design and 3d print your own buttons for clothes (3D printing take a long time so printing for lots of people would have to be something simple/ small.

People can bring something to be laser etched if they bring and object and a design.

If you have anyone doing  leather object making workshop its easy to use the laser cutter to engrave the leather. Have made my own wallet and engraved it this way. Possibly we could do a wallet/ leather wrist bad workshop and then engrave them with people's own designs but would need a few of us with that. Also the laser is big and heavy to move, might need assistance to do that.

One of my personal upcoming projects is to inbed fibre optic wire into wood panel to have a lit up star map (this is to turn into a nice coffee table for my sister in the end) so that would combine laser cutting/ drilling for the holes and wiring up fibre optic lights to a basic led circuit people could assemble themselves.

Finally off the top of my head I saw this today http://news.mlh.io/arduino-borealis-07-24-2015 which looks interesting but probably pricey for the LEDS matrixes and I have no skill with paining. (ill probably attempt this or similar myself one day but at the moment its low down on my personal list of projects)

We could set up the vinyl cutter so people can make their own T-shirt designs and we have a heat press to put the design onto a T shirt too.

Using the Lilly Pad and conductive thread to make basic programmable wearable.

Though and help appreciated.

Joe

Elizabeth Chadwick

Aug 17, 2015, 9:19:10 AM8/17/15
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. We're coming down tomorrow (Tuesday 18th August).

Liz

J C

Sep 9, 2015, 2:25:30 PM9/9/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
OK so who is interested and able to help run some workshops on october 15th?

Requested workshops are
laser cut a thing
vinyl cut a thing and heat press it onto a t-shirt
design a button in tinkercad and 3d print it.
decorate somthing with EL wire.
decorate something with littlypad (just sew components together onto object/ material
decorate something with littlypad sew components together onto object/ material and adjust the programming to change what the lights do.

looking to have about 8 attendees for each workshop. The Museum is looking to provide extra hands which we hope to be able to give a bit of extra training to prepare them to help usefully.

Also we get paid. Haven't worked out how much yet as I dont know how much we should be asking for.  Suggestions welcome.

All help greatly appreciated.

Joe

Jon Stockill

Sep 10, 2015, 6:28:14 AM9/10/15
On 09.09.2015 19:25, J C wrote:
> OK so who is interested and able to help run some workshops on october
> 15th?
>
> Requested workshops are
> laser cut a thing
> vinyl cut a thing and heat press it onto a t-shirt
> design a button in tinkercad and 3d print it.
> decorate somthing with EL wire.
> decorate something with littlypad (just sew components together onto
> object/ material
> decorate something with littlypad sew components together onto object/
> material and adjust the programming to change what the lights do.
>
> looking to have about 8 attendees for each workshop. The Museum is
> looking to provide extra hands which we hope to be able to give a bit
> of extra training to prepare them to help usefully.
>
> Also we get paid. Haven't worked out how much yet as I dont know how
> much we should be asking for. Suggestions welcome.
>
> All help greatly appreciated.

Would happily do any of those, however, its on a Thursday, so I can't go
:-/

--
Jon Stockill
li...@stockill.net

J C

Sep 10, 2015, 6:45:29 AM9/10/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

My mistake its the 14th and during the day from 1030 til 1630